Major Move for Proven Pitcher?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Major Move for Proven Pitcher?

The Red Sox have to get a major pitcher, not many of our top three guys Lester, Beckett, Bucholtz have gone over 200 innings. If one of these guys goes down for an extended period this team is dead !!! They cannot count on the throwaways and garbage from other teams that Henry has instructed young Ben to pick up. Management is already behind the power curve with the Yankee additions of Pineda and Kuroda. Stop with this luxury tax nonsense and spend some money. Enough with this nonsense of converting relievers to become starters, there is nothing guaranteed there either. Stop with the talk about next years class of free agent pitchers either, nothing guaranteed there either.

Unfortunately two pitchers are done for the year. Matsusaka always takes a agonizing long time to come back from an injury. Balls in Mr. Henry's Court now! Take some of that money out of the vault and spend it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Re: Major Move for Proven Pitcher?

For whom?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

We will not go over the luxury tax, pure and simple, what don't folks get about that. It has been well documented that John Henry will not allow that to happen.

Our pitching staff relative to now the Yankees and as always the Rays is without question sub par. Beckett and Lester have much to prove in 2012, with no guarentee they will in a positive way. Buch is an even bigger question mark. Sadly, I don't see him delivering 15 starts in 2012 as his back will act up leading to his career declining into the mist. Bard? Aceves?, as starters? Again unproven over the long haul. Beyond all this is an abyss of also rans that simply will not deliver anything above a third place finish at best.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Major Move for Proven Pitcher?:
    [QUOTE]The Red Sox have to get a major pitcher, not many of our top three guys Lester, Beckett, Bucholtz have gone over 200 innings. If one of these guys goes down for an extended period this team is dead !!! They cannot count on the throwaways and garbage from other teams that Henry has instructed young Ben to pick up. Management is already behind the power curve with the Yankee additions of Pineda and Kuroda. Stop with this luxury tax nonsense and spend some money. Enough with this nonsense of converting relievers to become starters, there is nothing guaranteed there either. Stop with the talk about next years class of free agent pitchers either, nothing guaranteed there either. Unfortunately two pitchers are done for the year. Matsusaka always takes a agonizing long time to come back from an injury. Balls in Mr. Henry's Court now! Take some of that money out of the vault and spend it. New post Reply to this post Report abuse Edit post
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

And the Phillies had great pitching???? GROW UP !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rvicini. Show rvicini's posts

It is time for us to be patient.. And that goes for me too...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Pineda was a great add.  Kuroda, not so much...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Matsusaka always takes a agonizing long time to come back from an injury.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Which is why he's said to be ahead of schedule in his rehab right?  Dice will be back by late June - mid July.  If one of the lottery ticket signings works out, we'll be in OK shape.  Bard should be able to move back to the pen in the 2nd half to help him stay within his innings limit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Oswalt for 1 year at $8 million seems like a no brainer, unless he is still hurt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Major Move for Proven Pitcher?:
    [QUOTE]Oswalt for 1 year at $8 million seems like a no brainer, unless he is still hurt.
    Posted by tripleb2066[/QUOTE]

I think Oswalt gets at least the same as Kuroda

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Pineda was a great add.  Kuroda, not so much...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

You would be singing a different tune if we signed Kuroda!
    Face it. Cherington is an idiot!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Major Move for Proven Pitcher? : I think Oswalt gets at least the same as Kuroda
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

No chance.  He was looking for less money and he's a much bigger injury risk.  I wouldn't want to see him on the Sox for more than $5M, though someone will likely outbid that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox have to get a major pitcher, not many of our top three guys Lester, Beckett, Bucholtz have gone over 200 innings. If one of these guys goes down for an extended period this team is dead !!! They cannot count on the throwaways and garbage from other teams that Henry has instructed young Ben to pick up. Management is already behind the power curve with the Yankee additions of Pineda and Kuroda. Stop with this luxury tax nonsense and spend some money. Enough with this nonsense of converting relievers to become starters, there is nothing guaranteed there either. Stop with the talk about next years class of free agent pitchers either, nothing guaranteed there either. Unfortunately two pitchers are done for the year. Matsusaka always takes a agonizing long time to come back from an injury. Balls in Mr. Henry's Court now! Take some of that money out of the vault and spend it. New post Reply to this post Report abuse Edit post
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Uh, I know I see things in error at times, but I thought Mr. Henry had already comitted to almost a hundred and sixty five million dead presidents.  Sorta shows his wallet is and has been open ....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dicorpo. Show dicorpo's posts

Am I the only one wondering why the  Fried Chicken 3 or other leaders on this team do not go to management and offer to extend their contracts for a year at a significantly reduced rate to free up the room to sign a bona fide #3/#4 starter under the cap?  They could lessen the blow to themselves by taking more money this year and putting the "cheap year" out significantly in the future? Can't believe I am saying this, but they should follow John Lackey on this one. 

