Lucchino's Comments about Beckett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Lucchino's Comments about Beckett

Larry Lucchino stated this about Josh Beckett:

"I think he is on the same page, just less willing to deal with the media right now," Lucchino said. "But he was a highly motivated guy when I spoke to him. I think he feels like we as a team have something to prove. They as a pitching staff have something to prove. I think you will see a highly motivated Josh Beckett."

I have a problem with the "we have something to prove" comment. After Beckett's horrible 2010 season, didn't he have something to prove in 2011?
    Drinking in the clubhouse was one of the ways of proving that?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

Re: Lucchino's Comments about Beckett

For all we know, they drank more in 2010 and cut back this year because they had something to prove

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Lucchino's Comments about Beckett:
    For all we know, they drank more in 2010 and cut back this year because they had something to prove
    Posted by accland

good point Acc.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Whatever ADG.

Yeah they have something to prove. Why pick at every word and put the context of choice on it?

As for 2011 the reaction to Beckett has been disproportional in many ways. he was by far the best pitcher the Rs had in 2011. He was 4th in the AL in WHIP and 5th in ERA (both better than King Felix in 2011 BTW).

It won't just be Beckett IJMO, this whole team is going to come into 2012 with a big chip on their shoulders. They are going to want to amends for their shor comings but just as important they are going to want to stick it the media in Boston on the scoreboard every night. (A lot like Ellsbury in 2011).

As bad and as embarrassing as the RS September was, the media and market reaction was equally if not more embarrassing IMHO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I never felt Beckett was very media-friendly to begin with....can't really blame him, though.

It's kind of ironic how Lucchino always sticks up for Beckett. But, really if you take away 2007 and 2003 from his resume, he isn't much of an ace. For the amount of money these guys get, they shouldn't need any outside motivation. You would think getting a handsome pay would be enough to motivate these guys to try and play at their peak all the time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Larry is boxed in because of Union slugs. Beckett is under long term contract and is damaged goods already. Beckett should be suspended for at least a month without pay and/or fined for at least 25% of that contract. Ditto Lester and Lackey.

Most big unions are not early 19th century basic human rights missions to end child labor and brutal working conditions. They are instruments of organized crime and corruption who seek something for nothing without accountability.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I really don't trust him.I think Lucchino is the person who leaked Francona's pain pill use and marital problems to the media

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I don't trust Ellsbury. Tito tried to be hard on him during 2010 fiasco, for his own good. I think Ellsbury leaked Tito's marital and pain pill information.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

To you "I thinkers"...proof, a link....anything or is your thought just a random expelling of gas from your brain?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Whatever ADG. Yeah they have something to prove. Why pick at every word and put the context of choice on it? As for 2011 the reaction to Beckett has been disproportional in many ways. he was by far the best pitcher the Rs had in 2011. He was 4th in the AL in WHIP and 5th in ERA (both better than King Felix in 2011 BTW). It won't just be Beckett IJMO, this whole team is going to come into 2012 with a big chip on their shoulders. They are going to want to amends for their shor comings but just as important they are going to want to stick it the media in Boston on the scoreboard every night. (A lot like Ellsbury in 2011). As bad and as embarrassing as the RS September was, the media and market reaction was equally if not more embarrassing IMHO.
    Posted by fivekatz

As was already suggested by a few posters on this site, the Red Sox have to become more like the Patriots when dealing with the media. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Hope Beckett is working out instead of going hunting and fishing every day on the ranch...and drinking Lone Star Beer....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

To you "I thinkers" ...proof, a link....anything or is your thought just a random expelling of gas from your brain?
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

I just stated my opinion.When Francona had his press conference he said"To be honest with you, I didn't know, or I'm not sure, how much support there was from ownership,". "I was actually puzzled by that comment," Lucchino said at a press conference held following one by Francona at Fenway Park.
       The next day,Francona's problems were leaked to the Globe's Bob Hohler.Bob Hohler was interviewed by the Boston Fox network last night and was reminded that John Henry said the Hoeler made the statement "the owners were not the source".Hohler answered "I never made that statement publicly,and I'm afraid I can't make that statement publicly".
      Kind of makes me wonder because Francona's medical records aren't seen by a whole lot of people.Probably the medical staff and the Front Office personnel would be my guess.
     That's how I formed my opinion,not that it's right or a fact,it's an opinion.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/sports/interview-with-bob-hohler-20111027

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

AT LEAST HE PROVED SOMETHING STATISTICALLY THIS YEAR...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Lucchino's Comments about Beckett:
    Larry Lucchino stated this about Josh Beckett: "I think he is on the same page, just less willing to deal with the media right now," Lucchino said. "But he was a highly motivated guy when I spoke to him. I think he feels like we as a team have something to prove. They as a pitching staff have something to prove. I think you will see a highly motivated Josh Beckett." I have a problem with the "we have something to prove" comment. After Beckett's horrible 2010 season, didn't he have something to prove in 2011? Drinking in the clubhouse was one of the ways of proving that?
    Posted by ADG

