Loyal Sox fan from NJ-my take on the end of the season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from danpatsoxnj. Show danpatsoxnj's posts

Loyal Sox fan from NJ-my take on the end of the season

Dan here...Here is my take on our current team – The 2011 Boston Red Sox: The Players – We have a very talented team. No doubt about it. Just look at their record after the 2-10 start (and before Sept.) What we didn’t have was a sense of unity partly because the team was allowed to do anything they wanted, like a frat house. (Sucks that baseball contracts, unlike in football, are guaranteed.) In the clubhouse, although they all knew what their job is...it was kind of a “while the cat’s away (Henry watching a soccer match or a car race) – the mice (players) will play”. Even though the players know that ownership had absolutely no problem spending gobs of money, I think they felt deep down ownership are not really “fans” themselves. At the end of the day, it really comes down to how “the players” perform (it’s ownerships job to bring in the right talent, management’s job to position the players for success, but the players have to perform)... My elites(Dirt Dogs):*Pedey-Fantastic player. Epitomizes a “dirt dog”. The heart and soul of our team. Nuff said.*Jacoby – Cut me a break. He’s an awesome player. So what if he is an introvert. 35% of the population is. This year proved “last year” he was really ‘hurting’.) Back up the truck to his evil agent$$$$’s and sign him up long-term.*Aceves – his career record is amazing. That he was called on in any situation, and not only was he ready – but performed beyond well – he’s pretty amazing. Hope he can be a starter.*Paplebon-regardless of the last inning of the last game – he gave it his all and stayed in shape. (Part of the problem is we were spoiled with him as it seemed for the 1st 4 years or so he was “Superman” in the Mariano sense. Then when we saw a few chinks in his armor it was like “Ahhh Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!” And it didn’t help his waxing poetic, ad nausea about the great Yankee closer. Sign him to a 4 year deal. (Just hope he can rely more on some junk pitches, not always just the fast ball.)*Gonzalez-regardless of the comments that came out from him about a grueling season or how the outcome was ‘divine intervention’ and all – he had an MVP type season. (His problem was a. never should have been in the home run contest because it messes up 75% of slugger’s swings post-all star brake AND b. his shoulder was ailing some, as witnessed by his morphing into a line drive singles/doubles hitter near the tail end. Funny how at one point it looked like he would end up with something like 145 rbis didn’t it? Well, he’ll be just fine and I predict his numbers next year will be EVEN BETTER.)*Ortiz-bottom line is he hit .309 with 29 dingers, 96 ribbies in something like 490 ab’s...His numbers would have been better if we didn’t have those stupid National League games (which messed up his timing as he got very few at bats.) The 3 weeks following were evidence of that. The short suspension he had cost him some ab’s too. Could he have been more vocal with his teammates (leadership)? Sure. Still, his numbers prove he was the best dh in the American League. And let’s not forget (all of Beantown/Red Sox nation) – the man is still a legend in the Larry Bird/Bobby Orr sense. Mr.Clutch. Wowwwwwwwww how some have such short memories. BTW, bring him back – 2 years – let him finish his career here.*Salty-ok, he’s not “great” or even “really good” – but he can get better and did give it his all. (remember how Dewey, in his first 4-5 years was just ‘average’ at the plate – and then turned himself into a fine/clutch hitter?)-I know Salty petered out at the end, but I think he will be better (and can platoon w/Lavarnway.) He gave it his all.*Scutaro-we wish he was a better fielder, but he did produce with the bat – heck, his ‘best month’ was Sept., unlike most! I still long for that franchise shortstop – something that alluded Epstein his whole career...fair to say Epstein was Ahab and a talented shortstop his very own elusive white whale.*Youk-I KNOW his numbers were down, I KNOW he struck out a lot, I KNOW he had a hard time getting on the field and I KNOW he has a short fuse with everyone/especially himself...but, he GIVES A CRAP and lays it all out there. For a 4-5 year stretch, his numbers kept getting better and better every year. He just beats the crap out of his body and last year/this year it really caught up to him. If fully healthy, he’s a really good player. My hope is we don’t trade him and he finds the fountain of youth.*Bard-yes he single handedly lost us 4-5 games late in the season, but he has star potential.  Confidence breeds confidence. Success breed success. He’ll pick it up. The rest: Enough has been already been ‘written/talked about with our Jekyll and Hyde bullpen. It’s our starting rotation I’m worried about. (We know the sayings: w/Football, defense wins championships…and in baseball great pitching trumps everything.)-Lackey-no matter what, he should never pitch for us again- even if our billionaire owner pays him to just ‘stay home’…Not only did he have the worst season EVER for a Red Sox starting pitcher, but it ranked up there in the top 3 worst seasons EVER for ANY starting pitcher with x amount of innings pitched. His attitude and demeanor suck. He is surly even with some of his teammates. He just sucks, period. If we are able to trade him for a single A ball player or someone else’s mascot – do it.-Clay-pick a better peer group to hang with will ya.