Loyalty rewarded!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Loyalty rewarded!

Next time I hear the name Jacoby Ellsbury name being announced at Fenway I would love to hear a chorus of boos to come from the fans of the Boston Red Sox! When a guy leaves a team after asspousing his desire to stay with the team all season long and then when it comes time to sign a contract changes his mind to go play for the enemy, he doesn't deserve any kind of cheering from the faithful fans of Boston, conversely when Mike Napoli goes to take the field in his first AB there should be a standing ovation afforded him for his loyalty to the team!!! He took a 10 million dollar loss of pay to stay and play before what is commonly known as the greatest fan base in all of baseball.... Good for you Mike Napoli  I applaud your honesty in staying with your obligations to your teammates and the fans of Boston.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Loyalty rewarded!

I agree Sportsbozo, it's refreshing, particularly coming on the heels of Lester's comments about how he didn't mind leaving money on the table to sign his first extension with Boston and would do so again to stay here...a reminder that, although it will always be about maximizing $$$ for some guys, it doesn't have to be that way.

I don't hate Ellsbury for putting the money first...I don't get the sense he ever embraced Boston the way Lester and Napoli seem to have, that he would turn down larger offers to stay here...but he is with the enemy now, and I expect he'll be greeted as such.Innocent

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Next time I hear the name Jacoby Ellsbury name being announced at Fenway I would love to hear a chorus of boos to come from the fans of the Boston Red Sox! When a guy leaves a team after asspousing his desire to stay with the team all season long and then when it comes time to sign a contract changes his mind to go play for the enemy, he doesn't deserve any kind of cheering from the faithful fans of Boston, conversely when Mike Napoli goes to take the field in his first AB there should be a standing ovation afforded him for his loyalty to the team!!! He took a 10 million dollar loss of pay to stay and play before what is commonly known as the greatest fan base in all of baseball.... Good for you Mike Napoli  I applaud your honesty in staying with your obligations to your teammates and the fans of Boston.

[/QUOTE]

I think it was Peter Abraham who wrote that Ells would sign with the Taliban if offered more.Napoli is a  class act. He actually became a loyal guy and was well rewarded.
      Let's face it,Drew owes us nothing and he, too, is a Boras guy. Choo, who is available also is another Boras guy. I think BC has had enough of Boras. I do hope we keep Drew and at a 5 year deal if necessary.Yankees actually gave Kuroda 16 mil. Keep on spending boys, 'cause we now are the big dog.

We must remember that nothing has done anything to take away that fabulous world series!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I agree Sportsbozo, it's refreshing, particularly coming on the heels of Lester's comments about how he didn't mind leaving money on the table to sign his first extension with Boston and would do so again to stay here...a reminder that, although it will always be about maximizing $$$ for some guys, it doesn't have to be that way.

I don't hate Ellsbury for putting the money first...I don't get the sense he ever embraced Boston the way Lester and Napoli seem to have, that he would turn down larger offers to stay here...but he is with the enemy now, and I expect he'll be greeted as such.Innocent

Agree, he always seemed a little stiff and a bit of a loner. A perfect fit for the yankees. He never seemed to be much of a clubhouse guy. I don't think he liked the way he was criticised as milking his rib injury by a lot of people, or liked the way he was handled by the medical staff. The sox didn't seem to make much of an effort to retain him. Maybe they knew he wasn't very happy here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to MikeNagy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree, he always seemed a little stiff and a bit of a loner. A perfect fit for the yankees. He never seemed to be much of a clubhouse guy. I don't think he liked the way he was criticised as milking his rib injury by a lot of people, or liked the way he was handled by the medical staff. The sox didn't seem to make much of an effort to retain him. Maybe they knew he wasn't very happy here.

[/QUOTE]

i dont agree with any of that. The price simply went past what the sox were willing to pay. in both years and money. I doubt either side held any malice towards the other during his time here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Loyalty goes both ways. The team will cut, trade or DFA a player at the drop of a hat.  Some of you are being very naive. Anyone who would leave 53 million dollars on the table to show loyalty to an organization should have his head examined. How many times do you have to hear that baseball is a business before it sinks in?  It is only the fans who get emotionally involved.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Were Mike Napoli, Shane Victorino, Ryan Dempster, Stephen Drew, Jonny Gomes, David Ross and Koji Uehara disloyal to their former teams last offseason when the free agents signed with the Red Sox?

