Magadan retained as hitting coach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Magadan retained as hitting coach

First coaching decision made by Valentine was to retain Dave Magadan. Comcast sports is reporting Orel Hershiser is being strongly considered for pitching coach

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Magadan to remain as hitting coach

In Response to Magadan to remain as hitting coach:
    [QUOTE]First coaching decision made by Valentine was to retain Dave Magadan. Comcast sports is reporting Oral Hershiser is being strongly considered for pitching coach
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    I like both of those moves.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yeah, I started a thread about this and some of Papi's comments too. I think I like the Hershiser idea as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Magadan did his job well. A no brainer.

The pitching coach will be a more critical decision than Valentine as manager. Orel certainly knows pitching. Hopefully, he can communicate and teach well enough to instill confidence in his subjects. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Magadan to remain as hitting coach:
    [QUOTE]Magadan did his job well. A no brainer. The pitching coach will be a more critical decision than Valentine as manager. Orel certainly knows pitching. Hopefully, he can communicate and teach well enough to instill confidence in his subjects. 
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Softy, I have been impressed with Hershiser's knowledge during the game broadcasts. A lot of things I didn't know and didn't think of.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

I agree, with you and Softy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]I agree, with you and Softy.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Magadan to remain as hitting coach : LOL
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

high on orel, think we could have done better than magadan.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Re: Magadan will remain as hitting coach

What plan does Magadan have to correct the batting stance of Crawford ?     At the insistence of Valentine, does he correct it this year ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Magadan retained as hitting coach

In Response to Magadan retained as hitting coach:
    [QUOTE]First coaching decision made by Valentine was to retain Dave Magadan. Comcast sports is reporting Orel Hershiser is being strongly considered for pitching coach
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

According to MLBTR, Magadan was staying regardless who the new manager would be.
    I was looking at Mags' stats. Had no idea he was such a light-hitting player....42 HRs in 16 seasons, Good OBP though, that's probably why the RS hired him, since they place more value on OBP than BA and run production. Sabermetrics do or die!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Offense was not the problem, so Magadan deserves to stay, IMO Hershiser would be a good pick-up. He couldn't possibly be worse than Young. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I think Orel Hershiser would make a tremendous pitching coach.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

I like Magadan as hitting coach.  It was frustrating in his early years as coach, but the approach in place definitely works.

Hershiser as pitching coach would be helpful.  He was a good pitcher, knowledgeable and seemed to be a good teammate.  He gets how a team should operate.  He seems to be respected.

I don't see him often on TV, but he doesn't make a fool of himself like some others do on ESPN or FOX.