Lowrie & Tek.: End of Discussion!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Lowrie & Tek.: End of Discussion!

Lowrie MUST stay at SS.  It makes absolutely NO sense to play him at 3rd.  Yuke needs to get comfortable there, & I don't think we want him DH ing for every leftie!  Francona simply HAS TO bite the bullet & make Lowrie the starter.  I love Scutaro too, but this TEAM, & this manager can NOT AFFORD to mess around anymore.

Tek MUST become the 'starting' catcher!  3 out of 5 games.  I've been saying this for the past week & 1/2..... BUT if you don't buy it from me, listen to Lou Merloni & the rest of the crew on NESN's Baseball Show.  I've got great respect for Merloni's opinion, & he is NOT one to over-react.  He was pretty adamant about both of these points this morning.

THIS MUST HAPPEN NOW!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Lowrie & Tek.: End of Discussion!

Yes, but you can't Tek.  He isn't short on skill, he's short on youth.  We likely need another catcher.  You can play Tek everyday, but he'd be gone halfway thru May.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

You waited to post this after Lowrie hit a homer over the monster. He hit it right handed over the short pop-up wall. In the last loss, he came up hitting left handed and hit a weak fly ball to CF when the game was in the balance.

Scutaro has the two biggest RBI hits of the year, one that beat the Yankees.

Against RHP, Scutaro has better career numbers dating back to last year and beyond.

Lowrie's career v. RHP numbers, and last year, aren't good enough to merit changing from the role he's in. Scutaro is quicker on his feet and has a stronger arm. Lowrie has a slow release and very little range and doesn't move well on his feet. He should start at SS against most LH starting pitching and come off the bench and play backup 3B, 2B, 1B, with Youk DH'ing the lefty starters that Ortiz has terrible career numbers against. Unlike Scutaro, he is the better pinch hitter role option when he's not starting, which will be plenty enough vs. LH pitching. 

To change Lowrie's role would require getting Scutaro regular workouts at 1st or dropping one of the OF RH bats from the active roster and calling up another corner IF'er. Unless Lowrie improves his hitting vs. RHP, the cost exceeds the benefit. The team needs and Lowrie's strengths and weaknesses are better served by starting at SS against most LH starting pitchers and having him come off the bench and backup start at the other IF positions.   

The tiny sample on Lowrie is classic MLB fools gold excitement. He is under the radar on the hitter scouting books because he came in after the Red Sox were out of the playoffs at the end of last season. Before that, he hadn't been around since 2008 second half, other than a few false starts and DL stint. 

As it is, Lowrie's career hitting v. RHP, including last year, is no more than marginal. 

As Lowrie plays more his numbers will decline. Playing a couple of months in selective spots with rest after last year's team was out of the playoffs does not a career average make.  He is a career 2nd baseman, marginal career 3rd baseman because he doesn't slug well enough v. RHP. 

Lowrie was given the UIF/platoon v. LHP role for a reason. He fits it, while Scutaro doesn't. 

Salty will have zero bearing on how the team pitching does. Lester hasn't had any problem, and VMart was Buch's favorite from a year ago. 

Varitek is washed up as a starting catcher. As a reserve, the Red Sox should have got someone better. Varitek can't hit on a major league level anymore. He has a rubber arm and his joints are so broken down he couldn't block a beach ball.

Catching will have nothing to do with the pitching this year, which is already clearly going to be an improvement over 2010. If Salty joing Tek at being inept at throwing runners out, blocking balls behind the plate, and being at least a marginal bottom order MLB hitter, they will need to get a really good defensive catcher. At least if a defensive catcher misses the ball by a foot like Varitek does on hitting, the team will have a catcher that base runners must respect and someone who can block balls well, which is quite important.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Lowrie & Tek.: End of Discussion!:
    [QUOTE]Yes, but you can't Tek.  He isn't short on skill, he's short on youth.  We likely need another catcher.  You can play Tek everyday, but he'd be gone halfway thru May.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Joe, the O.P. suggested using Varitek in 3 out of 5 games , not everyday.

I am in favor of this , at least for the immediate future.

Perhaps by June or July , Salty will have reached some sort of comfort level and san start 50% of the games and by Sept. be playing the majority of games.