Expect nothing but lip service (if that) from Beckett. He prides himself on being insolent. And Jack McKeon's testimony from eight years ago tells us all we need to know about Beckett's (un)willingness to conform to club policies. If he produces, all will be forgotten. If he doesn't then...well, release the hounds!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Re: Lucchino's Comments about Beckett : I just stated my opinion.When Francona had his press conference he said"To be honest with you, I didn't know, or I'm not sure, how much support there was from ownership,". "I was actually puzzled by that comment," Lucchino said at a press conference held following one by Francona at Fenway Park.    The next day,Francona's problems were leaked to the Globe's Bob Hohler.Bob Hohler was interviewed by the Boston Fox network last night and was reminded that John Henry said the Hoeler made the statement "the owners were not the source".Hohler answered "I never made that statement publicly,and I'm afraid I can't make that statement publicly".   Kind of makes me wonder because Francona's medical records aren't seen by a whole lot of people.Probably the medical staff and the Front Office personnel would be my guess.  That's how I formed my opinion,not that it's right or a fact,it's an opinion. http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/sports/interview-with-bob-hohler-20111027
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Well done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Lucchino's Comments about Beckett:
    Larry Lucchino stated this about Josh Beckett: "I think he is on the same page, just less willing to deal with the media right now," Lucchino said. "But he was a highly motivated guy when I spoke to him. I think he feels like we as a team have something to prove. They as a pitching staff have something to prove. I think you will see a highly motivated Josh Beckett." I have a problem with the "we have something to prove" comment. After Beckett's horrible 2010 season, didn't he have something to prove in 2011? Drinking in the clubhouse was one of the ways of proving that?
    Posted by ADG

From a pitching standpoint I thought Beckett did prove something...to a point...he was having a much better season in 2011 until September...drinking beer likely did not influence his on-field pitching...he just made too many mistakes, as did Lester!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

I never felt Beckett was very media-friendly to begin with....can't really blame him, though. It's kind of ironic how Lucchino always sticks up for Beckett. But, really if you take away 2007 and 2003 from his resume, he isn't much of an ace. For the amount of money these guys get, they shouldn't need any outside motivation. You would think getting a handsome pay would be enough to motivate these guys to try and play at their peak all the time.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD
    Good points on all counts. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Lucchino's Comments about Beckett : Well done.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

Thanks.I may be way off base,but it seems like Lucchino didn't like what Tito said about the Front Office not supporting him.If that's the case,it would make sense for him to try and discredit Francona with the pain pills and marital problems.
      In a Joe Maddon interview with WEEI.com,this is what he had to say:
    http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21150431/maddon-treatment-tito-almost-criminal

"It's almost criminal. It reeks of a set-up.It smells bad. I feel badly for the guy. I don't know him really well, but I know him. I know the players and how they think about him. it's a shame that he has to go through this."

It's a pretty good article if you're interested in reading it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I don't trust Ellsbury. Tito tried to be hard on him during 2010 fiasco, for his own good. I think Ellsbury leaked Tito's marital and pain pill information.
    Posted by hankwilliams

WOW, talk about rampart speculation and finger pointing...please provide one ounce of evidence that Ellsbury had anything to do with this information being leaked to the public.

Real good job hank (NOT!), just attempt to smear a person's character with not one iota of fact!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Lucchino's Comments about Beckett :  Thanks.I may be way off base,but it seems like Lucchino didn't like what Tito said about the Front Office not supporting him.If that's the case,it would make sense for him to try and discredit Francona with the pain pills and marital problems.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

I can see your basis for being suspicious of Lucchino.  Personally I'm also suspicious of the two guys who were fired right after the season, the first-base coach and the assistant who got canned.  Recent ex-employees are often a very good source for dirt.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Hope Beckett is working out instead of going hunting and fishing every day on the ranch...and drinking Lone Star Beer....
    Posted by beavis

I'd wager he's already gained 2.89 pounds per week since he last had a beer in the clubhouse...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Whatever ADG. Yeah they have something to prove. Why pick at every word and put the context of choice on it? As for 2011 the reaction to Beckett has been disproportional in many ways. he was by far the best pitcher the Rs had in 2011. He was 4th in the AL in WHIP and 5th in ERA (both better than King Felix in 2011 BTW). It won't just be Beckett IJMO, this whole team is going to come into 2012 with a big chip on their shoulders. They are going to want to amends for their shor comings but just as important they are going to want to stick it the media in Boston on the scoreboard every night. (A lot like Ellsbury in 2011). As bad and as embarrassing as the RS September was, the media and market reaction was equally if not more embarrassing IMHO.
    Posted by fivekatz

Beckett was like the boxer who wins eight of eleven rounds, then gets KOed in the twelfth.  He just didn't have the legs -- perhaps literally. Going into the stretch, he was the reigning Sox pitcher and being paid a bundle. The time for him to have a chip on his shoulder -- or whatever it would have taken -- was when the Sox needed him most. In sports, it's how you finish that counts -- not that you got your club into a position to finish well, as Beckett did earlier in the season. IMO, he deserves all the heat he's taking. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Another thread that proves stupidity will always find a target...

-Daf. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Posted by hankwilliams

ya, right.  A real classy comment.  Now say it 100 times and 25 people here will agree with you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Larry is boxed in because of Union slugs. ... Most big unions are not early 19th century basic human rights missions to end child labor and brutal working conditions. They are instruments of organized crime and corruption who seek something for nothing without accountability.  
    Posted by hankwilliams

And most lawyers are scum-sucking bottom feeders without a conscience who pad their own pockets by taking advantage of people who need assistance in the legal system.  They lie, they cheat, and they make backroom deals that penalize the people who are paying them. Lawyers are scum who make money off other people's misery. 

Sections
Shortcuts