Lowrie's throw to the plate

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Lowrie's throw to the plate

Lowrie doesn't ever really seem comfortable for one reason or another.  His throw to the plate last night was just another example but even so, the one hop could have easily been handled by Tek who dropped the ball.  I'm not sure the runner would have been out but it's little things like this we need to work on.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Lowrie's throw to the plate

the things i noticed about both throws were that they were really weak...i think he was aiming too hard - you got to get the ball there asap - the catcher will do the rest...those plays looked like junior high baseball

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

the throw hit the runner , the only other way to get the ball to tek would have been to throw to the foul side of the runner.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Lowrie's throw to the plate:
    the throw hit the runner , the only other way to get the ball to tek would have been to throw to the foul side of the runner.
    Posted by fourrings

The throw didn't appear to hit the runner from what I was watching Fourrings.  It was just a surprise to Tek and he had a hard time holding onto it.  It appeared to be right in his glove on one hop.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

the things i noticed about both throws were that they were really weak...i think he was aiming too hard - you got to get the ball there asap - the catcher will do the rest...those plays looked like junior high baseball
    Posted by georom4

I agree georom, last season I really felt Jed could get over his illnesses and become an important part of the team but I have my doubts now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pennasoxfan67. Show pennasoxfan67's posts

In Response to Lowrie's throw to the plate:
    Lowrie doesn't ever really seem comfortable for one reason or another.  His throw to the plate last night was just another example but even so, the one hop could have easily been handled by Tek who dropped the ball.  I'm not sure the runner would have been out but it's little things like this we need to work on.
    Posted by craze4sox

Jed lowrie DOES NOT have major league quality fielding skills, and last nights 3 errors is a case in point.  "3" Errors you say?  Yep...the first was the dropped bunt that should have been handled.  The second was the bounced throw to Tek...count 2 unearned runs on Lowrie in the 1st inning.  The third error was hitting the runner in the back at home.  I mean, c'mon...all he had to do was move to the side and make that throw.  Big whoop...he started a triple play on a ball delivered right into his glove.  basically, Jed is a below average fielding streak hitter who can't stay healthy.  Trade him if you can Theo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Lowrie's throw to the plate : Jed lowrie DOES NOT have major league quality fielding skills, and last nights 3 errors is a case in point.  "3" Errors you say?  Yep...the first was the dropped bunt that should have been handled.  The second was the bounced throw to Tek...count 2 unearned runs on Lowrie in the 1st inning.  The third error was hitting the runner in the back at home.  I mean, c'mon...all he had to do was move to the side and make that throw.  Big whoop...he started a triple play on a ball delivered right into his glove.  basically, Jed is a below average fielding streak hitter who can't stay healthy.  Trade him if you can Theo.
    Posted by pennasoxfan67

I think that will happen pennasox, I see Iglesias and Aviles at SS next season with Lowrie being packaged somewhere.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Yeah, let's place the blame on Lowrie. He wouldn't have even been in the line-up at 3b if Youk hadn't wimped out again.
    We had three stinking hits, and yes, the defense sucked last night, but 3 hits aint gettin it done!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

For the record there were TWO PLAYS at the plate that Lowrie botched...

The first happened in thre 2nd inning and was a needless one hop throw to Varitek he could not handle with the runner bearing down on him.

The second happened in the 8th inning and was a throw that did hit the runner and bounce away.  This one occurred during a rundown play where Aviles made a bad choice of throwing to 3rd instead of the plate to force the runner back toward 3rd base since he was picked off.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

For the record there were TWO PLAYS at the plate that Lowrie botched... The first happened in thre 2nd inning and was a needless one hop throw to Varitek he could not handle with the runner bearing down on him. The second happened in the 8th inning and was a throw that did hit the runner and bounce away.  This one occurred during a rundown play where Aviles made a bad choice of throwing to 3rd instead of the plate to force the runner back toward 3rd base since he was picked off.
    Posted by Soxdog67

Gotcha soxdog, I missed the one in the 8th thanks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Posted by georom4

Exactly. It's the equivalent of a pro golfer missing a two foot putt--understandable but not acceptable for a pro.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

In Response to Lowrie's throw to the plate:
    Posted by craze4sox

Little things like that that are due to the game itself. It is called baseball. Players aren't always perfect. Your OP is reflective of what 99% of RSN felt at the moment but YOU were compelled to start a thread about it. Preaching to the choir?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Lowrie's throw to the plate : Little things like that that are due to the game itself. It is called baseball. Players aren't always perfect. Your OP is reflective of what 99% of RSN felt at the moment but YOU were compelled to start a thread about it. Preaching to the choir?
    Posted by PawsoxPhil

Pike - thanks again for trying to shut down a discussion because it makes you uncomfortable...seriously if you can't discuss this without attacking a poster then what is the point of even being on this site????  Jed screwed up TWO throws to the plate that might have cost us the game....they were carbon copies of one another - not random plays...I like Jed but he seemed awfully tentative during those big moments last nite...for lack of a better word I would say he choked big time...but I know you won't like me saying that...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Sometimes I wonder if people watch the games or post opinions based on news reports. In the rundown play...Aviles made a horrible throw to 3rd which lowrie had to lunge for which pulled him into foul territory...he had no time to set himself or step to the side...to have any chance at the guy at the plate he ahd to throw right from where he was...his throw was right at Tek, but hit the runner in the back..and bounced away.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

In Response to Re: Lowrie's throw to the plate : Pike - thanks again for trying to shut down a discussion because it makes you uncomfortable...seriously if you can't discuss this without attacking a poster then what is the point of even being on this site????  Jed screwed up TWO throws to the plate that might have cost us the game....they were carbon copies of one another - not random plays...I like Jed but he seemed awfully tentative during those big moments last nite...for lack of a better word I would say he choked big time...but I know you won't like me saying that...
    Posted by georom4