That's if he shows us something. If Salty doesn't start hitting this is a big void as I don't think his defense if that great.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Salty doesn't throw well or block well. He has yet to hit. That's an F, as that's all catcher do. They don't get credit for putting fingers down and placing a glove target. The pitcher throws what he wants, when he wants to, where he wants to.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lowrie's career v. RHP numbers, and last year, aren't good enough to merit changing from the role he's in... (softy)

Showing once again, his lack of baseball knowlege.

Jed had these numbers vs RHPs last year:

.250/.353/.470/.823

823 was 3rd in MLB behind only Tulo and HanRam.
    Yes, it was a small sample size (116 PAs), but softy brought it up, so...

That was just vs RHPs!

"No pop" Jed had 14 extra base hits in those 100 ABs vs righties.
    He had 9 in his 71 ABs vs LHPs.

Jed's career sample size is still below 600 PAs. He's still only 26 (for 2 more days); he has played injured. Yes, he has very limited range for a SS, but to knock his hitting after just 590 some odd PAs is foolish. The guy is showing some nice "pop" and gets on base very well.

This could turn out just like "Jake's 2009 season, where softy will keep rasing the bar and no matter what, he will find something to bash Jed about, just to avoid being proved wrong once again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

The v. RHP splits are career, including last year. They aren't impressive. Pretending that he's in a league with Hanley on any level shows how out to lunch you are. Easy to jump on the Lowrie bandwagon, now. Time has already revealed his weaknesses, which, unfortunately, are against RHP. The fact that he's been under the radar at the end of last year with the Red Sox out of the playoffs, and a couple of weeks this year, the long grind will find other teams getting on to Lowrie's gigantic swing against left handed pitching. Against RHP, he's a pretty easy out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]You waited to post this after Lowrie hit a homer over the monster. He hit it right handed over the short pop-up wall. In the last loss, he came up hitting left handed and hit a weak fly ball to CF when the game was in the balance. Scutaro has the two biggest RBI hits of the year, one that beat the Yankees. Against RHP, Scutaro has better career numbers dating back to last year and beyond. Lowrie's career v. RHP numbers, and last year, aren't good enough to merit changing from the role he's in. Scutaro is quicker on his feet and has a stronger arm. Lowrie has a slow release and very little range and doesn't move well on his feet. He should start at SS against most LH starting pitching and come off the bench and play backup 3B, 2B, 1B, with Youk DH'ing the lefty starters that Ortiz has terrible career numbers against. Unlike Scutaro, he is the better pinch hitter role option when he's not starting, which will be plenty enough vs. LH pitching.  To change Lowrie's role would require getting Scutaro regular workouts at 1st or dropping one of the OF RH bats from the active roster and calling up another corner IF'er. Unless Lowrie improves his hitting vs. RHP, the cost exceeds the benefit. The team needs and Lowrie's strengths and weaknesses are better served by starting at SS against most LH starting pitchers and having him come off the bench and backup start at the other IF positions.    The tiny sample on Lowrie is classic MLB fools gold excitement. He is under the radar on the hitter scouting books because he came in after the Red Sox were out of the playoffs at the end of last season. Before that, he hadn't been around since 2008 second half, other than a few false starts and DL stint.  As it is, Lowrie's career hitting v. RHP, including last year, is no more than marginal.  As Lowrie plays more his numbers will decline. Playing a couple of months in selective spots with rest after last year's team was out of the playoffs does not a career average make.  He is a career 2nd baseman, marginal career 3rd baseman because he doesn't slug well enough v. RHP.  Lowrie was given the UIF/platoon v. LHP role for a reason. He fits it, while Scutaro doesn't.  Salty will have zero bearing on how the team pitching does. Lester hasn't had any problem, and VMart was Buch's favorite from a year ago.  Varitek is washed up as a starting catcher. As a reserve, the Red Sox should have got someone better. Varitek can't hit on a major league level anymore. He has a rubber arm and his joints are so broken down he couldn't block a beach ball. Catching will have nothing to do with the pitching this year, which is already clearly going to be an improvement over 2010. If Salty joing Tek at being inept at throwing runners out, blocking balls behind the plate, and being at least a marginal bottom order MLB hitter, they will need to get a really good defensive catcher. At least if a defensive catcher misses the ball by a foot like Varitek does on hitting, the team will have a catcher that base runners must respect and someone who can block balls well, which is quite important.    
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

BaseballGM

No disrespect, because you have a lot of good stats to back up what you say, but.........  blah blah blah,  :)  No really!  Most people aren't buying it anymore.