-Beckett-a great pitcher, just seems as though he acts as though his “______ doesn’t stink.” He’s one of those guys that with a little more effort could go from really, really good to GREAT. He is certainly one that, it appears, took advantage of the “hey, there’s no sheriff in town” mentality. I think we will not trade him and he comes back with a chip on his shoulder (“I’ll show everyone”) and pitches really well-kind of like he did this year until Sept. Maybe a more hard-nosed manager type will help bring that to fruition.Crawford-He is under the microscope simply because of his PAYCHECK. His numbers didn’t add up to the checks he cashed. BUT he is very talented and is capable of turning into the player we hoped. Here’s hoping he can man up – fix his head trash – and ignore Henry’s comments out in the public about not wanting to sign him originally. If anyone has something to prove next season, it’s him. Hopefully that will be motivation enough to have a great year. (Funny how we ALL envisioned these stats this season: Jacoby 60 stolen bases, Crawford 50 stolen bases.)-The Bullpen(rest of)-almost always a work in progress from year to year. -Wakefield and Varitek-thanks (seriously) for some great memories. Time to move on.-Drew-I don’t hate “Mr. Stoicism”, but I never really ever like the guy – regardless of a certain particular grand slam. Wayyyy overpaid, more off the field than on. Teammates say he was a good guy, I just was never, ever crazy about his play or him as a person.-Dice K-and his mysterious pitch when he came to Boston, another player (like Drew) I will soon forget. Watching him pitch was torture. Every at bat seemed like 12 pitches. He could turn an 0-2 count into a 15 pitch marathon. Nibble. Nibble. Nibble. Deep down it’s funny how he could go from a 2-hitter, to getting shellacked for 2 games, back to a 2-hitter. He cost our bullpen over the years more than anyone as he barely could go 5 innings. Amazing how he almost always gave runs in the first inning, then throw no hit ball innings 2-4, then get chased in the 5th…I wish he made even a small attempt at learning our language. Good bye. ***What really jettisoned the team:1.Clay going down.2.Beckett getting hurt-missing those starts.3.Ortiz getting like only 8 at bats during that 10 game swing through the National League –killing his timing for a few weeks after(and the home run derby messing up his power stroke for an additional 3 weeks.)4.Gonzalez – losing his pop after the homerun derby…his ailing shoulder.5.Sept…it was like almost the entire team turned into the Bad News Bears ( a win here, a win there – we make the playoffs, no monumental/legendary collapse…and all of the crap coming out about this and that would have been kept under raps. And let’s face it, EVERY CLUB HOUSE has crap going on and skeletons in the closet just like the Pats’ spygate was a bunch of bs because all football teams did the same.)…Just amazing though how during September everything just kept snowballing. Like every player kept saying “it can’t continue like this, can it?” each game. But it did. Management- Terry Francona will go down as if not our greatest manager, certainly 1b. His win loss record, his ability to work with/motivate so many “odd” personalities. He was a player’s manager no doubt…and at the end, that hurt him - as some took advantage. Yeah he (as has been said) had a lot going on this season with his personal life (wife/health) – but he was still consumed with managing and managing well. It was BS the way he was treated at the end, as a scapegoat figure. The only complaint I ever really had with Terry was his handling of the pitchers from time to time. BUT I always felt good as a fan -- with him in the dugout. He is beyond likeable, a real mench. And will be missed, you’ll see.  Ownership/GM/Think Tank – All told, we are lucky we have an owner/franchise willing to spend. And renovate the jewel that is Fenway. We all just wish Henry can “seem” to enjoy the sport even a little and not treat it like a stock investment. Epstein helped bring in 2 CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!!!!! He made some brilliant moves (some bargains, some with the pots of gold he played with) AND some head scratchers, but still got errrrrrrr done for the most part like no other had in the past 80 years and change. We were always competitive. Our Won/Loss record the past 10 years is phenomenal. All the playoff appearances. Yep, it was time move on Theo. I’ll never look down on him. AGAIN, IT’S THE PALYERS ON THE FIELD PLAYING THE GAME that make you look like a genius or a dud. (The one guy I don’t really like because he reminds me of the gestapo or a mobster type is Luchinno. Everything I’ve ever read or heard about him – makes me feel  a. Yes, he is partly responsible for building winners but b. He still seems like he alienates people. And Werner, seems like a happy go lucky guy you never hear much from.  The Fans - We are lucky we have such a storied franchise and an owner willing to spend the dough to field a competitive team, while making some money too – heck, we ALL want to make money and protect our investments…it’s just that a. We wish the owner seemed more passionate about one of his “toys” (The Red Sox) the same way  Bob Kraft does…AND b. we always wish our players not only perform well, but also are more likeable than not…AND  c. we wish that there is total harmony all of the time.  The Media-OVERALL – they suck!!!!!! Man alive, pre-internet (even in the golden age of print) – you didn’t hear about THIS MUCH MELODRAMA. It was more hidden. What to believe. What not to believe. ***All good things come to an end…..BUT HEY…..Good things can start up again!!!!! (Let’s see what Red Sox Redux looks like in 2012, whatcha ya say!!!!)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Loyal Sox fan from NJ-my take on the end of the season