The 2013 World Series champions relied heavily on that disloyalty.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to boboinfla's comment:

I think it was Peter Abraham who wrote that Ells would sign with the Taliban if offered more.Napoli is a  class act. He actually became a loyal guy and was well rewarded.
      Let's face it,Drew owes us nothing and he, too, is a Boras guy. Choo, who is available also is another Boras guy. I think BC has had enough of Boras. I do hope we keep Drew and at a 5 year deal if necessary.Yankees actually gave Kuroda 16 mil. Keep on spending boys, 'cause we now are the big dog.

We must remember that nothing has done anything to take away that fabulous world series!

Different morals for different people.  There are people like Lowell, Pede, Papi and Lester, then ones who will jump at silly money.  Ells won't be replaced by the kid for awile so that will certainly hurt unless we upgrade but don't blame him.  It's the bar originally set by the Yankees that has caused salaries to be completely out of control these days.

Jacoby will be missed but like I said before that type of long term contract for a guy who may be (one) significant leg or ankle injury away from ending his career was a huge risk.  Jacoby's legs dictate his numbers not natural talent.

I think Schill said it best when agreeing to come to Boston. 

#1 I will never play for the Yankees

#2 Why do I need money?  I already have plenty but would like another chamionshop

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i dont agree with any of that. The price simply went past what the sox were willing to pay. in both years and money. I doubt either side held any malice towards the other during his time here.

[/QUOTE]

Agree.

And the OP's premise is wrong. Ellsbury never said he wants to stay here. All that he ever said was that he liked playing in Boston, which I'm sure he did. But that's different than from saying he wants to stay here.

Ellsbury probably loves baseball and enjoyed Boston, but he also is one of many players when push comes to shove, is going to go after every last penny. And that's fine. I'm not going to hate a guy for that. If the Sox don't want to pay what he's asking, he's free to go anywhere. Yes, the Yankees are a bigger rival, but in the scheme of things, every other team is also the enemy. So this business that a Red Sox player can't sign with the Yankees is ridiculous. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Different morals for different people.  There are people like Lowell, Pede, Papi and Lester, then ones who will jump at silly money.  Ells won't be replaced by the kid for awile so that will certainly hurt unless we upgrade but don't blame him.  It's the bar originally set by the Yankees that has caused salaries to be completely out of control these days.

Jacoby will be missed but like I said before that type of long term contract for a guy who is a significant leg or ankle injury away from ending his career was a huge risk.  Jacoby's legs dictate his numbers not natural talent.

#2 Why do I need money?  I already have plenty but just want another chamionshop

[/QUOTE]

I think that answer would be different today.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Different morals for different people.  There are people like Lowell, Pede, Papi and Lester, then ones who will jump at silly money.  Ells won't be replaced by the kid for a year or two so that will certainly hurt unless we upgrade but don't blame him.  It's the bar originally set by the Yankees that has caused salaries to be completely out of control these days.

Jacoby will be missed but like I said before that type of long term contract for a guy who is a significant leg or ankle injury away from ending his career was a huge risk.  Jacoby's legs dictate his numbers not natural talent.

#2 Why do I need money?  I already have plenty, just want another championship

I think that answer would be different today.

And why is that?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Would Naps taken a 69 million more offer or return to Sox? Ells will be getting 169 mil  for full contract. Sox i believed would offer Ell about 100 mil ? Do you think Cano should have been loyal to yankees instead of getting 240 mil?..... What would you do?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't care about lack of loyalty.

I just hate the guy based on the fact that he is not and never has been a team player.

With his speed, he could raise his batting average, on base percentage and runs scored by bunting more often. Sure, he gives the obligatory "fake bunt" on the first pitch almost every time.....but then he never bunts!!!...who in hell does he think he is fooling?

He wants to swing away all the time, because he wants more doubles, triples and homeruns because they = lot$ of money at contract time. He got his wish.

I hope he is satisfied with his new bloated contract and his team of has-beens getting overpaid.

