Macro stats and the AL East

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Macro stats and the AL East

Macro stats are big, almost meaningless stats, like team ERA and team runs scored.  Naturally, I rely on them a lot. 

What they tell me right now is that the Rays and Sox are neck and neck for a reason.  Both have good pitching (Rays better than Sox, but not a lot better) and good hitting (Sox definitely better, but Rays are 5th best in AL, a big surprise given their history). 

The Orioles and Yankees, on the other hand, linger behind for the simple reason they both have good pitching or good hitting but not both.  The Yankees hitting, the result of a very anemic lineup caused by all those big hitters on the DL, is like 12th best in the AL, but their pitching is like 4th best.  The Orioles are the opposite--3d best hitting in the AL, but 13th best pitching. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Re: Macro stats and the AL East

The thing that worries me going down the stretch with the Rays is, Price had a terrible 1st half, and coming around to his CY YOUNG form, and their best Pitcher in 1st half Cobb should be coming back from DL.
    Essentially they did not have to make a trade, and their Starting Staff ought to be stronger. Last 2 Months in a Play-off drive, is usually about Pitching.
    Guy who doesn't get enough credit for that team is Jim Hickey the Pitching Coach. To me one of the best in MLB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What they tell me right now is that the Rays and Sox are neck and neck for a reason.  Both have good pitching (Rays better than Sox, but not a lot better) and good hitting (Sox definitely better, but Rays are 5th best in AL, a big surprise given their history). 

I expected the Rays pitching to be a little better than they have been thus far, even with the loss of Shields and Davis. However, I'm not sure we should be so surprised at them being 5th in runs scored in MLB. They were only about 70 runs from 5th place last year, and they now have a healthy Longoria, and a few young players stepping up their games. What surprises me is that they are #5 with out Zobrist, Joyce and Escobar doing as well as they have in recent years offensively. If those 3 improve, watch out!

Sox4ever

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

u neglected to mention Wil Myers moonslobber.

I neglected to mention several players by name, but Myers has not been the reason the Rays have jumped from 17th to 5th in runs scored over one season.

Myers is 12 on the team in PAs with only 144, just barely ahead of Sean Rodriguez (142) and Sam Fuld (136).

The main reason the Rays are 5th is the healthy Longoria (3 PAs from having the most on the team). James Loney may be the second reason, a player Burrislobber neglected to mention, who is at an .838 OPS right now. Another player who has meant more to the Rays than Myers thus far, and Burrislobber failed to mention, is Luke Scott with over 100 more PAs and an .817 OPS.

There are many reasons the Rays are better offensively. Myers is one for sure, but the kid has only played in 33 games. Sure, the Rays have done much better since he joined the club, but guess what?

The Rays were 6th in runs scored in the first half of 2013 just 5 runs behind the 5th place Indians.

The Rays started slow offensively (19th in runs in April), but they blew all MLB teams away in runs scored in May with 166 (18 ahead of the Tigers & 20 ahead of the Indians). No Myers. The Rays were back to 19th in June (107 runs)- the month Myers made his arrival (June 18th). So far in July, the Rays are 5th in runs scored- the same ranking as for the season- with Myers.

Like your mentor before you, softy the clown, you never let facts get in your way.

Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Macro stats are big, almost meaningless stats, like team ERA and team runs scored.  Naturally, I rely on them a lot. 

The Orioles and Yankees, on the other hand, linger behind for the simple reason they both have good pitching or good hitting but not both.  The Yankees hitting, the result of a very anemic lineup caused by all those big hitters on the DL, is like 12th best in the AL, but their pitching is like 4th best.  The Orioles are the opposite--3d best hitting in the AL, but 13th best pitching. 

Ohhhhh....

my dyslexia was at work - thought you were talking about MARCO not macro .... was interested to see what you had to say about our old friend Scutaro ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts