Lucchino Confirms Sox in on Napoli/Hamilton.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Lucchino Confirms Sox in on Napoli/Hamilton.

Signing Hamilton would be a mistake. IMO, his best years are behind him, and i really think he has mental issues as well as injury problems.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Signing Hamilton would be a mistake. IMO, his best years are behind him, and i really think he has mental issues as well as injury problems.

Hamilton is truly this eras Babe Ruth, with all that that entails. I'd sign him to a 4 yr $100 million deal and sit back and watch him transform our offense almost singlehandidly. It's an over payment per year to allow us a shorter contract with less risk as he ages. Will he miss some games? Yepper....more than we'd all like. But I say he's well worth it for his offense as well as under rated defense. We'll also need to add some very clear conditions to his contract regarding reporting to his addiction sponsors,etc. to try to avoid his relapsing. It would be a transformative move for us, like adding Ramirez/Pedro/Ortiz was for us in the past. There is also the fact that this huge talent upgrade would cost us zero prospects, leaving us with some pieces to make a move for a pitcher. I like it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to Teakus's comment:

Hamilton is truly this eras Babe Ruth, with all that that entails. I'd sign him to a 4 yr $100 million deal and sit back and watch him transform our offense almost singlehandidly. It's an over payment per year to allow us a shorter contract with less risk as he ages. Will he miss some games? Yepper....more than we'd all like. But I say he's well worth it for his offense as well as under rated defense. We'll also need to add some very clear conditions to his contract regarding reporting to his addiction sponsors,etc. to try to avoid his relapsing. It would be a transformative move for us, like adding Ramirez/Pedro/Ortiz was for us in the past. There is also the fact that this huge talent upgrade would cost us zero prospects, leaving us with some pieces to make a move for a pitcher. I like it.

I agree.....you would need to do what Texas did and get him a full time support group, but look at his numbers.....and he is 31..not 35....if he didnt have a substance abuse history....no one would be arguing a 5 year deals, they would be arguing a 7 year deal.....and he would be looking for 10....the history gives you paude but 4 years and a 5th year club option is not that bis a risk for a guy who would automatically be the biggest bat in your lineup

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox need an offensive boost.

I hope a four-year, $108 million deal is enough to sign Hamilton. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Hamilton is by far the best player available this year. It is just a matter of if you want to spend that much money , given the obvious risks involved. I would do it. Of course , it is not my money. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Hamilton is by far the best player available this year. It is just a matter of if you want to spend that much money , given the obvious risks involved. I would do it. Of course , it is not my money. 

I agree with you.  I hope Boston lands Hamilton (for the right years and dollars).  After all, it's not my money either.   LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think Sox will offer Hamilton 5 yr $130M contract (maybe option yr after that) and should have pretty good chance landing him.  We have DH spot reserved for two yrs and I think Hamilton is a perfect player to take over who will play OF during the inter league.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Teakus' comment:

Good post...We will have to deal with some of the things that come with him, but the production under the right conditions could far outweigh the negatives.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Napoli is a 2 year and 20M max profile. Going near 40 to 50M is simply laughable.

Hamilton is a 3 year and 17M profile, due to age, substance abuse, injury history and the fact that the Red Sox need a young RH OF slugger more than they need a few years of old Hamilton.

Your ideas never sound realistic... no way would Napoli take a 2 year and Hamiliton will not take a 3.... so is that 17 mil for 3 years? If so, that is even more unrealistic..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to Teakus' comment:

The more I think about it, the more I want Hamilton ( the right $ , the right yrs ). I'm perfectly fine w/ Cody Ross though. I think it also matters if the Sox sign a "Top line" SP first or not. Where are they at payroll-wise after Napoli signing? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

4-5 years? Then absolutely man! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just because Hamilton is the best FA out there, does not mean this is the time to make the big plunge.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

you cant deny that hamilton would make a great addition moon. albeit the pirce has to be right..

hard to think some team wont take the chance and give him 6 or 7 years though..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I would go no more than 4. 3 with an option would be ideal. Id be ok overpaying for that deal, just like Im ok with overpaying for Gomes, Ross and napoli for low years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChronicNYY13. Show ChronicNYY13's posts

[/QUOTE]

As a Red Sox fan you should know that no one is the Babe.  When was Hamilton a 20 game winner, or for that matter when has a won a world series?  The Babe could pitch and hit and he did it all with hot dog power.  Maybe a little whiskey too.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChronicNYY13. Show ChronicNYY13's posts

Red Sox President and CEO Larry Lucchino

Is the reason this team sucked last year and will continue.  It is amazing to me that Theo did as well as he did with this clown looking over his shoulder. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

you cant deny that hamilton would make a great addition moon. albeit the pirce has to be right..

While having a healthy Hamilton in our line-up next year would help, his contract would cripple this team for years to come. Although he is better than Crawford, it would be a big mistake to sign him to more than 3 years. 5-6 years is insane. I'll give up the short term gains we'd get by signing him for the longterm health of the team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

While having a healthy Hamilton in our line-up next year would help, his contract would cripple this team for years to come. Although he is better than Crawford, it would be a big mistake to sign him to more than 3 years. 5-6 years is insane. I'll give up the short term gains we'd get by signing him for the longterm health of the team.

Oh no, it's the 'c' word again - cripple :-)

IMHO, as bad as Crawford's contract was, I still think the word cripple is too strong.  When a team with a 170 million payroll flushes 20 of it away, that's bad for sure.  But they still have 150 million to work with.  When you accumulate a few big bad contracts like that, well then you're crippled.  Until Magic Johnson smiles down upon you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

If 4 years and $100 million is all it takes, I'd do that in an instant and consider us lucky.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

If 4 years and $100 million is all it takes, I'd do that in an instant and consider us lucky.

No doubt.  Sadly, no way 4 years gets it done.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

But how long do you wait, Moon?  This guy, along with Papi and Napoli would make a formidable 3-4-5 or 4-5-6 in the order and would next year too.  And he's not going to be available next year. 

I'd sign him now for as long as five years, six with a player option (salary to be discussed after 5) as part of a longer term plan.  Then go after the best pitcher you can get and sign him to at least a three year deal.  That way the Sox would have both of those guys through 2015.  Add another pitcher a year from now and this team is formidable in 2013 and smokin' hot in 2014. 

Yeah, it's a whole lot of money but when this machine is clicking on all cylinders it's a money making machine!  Another WS win would boost their revenues significantly.  Probably not enough to pay Hamilton's salary but enough to make a dent in it.

The only unorthidox thing I'd want is an out clause to allow the Sox to get out from under Hamilton's contract if his personal problems prevent him from playing, and if he's not willing to give that he's too big a risk. 

The downside of this would please Softy no end because it would probably prevent the Sox from signing or extending Ells so we'd be taking a chance on JBJ, but it's a chance I'd take.   

Sections
Shortcuts