Lucchino Confirms Sox in on Napoli/Hamilton.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Lucchino Confirms Sox in on Napoli/Hamilton.

Red Sox President and CEO Larry Lucchino confirmed to Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM (via Twitter) that the club hopes to sign Mike Napoli, though it has to be on a three-year deal, not a four-year deal.  Lucchino added that the club is in on Hamilton (Twitter link) but they won't go to six, seven, or eight years to make it happen. 

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/quick-hits-mariners-cabrera-greinke-dempster.html#XZHFg7xr7lpQ6OSJ.99

Thoughts? I don't like the fact that the Sox are in on Hamilton 3 years maybe 4 should be the max ammount of years he recieves I wouldn't even give him 5 years if he begged for it. 3 years  at 70 - 75 million would be my absolute max.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Lucchino Confirms Sox in on Napoli/Hamilton.

if we could get him at 5 years...do it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/20221203new_place_same_wait_as_sox_mull/

but i'd take napoli and victorino also....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Neither Napoli nor switch-hitting Shane Victorino received qualifying offers. The Red Sox have talked to Victorino, who would fill the void in right field and may have to settle for a shorter-term deal than fellow free agent outfielders Josh Hamilton, Michael Bourn and even Angel Pagan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

I'd rather Swisher/LaRoche I think LaRoche said hes looking for 2 or 3 years and with Swisher even though hes older he gets on base, and played fine in New York and wouldn't have to worry about him being able to handle it. Also his numbers in Fenway are good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I love Hamilton but I honestly think anything more than 3 years is asking for trouble. I will support this player if he comes here but I hope the FO doesn't think it needs to feed us candy to have our support.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:

I'd rather Swisher/LaRoche I think LaRoche said hes looking for 2 or 3 years and with Swisher even though hes older he gets on base, and played fine in New York and wouldn't have to worry about him being able to handle it. Also his numbers in Fenway are good.

but we wouldn't have to give up draft picks with napoli and victorino...laroche and swisher we have to.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

I love Hamilton but I honestly think anything more than 3 years is asking for trouble. I will support this player if he comes here but I hope the FO doesn't think it needs to feed us candy to have our support.

i hear you..but hamilton is worth a 5 year deal...the guy would do damage in fenway..same as napoli.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

prefer laroche/hamilton, willing to give up a pick to get loroche instead of napoli

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

prefer laroche/hamilton, willing to give up a pick to get loroche instead of napoli

that would be nice..2 leftys?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

napoli hit 220 something last year, another 220 hitter like salty, don't like 220 hitters

other people wanted reynolds, another 220 hitter

all these guys hit 20 homers but they all hit 220

don't want any of them

the sooner they trade salty the better

left right don't care, like guys who can hit for average like hamilton/laroche with power too

already have gomes a 240 hitter righty with 20 homers

and ross another righty still might sign 260 plus 20 homers

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

napoli hit 220 something last year, another 220 hitter like salty, don't like 220 hitters

don't want any of them

left right don't care, like guys who can hit for average like hamilton/laroche with power too

yeah i don't care about the left and right thing also...i get what you are saying...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

hamilton makes sense for the sox but only for 5 years or less. one thing to keep in mind with him is that he does not have the typical wear and tear on him that a 31 yr old player would have. hes only played 6 years in the majors. so i think the sox would do well signing him for 5 years. they need to replace adrian gonzalez's bat and hamilton would do that no problem. he put up .285 43 and 128. napoli on the other hand im not sure i like. is he a good player? yes. he hits for tons of power but he sucks defensively and is not really a 1B. in reality the sox need a 3 hitter and a 4 hitter. hamilton would fill one of those spots, but really the sox should be targeting another big bat for first. not a guy who hits .220 like napoli. the sox should be aiming much higher. or if they really want napoli, aim higher for lf, assuming hamilton would be right field, if the sox signed him and napoli, then they trade for a LF. (gomes would be the back up). someone like justin upton would be great. a 3/4 combo of hamilton and upton would be up there as one of top 3/4 combos in the league. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

i hear you..but hamilton is worth a 5 year deal...the guy would do damage in fenway..same as napoli.