Look!  I like Scutaro!  I'm always pulling for him when he's in.  BUT.....  It's clearly time to give Lowrie THE shot.  His stats over 52 games were very good, I don't care how you disect them.  I could go back & look, but over 162 games, if you extrapolate, they looked pretty damn good.

I love the grit Scutero showed last year, but it's time to move on.  WE NEED A BIG shot in the arm! 

As for Tek....... I don't know how many ways I can make it clear.  NO!  I don't think his body can hold up full time either!  BUT for now, we desperately need his steady hand behind the plate at least 3 out of 5 games.  Let's home to God their looking for someone, because Salty is NOT the answer.

Please!  Spare me the stats for just one minute & just think about it......

SERIOUSLY!  NO OFFENSE..... I like what you have to say, most often.........

BUT this team needs a change!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

p.s.  Who the heck is Softy?  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

oooops..... that's..... hope to God they're looking :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Why are posters continuing to discuss this when the title says "End of discussion!"?  Why is there even a thread? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The v. RHP splits are career, including last year.

The split I listed was last year only. It is a small sample sze, but you brought it up.

They aren't impressive.

823 is impressive for a SS. (.907 overall is kick Azz at any position)

Pretending that he's in a league with Hanley on any level shows how out to lunch you are.

Proving you are softy more and more. Making aZZZZumptions about what I wrote and misrepresenting again. All I sid was that the number you callen unimpressive was third behind Tulo and HanRam. I said behind, not as good as or in the same tier as them. Have a salami sandwich clown.

Easy to jump on the Lowrie bandwagon, now. Time has already revealed his weaknesses, which, unfortunately, are against RHP.

I have always been skeptical of Jed's bat, especially vs RHPs. I have said many times that his SS range is very bad. My "No Pop" thread last summer was directed to your alternate universe bandwagon of Sox bashing nonsense.

2010:  .823 vs RHPs in 116 PAs
    2011: 1.325  vs RHPs this year in 10 PAs (before today)

Small sample sizes, but big enough to show hope for a trend.
    He's only had 392 career PAs vs RHPs (.683 OPS)

The fact that he's been under the radar at the end of last year with the Red Sox out of the playoffs, and a couple of weeks this year, the long grind will find other teams getting on to Lowrie's gigantic swing against left handed pitching. Against RHP, he's a pretty easy out.

So are most SSs... it's the range that bothers me with him at SS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Career averages are career averages. Easy to take 2 months under the radar snipet when the Red Sox are out of the playoffs and pretend that this translates to a career proficiency. He does not, and will not.

It's not only his lack of range. He has a very slow release and does not have good velocity on his throws.

The Red Sox were smart enough to put him in the role he's in. Hopefully, they don't buy the fools gold and continue to start him at SS against most LH starters and use him for backup starts at 2B, 3B, 1B and pinch hitting. If the numbers were reversed to RHP, he might have a case. On this team with what it needs, he's in the role he should stay in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The v. RHP splits are career, including last year. The split I listed was last year only . It is a small sample sze, but you brought it up. They aren't impressive. 823 is impressive for a SS. (.907 overall is kick Azz at any position) Pretending that he's in a league with Hanley on any level shows how out to lunch you are. Proving you are softy more and more. Making aZZZZumptions about what I wrote and misrepresenting again. All I sid was that the number you callen unimpressive was third behind Tulo and HanRam. I said behind, not as good as or in the same tier as them. Have a salami sandwich clown. Easy to jump on the Lowrie bandwagon, now. Time has already revealed his weaknesses, which, unfortunately, are against RHP. I have always been skeptical of Jed's bat, especially vs RHPs. I have said many times that his SS range is very bad. My "No Pop" thread last summer was directed to your alternate universe bandwagon of Sox bashing nonsense. 2010:  .823 vs RHPs in 116 PAs 2011: 1.325  vs RHPs this year in 10 PAs (before today) Small sample sizes, but big enough to show hope for a trend. He's only had 392 career PAs vs RHPs (.683 OPS) The fact that he's been under the radar at the end of last year with the Red Sox out of the playoffs, and a couple of weeks this year, the long grind will find other teams getting on to Lowrie's gigantic swing against left handed pitching. Against RHP, he's a pretty easy out. So are most SSs... it's the range that bothers me with him at SS.
    Posted by moonslav59
    Do you think Jed could handle 3rd full time moon?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

The question is, what team would want his career v. RHP hitting numbers at 3rd?

Sections
Shortcuts