Did you write all this??? I'm also in Jersey BTW...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from danpatsoxnj. Show danpatsoxnj's posts

In Response to Re: Loyal Sox fan from NJ-my take on the end of the season:
    Posted by seannybboi

Hi Bro...yes I did. Felt like getting my thoughts down...We are all hardcore, passionate Boston fans in my family. It started as an email to my brothers and a few friends...then I figured I'd share it with me fellow Red Sox Nation-ites...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Is this 750 page tome going to be published and placed in the Library of Congress?

I tried, I really did to read it, but geez this forum may not be the place for something that long......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChifferBrane. Show ChifferBrane's posts

Is this 750 page tome going to be published and placed in the Library of Congress? I tried, I really did to read it, but geez this forum may not be the place for something that long......
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

Even Brittany Spears naked get's old after 10 minutes or so...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Cut Dan some slack y'all.  Yes, my eyes went cross perusing this OP.  But I understand his need to call it all like it is in these dark times.  And, Dan, I applaud your spirit and agree with the tenor of your novella.  LETS GO RED SOX!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

AS DAD WOULD SAY ....... "SON, GET TO THE POINT, SOOONER RATHER THAN LATER" !!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from danpatsoxnj. Show danpatsoxnj's posts

Cut Dan some slack y'all.  Yes, my eyes went cross perusing this OP.  But I understand his need to call it all like it is in these dark times.  And, Dan, I applaud your spirit and agree with the tenor of your novella.  LETS GO RED SOX!
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Thanks brother. Wasn't trying to make anyone "work hard", just wanted to share (all) of my thoughts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Wakefield 200 wins was the #1 team goal, and it showed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

interesting read, well done....i don't agree with all of it but who cares........thanks for sharing your thoughts.  it's tough living closer to NYC than Boston!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I read it. I don't agree with some of it, but you clearly know alot about the Sox, and you can't ignore the enthusiasm. Well done. We need more enthusiastic Sox fans.

Maybe more posters would read your thoughts in smaller doses. You should give it a try. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Re: Loyal Sox fan from NJ-my take on the end of the season : Even Brittany Spears naked get's old after 10 minutes or so...
    Posted by ChifferBrane

wow!! If you get bored with Brittany naked after 10 min ,I'll take her naked the rest of the day.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

A very well written post but a little wordy. You obviously put a great deal of thought in your analysis of the players. Nice job.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

A very well written post but a little wordy. You obviously put a great deal of thought in your analysis of the players. Nice job.
    Posted by jrh1194

Definitely agree with you.  A very nice post.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Yes it was long, but I read the whole thing, and it was well done, and IMO on the mark. In fact, I got the impression you tried to keep it as short as you could, knowing it was really long, and you may have stifled yourself a little as a result!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonrcal. Show bostonrcal's posts

Great post...it was long, but this season is kind of hard to explain in a brief post.I'm also in NJ, originally from Ct.  We have a huge family in NJ, NY, MA,& CT, and everyone except one brother-in-law is a Sox fan. (He likes the METS!)  We all go to Fenway every year but many of us feel really let down...not because they lost, but because of the whole soap opera.  I really hope they can get it all back together...there is nothing better than RED SOX baseball!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from danpatsoxnj. Show danpatsoxnj's posts

Great post...it was long, but this season is kind of hard to explain in a brief post.I'm also in NJ, originally from Ct.  We have a huge family in NJ, NY, MA,& CT, and everyone except one brother-in-law is a Sox fan. (He likes the METS!)  We all go to Fenway every year but many of us feel really let down...not because they lost, but because of the whole soap opera.  I really hope they can get it all back together...there is nothing better than RED SOX baseball!
    Posted by bostonrcal

I agree. The Red Sox, as well as the Pats, Celts and B's have always been special. Matter of fact, the Boston sports teams mean more to me than just my favorite teams. Through them I also "think of" my awesome Grandpa(God rest his soul), as well as my Boston roots, all of my relatives in New England and all of the special 'history' that took place in New England over the centuries.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

knucleheadstephens, unless something is written at a second grade level, you won't be able to understand it.
    Posted by 2004Idiots

I see I have a stalker in my midst, and an infantile name caller at that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

Posted by seannybboi

Jersey boy here as well. We get the added bonus of hating the phillies 2 because they are also so close....at least I do. Sox, Giants, Devils for life

Sections
Shortcuts