Lowrie and Reddick reunited

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Lowrie and Reddick reunited

In response to Modano9009's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I will always remember Lowrie for his game-winning RBI in game 4 of the 2008 ALDS vs. the Angels.  :)

Another good move by Billy Beane. 

I was at that game - such a fun game to be at.

It's not that I think he was too good to let go of - it's just that they let him go and got nothing in return.

Not true.  We received a pitcher, who even after a horrid season, was the centerpiece of a trade for Hanrahan.

Also, its not fair to use the benefit of hindsight.  Melancon was team controlled for a while and coming off a year where he held his own as a closer.  It wasnt unreasonable to think that he could be a low cost bullpen contributor for a couple of years.  Something we appeared to need after Pap's departure.

Also: Pitt is expecting a good year from him, so its not like he doesnt have any "stuff"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Beane doesn't make many bad trades, but this looks like an overpay to me.  Lowrie decent enough, but that's a lot of years to give up between Cater and Peacock.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I will always remember Lowrie for his game-winning RBI in game 4 of the 2008 ALDS vs. the Angels.  :)

It's not that I think he was too good to let go of - it's just that they let him go and got nothing in return.

Lucky you to be at that game. 

The Red Sox eliminated a very good Angels team that year.  That Angels team won over 100 games during the regular season. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano9009. Show Modano9009's posts

Lucky you to be at that game. 

The Red Sox eliminated a very good Angels team that year.  That Angels team won over 100 games during the regular season. 

I drove up from Canada with tickets for games 3 and 4. Game 3 was a tough one - I wanted them to win, but I also wanted there to be a game 4. So let's just say when they lost game 3 I wasn't too broken up about it. But by game 4 it was "we have to win this one" mode. If I recall, I think the Sox blew a late fairly late in the game. I remember the entire park seemed to have the same feeling - the life was sucked out of everyone. Then that nervous silence as the game went on. Then the place went insane when Lowie drove in Bay to win it. Strangers turning around to hug and high five me, such an awesome experience.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Pedestrian offense in AAA, pedestrian offense in Maj, below average defense.

Great utility man, below average starting infielder.

Would have loved to keep him as a utility man, but thought that we could find a better starting SS and better starting 3B.  And we did.  Scutaro had a high WAR in 2011 and Aviles did in 2012.  Win/Win.

WAR 2012:  Aviles 1.8 in 136 games,  Jed  2.5 in 97 games.

[/QUOTE]

Whatever.  97 games from Jed Lowrie was not going to turn the 2012 season around.  Im just saying that there is no part of me that regrets letting him go.

He was above average offensively, below average defensively.  Overall, very overrated by this board.

[/QUOTE]

So you were wrong about OPS+ and  higher WAR than Aviles, what about the rest?

"below average defensively"

You posted his career OPS+, so what is his career UZR at SS?  1.7, which is slightly above average defensively.

You posted that his 800 OPS in AAA is pedestrian.  For a SS?  His minors OPS was .829, for comparison Mike Napoli .848.

"below average starting infielder"

For 2012, only between 5 to 10 SS had a better WAR / game.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to parhunter55's comment:

I still think Reddick may have had his career year.  But Lowrie may just have the kind of offensive season for Oakland that the Sox have not had at SS since Nomar left.  Obviously Billy Beane sees something in him, and he's no slouch when it comes to assembling talent.

Of course, that is IF he can stay on the field.  And we all know what a big IF that is.

Jed Lowrie, who gets hurt one to two times a year? He hasn't played more than 97 games in any of his five seasons. And there are no IFs regarding Lowrie staying on the field. He won't. Period.

Unfortunaetly though, the Red sox lead the league in players not being able to stay on the field, so it probably wouldn't have hurt to keep him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Jed Lowrie, who gets hurt one to two times a year? He hasn't played more than 97 games in any of his five seasons. And there are no IFs regarding Lowrie staying on the field. He won't. Period.

Lowrie is still more durable than Napoli

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

apples to oranges. Catching is arguably the most physically demanding position in BB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

A lot of Napoli's benvh time was relatefbto Scioscia's preference for the better defender behind the plate in Jeff Mathis.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

All of the former Red Sox players (Crisp, Moss, Reddick, etc.) are having great years with Oakland.

Speaking of Oakland, I pick them to win the AL West again in 2013.