low cost....high reward?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cleglyjones. Show cleglyjones's posts

low cost....high reward?

Does anyone have any info on the likes of former all stars such as Brandon Webb or Ben Sheets etc.....Wasn't sure if they were under contract with another team or if they were free agents finishing up their rehabs?  I know we missed on Smoltz and Penny a few years back but perhaps given our financial situation this offseason, maybe these are a couple former studs we should take a look at?  Also, any updates on Joel Zumaya?  Maybe another low cost high reward setup man/closer type?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: low cost....high reward?

I'm pretty sure both are free agenst and still available.  They might be on the radar still.  As you say, low cost, high reward.  That is the play the Sox are in a position to work on.  But they need to see how other things work out first.

According to MLB.com:  Webb hasn't pitched for 2 seasons and Sheets for one (and Sheets is listed only as a retired player by MLB.com)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

I'll pass on Sheets and Webb with pitchers like, Jon Galand, Joe Saunders, Rich Harden, Bartolo Colon, Jeff Francis, Paul Maholm, and Jason Marquis still available one has to be a better option then either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Harden is very comparable, talent wise, to Webb, IMO.  And he at least still is pitching.  The question is if he can be had cheap.  Marquis, Maholm, Francis and Colon all make me think there are better in-house options (Bard, Aceves and Doubront or Tazawa).  I'd rather take the money they will command and use it on some relievers to fill our closer and mid-relief openings.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I wouldn't write off any of them, esp. as I have not scouted them, have no access to their medical records, etc.  Maybe others on this forum have done so and/or do.

Who would have though Colon would have done as well as he did in 2011 for the Yankees?  Very good performance, for very few dollars after only pitching in 48 games over the previous 5 seasons.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Harden comparable to Webb?  Are you kidding?  Okay, Webb has been hurt so I wouldn't say that I rather have Webb.   But, when healthy, they aren't even close.

His last 3 years Webb won 16, 18, and 22 games.  Harden has NEVER won more than 11 in his career.  His last 3 years Webb had an ERA high of 3.30.  Harden has been over 4 and 5 the past 2.  Webb's worst WHIP the last 3 years was 1.19.  Harden was 1.34 and 1.66.

Colon actually pitched pretty well for us until he got hurt swinging a few years ago.  I was surprised the Sox didn't give him more of a shot after he healed from his injury.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Colon actually pitched pretty well for us until he got hurt swinging a few years ago.  I was surprised the Sox didn't give him more of a shot after he healed from his injury."

You obviously forgot that they asked Colon to pitch out of the bullpen at the end of that yr and he quit on the team and went home instead.  No way that d bag was going to be asked back.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to low cost....high reward?:
    Does anyone have any info on the likes of former all stars such as Brandon Webb or Ben Sheets etc.....Wasn't sure if they were under contract with another team or if they were free agents finishing up their rehabs?  I know we missed on Smoltz and Penny a few years back but perhaps given our financial situation this offseason, maybe these are a couple former studs we should take a look at?  Also, any updates on Joel Zumaya?  Maybe another low cost high reward setup man/closer type?
    Posted by cleglyjones

I think par is right, not sure what kind of shape either is in but always worth a look.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Webb has 4 IPs in the last 3 years.

Sheets missed 2009, had a 4.53 in 2010 and missed 2011.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: low cost....high reward?:
    Webb has 4 IPs in the last 3 years. Sheets missed 2009, had a 4.53 in 2010 and missed 2011.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Guys, I can see looking into every possibility that may help us "short term" but how often has it ever worked?  Why can't we just look at options that may cover our previous mistakes just for once?

I looked at the "Dice" bidding as being a complete lack of intuition on the part of Theo and company.  Why bid on a pitcher "even though 26/27" at the time, that had enough innings on his arm in Japan as a 32/33 year old pitcher in the majors?  Why sign a guy like Lackey who the Sox personally beat the crap out of in Fenway and usually struggled with the Yankees? 

Why can't we finally trade a piece of our team that still has value, or what we feel may be solid prospects for a young SP?  Our present farm doesn't have any hopefuls other than maybe Barnes and "bargain basement signings" and FA's have killed us.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Lack on intuition? Does that translate into " No crystal Ball"? Who knew that Dice-K would need Tommy John surgery? Amazing?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

In Response to Re: low cost....high reward?:
    Harden comparable to Webb?  Are you kidding?  Okay, Webb has been hurt so I wouldn't say that I rather have Webb.   But, when healthy, they aren't even close. His last 3 years Webb won 16, 18, and 22 games.  Harden has NEVER won more than 11 in his career.  His last 3 years Webb had an ERA high of 3.30.  Harden has been over 4 and 5 the past 2.  Webb's worst WHIP the last 3 years was 1.19.  Harden was 1.34 and 1.66. Colon actually pitched pretty well for us until he got hurt swinging a few years ago.  I was surprised the Sox didn't give him more of a shot after he healed from his injury.
    Posted by sjddaj

I love how things get twisted.  I say that IMO Harden is comparable to Webb Talent-wise.  Then you say comparable?  and proceed to cite win totals as proof that they are not comparable.

First, it is my opinion, as I stated...one based on the statistics both put up when healthy.  Their WHIP, ERAs and Ks per 9 are very comparable, using Webb's 6 healthy years and Harden's 4.  The last two seasons Harden has been battling injury and Webb hasn't even pitched a major league inning.  If Harden could be had for cheap, I'd prefer him.  Take away his last two seasons and his WHIP is about 1.25 and his ERA under 3.40.  Not a bad option for a number 5 or 6 starter, just don't count on him pitching more than 140 innings.  Don't think you could count on even that many from Webb, but if he is interested in pitching again and willing to go for an incentive laden deal, then he is also worth a shot as your #6 starter, due to his level of talent when healthy.  Either is a better option than Maholm or Marquis, IMO.  They don't have the talent that Harden and Webb or Sheets have.  Rather see the Sox give Tazawa, Doubront, or even Bowden the starts.  (I am assuming Bard and Aceves or some other acquired starter fill out the top 5 after Beckett, Lester and Buchholz.)

Sections
Shortcuts