If these guys really want to show the fans that they are not just out for themselves, they would do this.

Beyond doing the right thing, they also need to address reality. Management keeps saying that they were a 90 win team that fell apart and just need some tweaks. This holds true only in a vacuum where every other team is in a holding pattern and not enough is being said about this. As currently constituted, this team drops off 3 or 4 wins within the division against the Yankees now and another few against the new look Angels. Hold everything else constant and now we are looking at an 83-85 win team. For the most expensive ticket in all of baseball? Really?

Get the Big gun as a #4 now. Or just sell the team. Do not be penny wise and pound foolish.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Am I the only one wondering why the  Fried Chicken 3 or other leaders on this team do not go to management and offer to extend their contracts for a year at a significantly reduced rate to free up the room to sign a bona fide #3/#4 starter under the cap? 

That wouldn't happen.  The MLBPA would squash that notion in a heartbeat.  Precedent of signing for less is dangerous. 

I agree, though, that it would be classy and a team-first move......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Major Move for Proven Pitcher? : You would be singing a different tune if we signed Kuroda! Face it. Cherington is an idiot!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

No, not really.  I'd like him over say, Silva or Germano or even Aceves (as a starter) but I wouldn't have pretended he was anything but an average-to-above SP.

I would have wet myself had we gottne Pineda...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Major Move for Proven Pitcher? : No, not really.  I'd like him over say, Silva or Germano or even Aceves (as a starter) but I wouldn't have pretended he was anything but an average-to-above SP. I would have wet myself had we gottne Pineda...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Right now the Sox could use an average to above SP.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Am I the only one wondering why the  Fried Chicken 3 or other leaders on this team do not go to management and offer to extend their contracts for a year at a significantly reduced rate to free up the room to sign a bona fide #3/#4 starter under the cap?  That wouldn't happen.  The MLBPA would squash that notion in a heartbeat.  Precedent of signing for less is dangerous.  I agree, though, that it would be classy and a team-first move......
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]

I think we all think like that, no matter your rooting interest, but that will not happen in MLB.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

The one move that can potentially save this off season is signing Roy Oswalt.

Oswalt has never had a WHIP above 1.34 or an xFIP above 3.97. Even as late as 2010, he had an ERA of 2.76 and a WHIP of 1.03.

So what happenned to him last year? His first 4 starts were fantastic indicating a continuation of his 2010 success. His velocity in all 4 starts were totally in line with his velocity of the past 3-4 years aswell. He was dominant in those 4 games.

Then in game 5 he hurt his back, his velocity fell and he got ripped. He missed his next few starts and then came back with continued loss of his velocity. He pitched mediocre and then went on the DL. When he came back from the DL, his velocity started where he left off, but then it started to build. By his last start, he was throwing harder then he did all season.  He also pitched well statistically late in the year.

The fact Oswalt wants a one year deal excites me. It makes me think he has confidence in his health and ability. Getting Oswalt for 1-8 million would be the coup of the year. I prefer gambling on a pitcher with a bad back then a bad arm. Nothing seems to be wrong with his arm. His back seemed OK at the end of the year. And for 1 year, it isn't even a gamble.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

offer to extend their contracts for a year at a significantly reduced rate to free up the room to sign a bona fide #3/#4 starter under the cap?

I'm curious.  Have you gone into your boss and offered to take a significantly less salary?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Not happening, these guys never do that except in football to squeeze people under the cap.

[QUOTE]offer to extend their contracts for a year at a significantly reduced rate to free up the room to sign a bona fide #3/#4 starter under the cap? I'm curious.  Have you gone into your boss and offered to take a significantly less salary?
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I do think the Sox will make a move for a recognized 4/5 starter before ST starts.  If not just have to hope that all the pieces fall in place and the injury bug stays away all year for a change.