I watched the play and then the replay. I thought that Tek could have easily caught that throw. Were you watching or are you just doing Lowrie bashing since those are this morning's talking points by the troll delegation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Sometimes I wonder if people watch the games or post opinions based on news reports. In the rundown play...Aviles made a horrible throw to 3rd which lowrie had to lunge for which pulled him into foul territory...he had no time to set himself or step to the side...to have any chance at the guy at the plate he ahd to throw right from where he was...his throw was right at Tek, but hit the runner in the back..and bounced away.
    Posted by tomnev

maybe but what was his excuse the first time??? two times in a game is lil league stuff - sorry and I like Jed but he choked big time yesterday - and he knew it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Lowrie's throw to the plate : I watched the play and then the replay. I thought that Tek could have easily caught that throw. Were you watching or are you just doing Lowrie bashing since those are this morning's talking points by the troll delegation.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil

he bounced a throw from home plate side of third base and you're saying it wasnt an error????  what planet do you inhabit??? Tek is setting up to apply the tag and he should expect to catch it on a bounce????? go back to bed please

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Posted by tomnev

Agree..except I didnt see it hit the runner either. I thought Alives was the key to that play though, not Lowrie...Baseball 101..run towards the runner and throw the ball to the next base, which shouldve been home..always want the runner to run back than to the next bag, which was home in this case. Aviles didnt take but 2 or 3 steps, threw a ball to thrid base that Lowrie had to reach for then hurry a throw to home..That one is on Alives IMHO..As far as the talk about Youk not being in the line up..I think Youks' injuries this year might be an early indicator of his age and hard play starting to take a bit of a toll on his body..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

he was aiming too hard
    Posted by georom4

I do that when I pee sometimes and it always ends up the floor.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Varitek is protecting the plate and also preparing for a hard collision.  Hard to concentrate on a bounce ball too.

Both throws to the plate were lousy.  As was the bad tag at third.  Lowrie had a horrible night.

Would Youk have made those plays?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Remy and Orsillo thought that the throw could have been caught by Tek. I know that it is "mob behavior" here to blame it entirely on Lowrie but why not blame it on BOTH players? Is that too complicated. A double target for those with a chronic desire to scapegoat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Definitely a bad game for Lowrie.  Errant throw to Tek was huge.  Not handling the bunt doesn't bother me because I think the runner beats the throw anyway.  The last throw home into the runner's back was a mistake, but not egregious.  Yes, he needed to move to get a clear throw to Tek, but that might have made the throw too late.  Pedroia should have run at the Rays runner heading home and thrown ahead of him instead of behind. 

That said, what really killed us was the lack of hitting.  Had Ellsbury not hit that semi-miraculous dinger in game one, the Sox would have lost both ends of the doubleheader.  Ortiz was out. Youk only played one game.  Scutaro was out.  And Pedroia and Gonzalez were stone cold at the plate--but both of them looked fine in comparison to Crawford, who in game two struck out twice on a total of six pitches.  The mind boggles. 

So, from that perspective, the misplays in the 8th (?) inning of game two served a purpose.  No point in sending out Bard or Papelbon to rescue an unrescuable game. 

To repeat.  The Sox stole a split yesterday thanks to Lester's gutsy pitching (command a problem but still only gave up 1 in 7 innings) and Ellsbury's huge, huge dinger. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Remy and Orsillo thought that the throw could have been caught by Tek. I know that it is "mob behavior" here to blame it entirely on Lowrie but why not blame it on BOTH players? Is that too complicated. A double target for those with a chronic desire to scapegoat.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil

You're right, but my point is that varitek is waiting to take a pounding while blocking the plate.  He may have been able to catch it and make the play, but he's got a lot to concentrate on.  A strong throw would've been easier.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Definitely a bad game for Lowrie.  Errant throw to Tek was huge.  Not handling the bunt doesn't bother me because I think the runner beats the throw anyway.  The last throw home into the runner's back was a mistake, but not egregious.  Yes, he needed to move to get a clear throw to Tek, but that might have made the throw too late.  Pedroia should have run at the Rays runner heading home and thrown ahead of him instead of behind.  That said, what really killed us was the lack of hitting.  Had Ellsbury not hit that semi-miraculous dinger in game one, the Sox would have lost both ends of the doubleheader.  Ortiz was out. Youk only played one game.  Scutaro was out.  And Pedroia and Gonzalez were stone cold at the plate--but both of them looked fine in comparison to Crawford, who in game two struck out twice on a total of six pitches.  The mind boggles.  So, from that perspective, the misplays in the 8th (?) inning of game two served a purpose.  No point in sending out Bard or Papelbon to rescue an unrescuable game.  To repeat.  The Sox stole a split yesterday thanks to Lester's gutsy pitching (command a problem but still only gave up 1 in 7 innings) and Ellsbury's huge, huge dinger. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

max, I agree with most of what you say here, except that it was Aviles who made the bad judgement of throwing to 3rd instead of either the plate or going right at the runner...in either case the wrong play was to throw to 3rd base...you force the player back to the bag not the plate!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Lowrie's throw to the plate : max, I agree with most of what you say here, except that it was Aviles who made the bad judgement of throwing to 3rd instead of either the plate or going right at the runner...in either case the wrong play was to throw to 3rd base...you force the player back to the bag not the plate!!
    Posted by Soxdog67

My mistake.  I just assumed it was Pedey even though Pedey is one of those guys who almost always makes the right move. 

Sections
Shortcuts