Loved the decision to pitch Lackey in the 8th

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Loved the decision to pitch Lackey in the 8th

Of course, it all worked out, so it's easy to support this decision now.  Still, I was stoked when I saw him warming up and thought it was a great decision for several reasons:

1.  I don't trust Tazawa to hold the lead.

2.  They need to conserve Koji.

3.  Lackey has two days off before Game 6.  It's like he's getting his bullpen work in as scheduled, but under real game conditions.  Plus, his workload in Game 2 wasn't overly heavy.  He should still be effective in Game 6.  

4.  It was convenient in double switching the pitcher's spot with Napoli after they decided to pinch run for Papi.  They could have switched around other players, but they wouldn't want to have to have Koji hit if they had to bring him in early in the 8th if Tazawa looked vulnerable (a strong possibility).

5.  Outside of Koji, he was clearly the best man for the job.  Outside of Tazawa, we're looking at a choice between Workman, Morales, and Dempster.  Workman is not a bad choice, but he threw 30 pitches in Game 3.  He will likely be needed for Game 5 and beyond.  Plus, Lackey has already proven himself against this lineup.  The only question was could he do it in an unfamiliar role.

Lackey has already been to the top of mountain.  He may very well carry his teammates with him there again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Re: Loved the decision to pitch Lackey in the 8th

Dempster has been a forgotten man in the playoffs. I thought he would have come in to pitch the 5th I after Buchholz was pinch hit for since Doubront pitched in Game 3. Doubront looked great last night though - the Sox really needed those two quick, clean innings. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Of course, it all worked out, so it's easy to support this decision now.  Still, I was stoked when I saw him warming up and thought it was a great decision for several reasons:

3.  Lackey has two days off before Game 6.  It's like he's getting his bullpen work in as scheduled, but under real game conditions.  Plus, his workload in Game 2 wasn't overly heavy.  He should still be effective in Game 6.  

4.  It was convenient in double switching the pitcher's spot with Napoli after they decided to pinch run for Papi.  They could have switched around other players, but they wouldn't want to have to have Koji hit if they had to bring him in early in the 8th if Tazawa looked vulnerable (a strong possibility).

5.  Outside of Koji, he was clearly the best man for the job.  Outside of Tazawa, we're looking at a choice between Workman, Morales, and Dempster.  Workman is not a bad choice, but he threw 30 pitches in Game 3.  He will likely be needed for Game 5 and beyond.  Plus, Lackey has already proven himself against this lineup.  The only question was could he do it in an unfamiliar role.

Lackey has already been to the top of mountain.  He may very well carry his teammates with him there again.

Smart gutsy move !!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

A pretty gutsy move by Farrell 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

Dempster has been a forgotten man in the playoffs. I thought he would have come in to pitch the 5th I after Buchholz was pinch hit for since Doubront pitched in Game 3. Doubront looked great last night though - the Sox really needed those two quick, clean innings. 

But Farrell knew that the Cardinals struggled against lefties in all year along.  That is why I do not understand why Breslow is afraid to pitch against them!!

Dempster is more likely would ruin the game for the Red Sox.  Farrell did the right thing last nite.  Probably one of the best management game that he managed in the whole series.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Its great to see this team battle hard, I have been a yankees fan all my life but since the Marathon bombing i pledged to root for all boston teams. I have been a bruins and celtics fan all my life and the theres the cowboys, but again im rooting for the patriots.

I sincerely would love to the red sox win this year, seeing that Boston Strong on the feild stil sends chikks down my spine.

I really liked what lackey did in last nights game, Lets go Boston

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

THIS IS A RIDICULOUS STATEMENT, THE GUY HAS KEPT SO MANY KEY LEADS WITH CLUTCH K'S AND DOUBLE PLAYS, I MORE THAN WANT HIM OUT THERE WITH GAME ON THE LINE. HELL, HE DID IT V. HOLLIDAY FOR HIS ONLY BATTER.

THIS IS THE WORLD SERIES, YOU DON'T CONSERVE A LIGHTS-OUT CLOSER

IT WAS A GREAT MOVE, AND IT WORKED

AGAIN THE RIP ON TAZAWA, UNCALLED FOR...

IT WAS A LOGICAL PLAY TO USE HIM, BETTER  PLAY THAT THEY USED DOUBRONT LIKE THEY DID

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

CONSIDERING HE CHOKED ON NOT BRINGING IN NAPOLI TO BAT IN GAME 3, CONTINUED TO CALL ON BRESLOW WHEN ANYONE CAN TELL HE'S SIMPLY SPOOKED NOW, AND HIS SUPERMAN STATUS HAS BEEN KRYPTONITED, AND THAT HE CHOSE TO LET WORKMAN BAT IN THE FIRST PLACE....I'D CALL IT A GOOD MOVE, NOT GUTSY.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Dempster has been forgotten for good reasons. You won't see him unless its a blow out for either team. He can't be trusted at all. He made Sox fans nervous in game 1. No need for him right now. Doubront saved the day for sure. Stellar performance....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

CONSIDERING HE CHOKED ON NOT BRINGING IN NAPOLI TO BAT IN GAME 3, CONTINUED TO CALL ON BRESLOW WHEN ANYONE CAN TELL HE'S SIMPLY SPOOKED NOW, AND HIS SUPERMAN STATUS HAS BEEN KRYPTONITED, AND THAT HE CHOSE TO LET WORKMAN BAT IN THE FIRST PLACE....I'D CALL IT A GOOD MOVE, NOT GUTSY.

