Luke Scott signs with Rays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Luke Scott signs with Rays

The Rays have agreed to a one-year deal with free agent Luke Scott, filling one of their greatest offseason needs with a power bat to plug into the middle of their lineup, a source said Wednesday.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Luke Scott signs with Rays

It can't hurt. Everyone talks about the Rays pitching, but they have some promising outlooks on offense in 2012 as well:

1) Desmond Jennings (.805 OPS) should go from 287 PAs to 687 PAs.

2) Matt Joyce (27) has been over .825 for 2 years. He could bust out this year.

3) Jennings in the OF fulltime allows Zobrist to play 2B FT, and Sean Rodriguez to play SS fulltime. That's about a plus 100 in OPS at SS.

4) Longoria (25) should be 100% healthy and poised for a much bigger 2012 than his 2011.

5) Jaso, Chirinos and Lobaton should be able to improve on Shoppach's .607 OPS in 2011.

6) Luke Scott replaces Damon (.743).

The Bench now has 2 guys who started a lot of games last year:
    Sam Fuld (OF)
    Reid Brignac (IF)
    Other bench possibilities:
    Elliot Johnson
    Dan Johnson
    Justin Ruggiano
    Brandon Guyer

This may be their line-up:
    1) R-Jennings
    2) L-Kotchman
    3) S-Zobrist
    4) R-Longoria
    5) L-Joyce
    6) L-Scott
    7) R-Upton
    8) R- Rodriguez
    9) L-Jaso/R-Chirinos

This is better than 2011.

The Rays will not "go away" in 2012. They should win 92-95 games and be in the playoff hunt to the last handful of games, if not longer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I like the Rays, but don't had over too much credit to Lobaton and Chirinos.

Also, Jaso was dealt to the Mariners a couple months back for RHP Josh Luebke.

Ironic you mention Jaso; he recently lost his starting job...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

He can help, but they need a big bat, just one, and they will have as much chance for the division title as anyone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

The Rays have arms to deal in Wade Davis or Jeff Neimann if they need a catcher or another bat.     Matt Moore and Alex Cobb are major league ready if Davis or Neimann are dealt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Luke Scott signs with Rays:
    I like the Rays, but don't had over too much credit to Lobaton and Chirinos. Also, Jaso was dealt to the Mariners a couple months back for RHP Josh Luebke. Ironic you mention Jaso; he recently lost his starting job...
    Posted by notin

Thanks. I had forgotten that deal. Perhaps TB has something in mind for a new catcher, but Chirinos did put up some OK numbers in AAA (.770 OPS) and AA (.826).

Here's something I found from Billy Gardner, his AA manager, "Gardner: "He's a converted guy who was an infielder, moved to catcher. I was impressed with how well he adapted to that position, such a demanding position. He was voted the best defensive catcher in the league. I liked his approach at the plate, he attacked the ball, he could drive the ball, he had a good selective approach which made him a better hitter. I just think he needs to go through the experience of being a catcher and learning how to handle a staff and game-management type of stuff, which comes with experience. I was impressed with his physical work behind the plate, his ability to catch, throw and block.  "

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

Rays have a scary pitching staff, but their lineup doesn't really scare me. I guess Scott signing will provide a little punch though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Good player; his political bent is a different story.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Funny but the depth chart for the Rays staff is listed as:
  10. David Price
  11. James Shields
  12. Jeremy Hellickson
  13. Wade Davis
  14. Jeff Niemann

15. ...when Matt Moore and Alex Cobb are both ready to step into starter's rolls.

Add one big bat and the Rays could challenge 100 wins in 2012.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Don't know if it's true, but I've read Scott is something of a clubhouse cancer because of his vocal political/religous beliefs. Posted by davetheknave

...any supportive evidence?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Rays have a scary pitching staff, but their lineup doesn't really scare me. I guess Scott signing will provide a little punch though.

Their staff should be even better.

The offense still is not as good as Boston or New York's but it should improve:

1) Desmond Jennings (.805 OPS) should go from 287 PAs to 687 PAs.

2) Matt Joyce (27) has been over .825 for 2 years. He could bust out this year.

3) Jennings in the OF fulltime allows Zobrist to play 2B FT, and Sean Rodriguez to play SS fulltime. That's about a plus 100 in OPS at SS.

4) Longoria (25) should be 100% healthy and poised for a much bigger 2012 than his 2011.

5) Chirinos and Lobaton may be able to improve on Shoppach's .607 OPS in 2011.

6) Luke Scott replaces Damon (.743).

The Bench now has 2 guys who started a lot of games last year:
    Sam Fuld (OF)
    Reid Brignac (IF)

Other bench possibilities:
    Elliot Johnson
    Dan Johnson
    Justin Ruggiano
    Brandon Guyer

This may be their line-up:
    1) R-Jennings
    2) L-Kotchman
    3) S-Zobrist
    4) R-Longoria
    5) L-Joyce
    6) L-Scott
    7) R-Upton
    8) R- Rodriguez
    9) R-Chirinos/S-Lobaton

This looks like an improvenment over 2011.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

If the Rays can get another team to make a historic collapse, they might sneak in with around 91 wins for a quick playoff exit.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

If the Rays can get another team to make a historic collapse, they might sneak in with around 91 wins for a quick playoff exit.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

okay Law

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Rays still have claim as MLB's best

Still and yet, the best team in baseball headed into the 2012 season might just be the Tampa Bay Rays.

What you have, then, is a team that figures to be incrementally better in terms of starting pitching, relief pitching and offense and again be one of the top squads in terms of fielding. That places the Rays firmly in the discussion for best team in baseball. Given the aging lineups in Philly and the Bronx, the Rays might indeed be the best team on paper headed into the 2012 season.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb...good-other-team

This is the main point in my position that TB is not "going away", not just last year, but for many years to come. (See Part's I, II, III and softy's spoof threads.) They are the model for small market teams.

Any team with great young pitching under team control for several years is going to compete. Their defense is great. Their offense will improve with a full year of Jennings, and young players like Longoria, Joyce, and Zobrist heading into or in the middle of their prime.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Zorbist like Elles may have had a career year last year and could slip - but not far enough to be anything other than a very good player.

Zorbist like Elles may have had a career year last year and could slip - but not far enough to be anything other than a very good player.
    Posted by BurritoT

He does turn 31 in May (latter part of prime), but he actually had a much better year in 2009 (.297  27  91 with a .948 OPS) compared to 2011's 
    .269  20  91 with an .822 OPS.

He hasn't followed the typical S-Curve, and didn't really become a FT player until he was 28. His last 4 year's OPS:

.844                     .822

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I always believe the prime for a hitter is 28-33. Dwight Evans is a great example of that. 

Dewey was a bit of a late bloomer. I think the history of MLb shows 28-31 is prime for hitters, but if you don't make it to MLB until 26-28, maybe it's a bit later. Dewey made it earlier than Rice & Lynn, but took time to become a consistent all around hitter.

• Sections
    Shortcuts