Say "goodbye" to postseason Jacoby. You will never see it again.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sox offer was about 60-70 mil less ... Would you stay? Ells would have signed with Houston for that kind of money...... People have more excuses why Ells left and can't deal with what every person would jump on if they had that chance to cash in..... Move on.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just hate the guy based on the fact that he is not and never has been a team player.

With his speed, he could raise his batting average, on base percentage and runs scored by bunting more often. Sure, he gives the obligatory "fake bunt" on the first pitch almost every time.....but then he never bunts!!!...who in hell does he think he is fooling?

He wants to swing away all the time, because he wants more doubles, triples and homeruns because they = lot$ of money at contract time. He got his wish.

I hope he is satisfied with his new bloated contract and his team of has-beens getting overpaid.

[/QUOTE]

fans just don't get it.... Had he signed with sox ....They would dance in the street. Do like the stupid Yankee Fans and burn his shirt...like they did Cano's......It's thier life not yours so grow up !!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if the reports are true that the Sox tried to extend him multiple times and then offered 5/100 or 6/120 this winter, then they did about all they could. I consider those more than fair offers...the Yankees just offered a lot more.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if the reports are true that the Sox tried to extend him multiple times and then offered 5/100 or 6/120 this winter, then they did about all they could. I consider those more than fair offers...the Yankees just offered a lot more.

[/QUOTE]

It takes a very unique kind of resentment/revengeful personality for guys like Ells and Damon to sign with our biggest rival, not just the money factor.  Let it go and forget about it, I liked Jacoby's role on the team but agreed he wasn't worth that kind of money or ever seemed as comfortable as others in the clubhouse. 

One can argue but if Ells thought fans were tough on him here through injuries he may get another reality check in NY if he doesn't produce.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Look, it would be one thing if the Sox asked Ellsbury to take a 10% pay cut to stay in Boston, and he turned that down. What actualy happened is the Sox wouldn't go over ~$100mm, and the Yanks offered $153mm -- that would mean a 33% pay cut to stay in Boston. That's just not a reasonable "hometown discount" to expect. Ellsbury might have given Boston a hometown discount, if the discount was reasonable. This just wasn't.

That said, boo all you want: he's a Yankee now. Just don't get all high-and-mighty about turncoats and traitors, because that's not what happened.

[/QUOTE]

This is the reverse of Damon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It takes a very unique kind of resentment/revengeful personality for guys like Ells and Damon to sign with our biggest rival, not just the money factor.  Let it go and forget about it, I liked Jacoby's role on the team but agreed he wasn't worth that kind of money or ever seemed as comfortable as others in the clubhouse. 

One can argue but if Ells thought fans were tough on him here through injuries he may get another reality check in NY if he doesn't produce.

[/QUOTE]

He isn't a fan he is a player. This is job. He left for another employer for a ton of dough. I don't ser it as resentment but a trying to sell your wares to the highest bidder.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees will at one point in the next 7 years make it to the playoffs. Probably more than once.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Agree, he always seemed a little stiff and a bit of a loner. A perfect fit for the yankees. He never seemed to be much of a clubhouse guy. I don't think he liked the way he was criticised as milking his rib injury by a lot of people, or liked the way he was handled by the medical staff. The sox didn't seem to make much of an effort to retain him.Maybe they knew he wasn't very happy here.

i dont agree with any of that. The price simply went past what the sox were willing to pay. in both years and money.I doubt either side held any malice towards the other during his time here.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He isn't a fan he is a player. This is job. He left for another employer for a ton of dough. I don't ser it as resentment but a trying to sell your wares to the highest bidder.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, you can add greedy and unfaithful to the list I just didn't want to say it :)  If you really care to argue compare Pede with Cano.  As a Sox fan I can only hope JBJ can be compared to Jacoby in a couple of years as Nap's 2/32mil can be compared to what the Yanks gave Tex.  They are similar talents these days. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees will at one point in the next 7 years make it to the playoffs. Probably more than once.

[/QUOTE]

Probably the vast majority if not all

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He may have wanted to stay here, but nobody in their right mind would leave $50-70M on the table out of "loyalty".

I have no problem at all with him taking a massive amount of money. This contract will set up his children's children's children's....

No "boo" from me.

Sections
Shortcuts