Nah I'll stick with it being a gutsy move. Lackey is starting pitcher who's used to a certain routine and hasn't pitch in relief since 04. it turned out being a good move but it was a gutsy call to make.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

But Farrell knew that the Cardinals struggled against lefties in all year along.  That is why I do not understand why Breslow is afraid to pitch against them!!

Dempster is more likely would ruin the game for the Red Sox.  Farrell did the right thing last nite.  Probably one of the best management game that he managed in the whole series.   

Breslow isnt afraid. Hes just ineffective right now. Welcome to middle relief.

I thought the double switch with naps and using Lackey were brilliant moves

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Lackey did a good job between the shot blockers...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Nah I'll stick with it being a gutsy move. Lackey is starting pitcher who's used to a certain routine and hasn't pitch in relief since 04. it turned out being a good move but it was a gutsy call to make.

Probably just replaced his bullpen session with a live session. I dont think the routine was altered too much. It was a good call and a gutsy call.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Probably just replaced his bullpen session with a live session. I dont think the routine was altered too much. It was a good call and a gutsy call.

Mornin' SP...missed ya last night..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

After some questionable calls in Game 3, Farrell redeemed himself last night with some excellent managing.

Not that I'm questioning the move, but I wonder what the reaction would be like if Lackey had come in and blown the game.  I'm sure there would be a lot of complaining about how stupid that very same move was.

Francona said it best:  If you win, you're smart.  If you lose, you're dumb.  LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

After some questionable calls in Game 3, Farrell redeemed himself last night with some excellent managing.

Not that I'm questioning the move, but I wonder what the reaction would be like if Lackey had come in and blown the game.  I'm sure there would be a lot of complaining about how stupid that very same move was.

Francona said it best:  If you win, you're smart.  If you lose, you're dumb.  LOL

hi Kimmi!!..so, are you admitting that Theo was only a sometimes genius? Tongue Out Wink 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Mornin' SP...missed ya last night..

Hey Jete! I got an invite to my brothers house, so I was there for the game. I should be in the "Frat Chat" tonight.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'll admit I was skeptical at best. Had I been the skipper,  I'd have  left Tazawa and hoped for  at least  one out, then gone to Koji.  But this way worked  out way better.  As I've always said,  we  can second-guess all we want, but only John Farrell truly knows his personnel.

But this is the thing about managerial moves.  Today, everyone's praising Farrell  for going with Lackey.  But had Lackey served up a tying homer, everyone would have  been all over  Farrell  for a stupid move. Point being,  managers  make decisions, but whether they work or not is largely out of their  hands.

On a semi-related note, I was screaming in the 9th "Why are  we  holding the runner  at first with a two-run lead in the 9th?!? Napoli,  move over!!!" And then we pick  the guy off. Show's what I know.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

hi Kimmi!!..so, are you admitting that Theo was only a sometimes genius? Tongue Out Wink 

Hi Jete!  I am admitting nothing!  Sealed  LOL

I believe Cherington is fast approaching "genius" status, don't you agree?  Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Hi Jete!  I am admitting nothing!  Sealed  LOL

I believe Cherington is fast approaching "genius" status, don't you agree?  Wink

LOL....wait, are you telling me i have to change your group name to the ROOB's? Tongue OutWink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

What about removing Felix for another lefy? One who imploded last time out. still scratching my head over that one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I was shaking my head when he made the Move.....I really thought it would have been better to leave Tazawa in.....and that is why I am not the Manager of the Boston Red Sox

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from den666. Show den666's posts

That was a nice move. Had the result been bad, it still would have been a nice move. Sometimes a manager who has had prior experience as a pitching coach can definitely use it to his advantage.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

What about removing Felix for another lefy? One who imploded last time out. still scratching my head over that one.

Maybe Farrell do not want Felix to be over-work, and he need him for game 6 and game 7. I do not think he ll be available tonite, but I could be wrong.  

Farrell wouldnt think Breslow would keep struggling for three games in a row.  But, I just think he may not be his fault from game 2 and 3.  Game two, Salty couldnt throw out the runner at 3rd when St Louis had two baserunners going for a double steal which that would easily have gotten the second outs at 3b, and also at the same time it would make much eaiser for Breslow to work on the next batter.    Then game 3, Breslow got the first batter to hit a ground ball to Bogaerts at SS.  Had Farrell left Drew there, Drew would have made that play while this rookie Bogaerts couldnt.  Really I just sometime think the defense could not get the job done for him at the same time it is a tight game.  

I would still use Breslow again, and hopefully Farrell have all the better defenders on the field for him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

He didn't implode last time out.  He gave up an infield single that Bogaerts should have  played better and barely nipped Beltran's elbow with a pitch -- which Beltran did nothing to avoid.  I wouldn't have hesitated to put Breslow in last night. But of course hindsight is  always pretty clear.

By the way, Breslow will pitch again. Maybe  not tonight, but Wednesday and/or Thursday.  We're going to  need him.

Sections
Shortcuts