Lowrie and Reddick reunited

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Lowrie and Reddick reunited

And it feels so good.

Lowrie to Oakland.  Carter and Peacock to Houston

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Re: Lowrie and Reddick reunited

I still think Reddick may have had his career year.  But Lowrie may just have the kind of offensive season for Oakland that the Sox have not had at SS since Nomar left.  Obviously Billy Beane sees something in him, and he's no slouch when it comes to assembling talent.

Of course, that is IF he can stay on the field.  And we all know what a big IF that is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He probably plays 3B. Maybe it helps hom stsy healthy

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I will always remember Lowrie for his game-winning RBI in game 4 of the 2008 ALDS vs. the Angels.  :)

Another good move by Billy Beane. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Billy bean is making his own version of the Red Sox!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Reddick, Crisp. Moss and now Lowrie....Billy B likes ex Red Sox hitters.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Oakland A's: Where former Red Sox players flourish

New York Mets: Where former Red Sox players do NOT flourish    LOL

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I guess we know now why Beane turned down the Sox job - fewer chances to acquire Sox playerd

The A's could have an interesting batting order this yesr, as their top two hitters might play 1B (Barton) and catcher (Jaso)..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I agree with you notin.  Which is why I predict Oakland to have another great year and make the playoffs.  I think Cespedes will have an even better year in 2013.  Their rookie starting pitchers from last year will have more confidence and experience. 

I like the Angel's line-up but I do not like their starting pitching staff. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I agree with you notin.  Which is why I predict Oakland to have another great year and make the playoffs.  I think Cespedes will have an even better year in 2013.  Their rookie starting pitchers from last year will have more confidence and experience. 

I like the Angel's line-up but I do not like their starting pitching staff. 

I was surprised the A's have longer odds than the Sox.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

I still think Reddick may have had his career year.  But Lowrie may just have the kind of offensive season for Oakland that the Sox have not had at SS since Nomar left.  Obviously Billy Beane sees something in him, and he's no slouch when it comes to assembling talent.

Of course, that is IF he can stay on the field.  And we all know what a big IF that is.

Jed Lowrie, who gets hurt one to two times a year? He hasn't played more than 97 games in any of his five seasons. And there are no IFs regarding Lowrie staying on the field. He won't. Period.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Beane likes what the Sox and every other team likes about Lowrie. Hes a solid hitter who can play both middle IF positions. But also like every other team, they know Lowrie cant stary on the field...

As mentioned earlier. Im interested to see if Reddick can improve on last season (higher OBP & less K's) Or if he regresses...

Would Oakland be considered Fenway northwest now?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Perfect.  Can't wait for the reaction here when they both go deep in the same game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

ADG,

I figure he will have a full season without injury at least once in his career.  And this might be the year, who knows?  It is not like his injuries are related to some underlying physical issue.

Goodpickup by Beane, IMO, though the price seems steep to me.  Lowrie can play SS well enough, in case the Japanese signing turns sour.  And he can play 3B, as well as 2B.  Kind of like a Dave Stapelton, who ended up playing 1B, as well, in his career. 

Unbelievable -- this was pretty much a salary dump by Houston.  Lowrie is only earning 2.4 million and he was one of the highest paid players on the team?!?!  Houston should be the absolute doormat of the American League.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Jed had one injury while here. It was a left wrist sprain that was operated on then  turned into ulnar neuritis. He then had mono which is not an injury.

everytime he played in Boston he produced plain and simple. People in Boston hate the guy because of one injury and a disease (mono).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Jed had one injury while here. It was a left wrist sprain that was operated on then  turned into ulnar neuritis. He then had mono which is not an injury.

everytime he played in Boston he produced plain and simple. People in Boston hate the guy because of one injury and a disease (mono).

Hate is a very strong word.  People in Boston did not see him as teh long term solution to the SS position would be more accurate.

His career OPS+ in the majors is 97.  100 is the position average, so hes an average offensive SS.  On top of that , his range was poor.  Also, he had like an .800 AAA OPS which is pedestrian.

Pedestrian offense in AAA, pedestrian offense in Maj, below average defense.

Great utility man, below average starting infielder.

Would have loved to keep him as a utility man, but thought that we could find a better starting SS and better starting 3B.  And we did.  Scutaro had a high WAR in 2011 and Aviles did in 2012.  Win/Win.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

People fell in love w/ Lowrie because more at-bats for Lowrie meant less at-bats for Julio Lugo.  Because the incumbent starter was a bust, and Lowrie was the internal candidate to replace him, people fell in love (and therefore overrated) Lowrie.

Keep in mind: Im not saying he was terrible , just overrated.  He would be a below average starting SS (not a bad one).  But the comparisons to Pedroia (which were everywhere) were absolutely rediculous.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His career OPS+ in the majors is 97.  100 is the position average, so hes an average offensive SS.  On top of that , his range was poor.  Also, he had like an .800 AAA OPS which is pedestrian.

OPS+ is not a positionally adjusted stat. I seriously doubt the average hitting SS has an OPS+ of 100.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

OPS+ is not a positionally adjusted stat. I seriously doubt the average hitting SS has an OPS+ of 100.

Thanks for the info.

I'll gladly refine my earlier synopsis.  

Above average offense, below average defense.  Slightly below average overall (SS is one of the few positions where I emphasize D over O).

Now, Im saying that he's a slightly below average starting SS.  So , lets say #20.  Not saying he's a bum.  Just saying that I was never a big fan and always thought we could do better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Would have loved to keep him as a utility man, but thought that we could find a better starting SS and better starting 3B.  And we did.  Scutaro had a high WAR in 2011 and Aviles did in 2012.  Win/Win.

[/QUOTE]

WAR 2012:  Aviles 1.8 in 136 games,  Jed  2.5 in 97 games.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

WAR 2012:  Aviles 1.8 in 136 games,  Jed  2.5 in 97 games.

[/QUOTE]

Whatever.  97 games from Jed Lowrie was not going to turn the 2012 season around.  Im just saying that there is no part of me that regrets letting him go.

He was above average offensively, below average defensively.  Overall, very overrated by this board.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano9009. Show Modano9009's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I will always remember Lowrie for his game-winning RBI in game 4 of the 2008 ALDS vs. the Angels.  :)

Another good move by Billy Beane. 

I was at that game - such a fun game to be at.

It's not that I think he was too good to let go of - it's just that they let him go and got nothing in return.

Sections
Shortcuts