Napoli would play about 48 games a year at Fenway, just how much damage can he do overall?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

RS let Larry Luckyone run team last year, How did that turn out? Needs to keep his mouth shut [do his own job] and let Ben run team this year and see if he has what it takes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Napoli is a 2 year and 20M max profile. Going near 40 to 50M is simply laughable.

Hamilton is a 3 year and 17M profile, due to age, substance abuse, injury history and the fact that the Red Sox need a young RH OF slugger more than they need a few years of old Hamilton.

I agree I wouldn't go more than 2 yrs on Napoli. As for Hamilton I'd go as far as 4 yrs w/ an option yr, he's worth the reach. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I would not believe anything that Larry Luchinno says. He is a spin doctor. We will be in on in but will not do anything. Call me a cynic but I will believe it when I see it.

Incidentally I read that the Dodgers went to him to make that deal (Punto Deal) not Ben Cherrington as I had suspected. Larry Luchinno is the real GM of the Red Sox not Ben Cherrington, who is window dressing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Red Sox President and CEO Larry Lucchino confirmed to Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM (via Twitter) that the club hopes to sign Mike Napoli, though it has to be on a three-year deal, not a four-year deal.  Lucchino added that the club is in on Hamilton (Twitter link) but they won't go to six, seven, or eight years to make it happen. 

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/quick-hits-mariners-cabrera-greinke-dempster.html#XZHFg7xr7lpQ6OSJ.99

Thoughts? I don't like the fact that the Sox are in on Hamilton 3 years maybe 4 should be the max ammount of years he recieves I wouldn't even give him 5 years if he begged for it. 3 years  at 70 - 75 million would be my absolute max.

No thanx for Hamilton, good power hitter but will not handle the pressure in Red Sox nation. 50/50 shot that he could end being a Crawford remake. High expectations and ending with disappointment. High risk is too high. I personally would rather see Cody Ross playing OF lower risk factor. If the Sox sign Hamilton hopefully i am wrong and next season i am eating crow.

If we sign Napoli first then the Sox will not need Hamilton. This is just my opinion.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Napoli would play about 48 games a year at Fenway, just how much damage can he do overall?

48? Last time I checked there were 81 home games per year...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Hamilton for 4 plus a 5th year option fits rather nicely with what this team is trying to do.  About the time that  Hamilton's contract is up, it will be arbitration years and possilbe long-term extensions for Brentz, Bradley and/or Kalish.  Also means trading Ellsbury NOW is more of a possibility.

Reynolds at 1b would be my choice.  No draft pick sacrificed.  Lots of power.  Decent, if not spectacular defense at first.

Hamilton, Reynolds, Ortiz, Gomes.  Those four, batting 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th could amass 120 Hrs between them.  Then you can live with Iglesias's lack of offense at SS. 

That said.  No to Hamilton if it means not picking up one of the best starters on the market.  That is THE priority, IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

don't want any of them

Difference with Napoli and Reynolds is that they both draw walks, so even when they hit in the .220s, they are getting on base at a clip above .300.  Not the case with Salty.  Don't know for sure, but I imagine Reynolds is less of a plug on the bases than Napoli.  I would prefer Reynolds to Napoli, and I would prefer Salty go in a trade, perhaps with Ells and Doubront for a top starter if that can be worked out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Hamilton for 4 plus a 5th year option fits rather nicely with what this team is trying to do.  About the time that  Hamilton's contract is up, it will be arbitration years and possilbe long-term extensions for Brentz, Bradley and/or Kalish.  Also means trading Ellsbury NOW is more of a possibility.

Reynolds at 1b would be my choice.  No draft pick sacrificed.  Lots of power.  Decent, if not spectacular defense at first.

Hamilton, Reynolds, Ortiz, Gomes.  Those four, batting 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th could amass 120 Hrs between them.  Then you can live with Iglesias's lack of offense at SS. 

That said.  No to Hamilton if it means not picking up one of the best starters on the market.  That is THE priority, IMO.

Where are you hitting Middlebrooks? He has to be in the middle of the order somewhere.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

The only time Swisher doen't get on base is during the playoffs ? Maybe find a playoff bat to replace him. NO TO THE SWISHER

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

Hamilton..3 years max......Napoli bad catcher and just as if not worse firstbaseman.But he can hit at Fenway .What about on the road? This would be a ( panic ) sign by Management

Sections
Shortcuts