make Aceves the closer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

make Aceves the closer

if Bailey is going to be out long term then i say make Aceves the closer, he seems to have the attituded and certainly the stuff as well as the ability to pitch back to back days, i think he would relish the chance to do this too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: make Aceves the closer

I agree.  He has the make-up for it, and I think it would go a long way in salving his wounds over the stilted starter competition.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

He's got a chip on his shoulder right now and will want to prove he can do just about anything. In addition how many closers can throw multiple innings effectively, if need be? He has been my choice right along to be the closer-glad to see others feel the same.

I think Bobby V knows he's got a guy that can do the job.

When Bailey is healthy--let's see if he can wrestle the closers role away from the true "Ace."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: make Aceves the closer:
    I agree.  He has the make-up for it, and I think it would go a long way in salving his wounds over the stilted starter competition.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    Morning Space, i really like Ace, but i'd be leery of his back history( admittedly could also prove moot) and that despite his stuff and makeup(both good imo) he pitches to a lot of contact...could use it to his advantage though...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

morning gents!why not use morales to close for the first couple of games. I think that fredo is great for atleast 2-3 innings in relief.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I think I lean toward Malconcon. I like Aceves as a starter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: make Aceves the closer : Morning Space, i really like Ace, but i'd be leery of his back history( admittedly could also prove moot) and that despite his stuff and makeup(both good imo) he pitches to a lot of contact...could use it to his advantage though...
    Posted by jete02fan

Jete - Of course, with back injuries, there is always the spectre of recurrence.  But, I think that this line of thought on Aceves is particularly strong in Yankee fans who are bummed he got away, but not showing much in the way of traction Tongue Out.  Aceves was a horse last year.  And, to boot, a guy fresh off a serious back injury, jerked around from long relief to short to starter and back again, throwing as many innings as Alfredo threw, would probably break down at some point if the back was an issue.  But, point taken.  Maybe this year.  

As for his pitching to contact, reasonable concern.  It is more kosher to have your closer being a swing and miss type.  But, I watched Ace pitch a lot of high leverage innings last year.  And I would trust him with the ball in the ninth anytime, even if guys are making contact.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I think I lean toward Malconcon. I like Aceves as a starter.
    Posted by jaytf25
    I think Melancon is the winner by proxy!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

They make take the closer by committee approach.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

while i think aceves would put up better #s as a closer than melanchon I would rather see those numbersd put up over a larger body of work. Aceves should be in relief giving us 2-3 BEAUTIFUL innings and then have melanchon close. Rather than using a morales/bowden in 7th, melanchon in 8th and aceves in the 9th

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: make Aceves the closer :  Jete - Of course, with back injuries, there is always the spectre of recurrence.  , I think that this line of thought on Aceves is particularly strong in Yankee fans who areBut bummed he got away, but not showing much in the way of traction  .  Aceves was a horse last year.  And, to boot, a guy fresh off a serious back injury, jerked around from long relief to short to starter and back again, throwing as many innings as Alfredo threw, would probably break down at some point if the back was an issue.  But, point taken.  Maybe this year.   As for his pitching to contact, reasonable concern.  It is more kosher to have your closer being a swing and miss type.  But, I watched Ace pitch a lot of high leverage innings last year.  And I would trust him with the ball in the ninth anytime, even if guys are making contact.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    though i understood why, count me in that camp..that said, i've always said wherever Ace wound up i wanted him to do well...laundry aside(and except for against us..Tongue out, i'll root for Ace and  Mark Melancon ...Edit..looking forward to Thursday..Cool

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

not a big melancon fan, he would be a good 7th or 8th inning guy but i would trust aceves in the 9th more.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Aceves with no doubt in my mind.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Closers are truly a man created monster.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jumpshotking13. Show jumpshotking13's posts

Making Aceves the closer would neutralize his best quality. He's good at throwing multiple innings on short rest (think Tavares). He'll be the first guy out of the pen.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

I prefer Ace as the wildcard out of the pen, pitching when needed the most.  He'll generally be much more valuable getting the team to the 9th than waiting for it.  See if Melancon rises to the occasion.  If not maybe try Bowden or even Albers if he gets off to a strong start like he did last year?

I still think the best option is Bard, with Cook taking the 5 spot in the rotation for now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mammanaus. Show mammanaus's posts

Where is Keith Foulke?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I wanted Aceves to be the closer before Bailey got hurt, which seemed inevitable. And it was.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

It's Melancon's job to lose.  As others have already stated, Aceves is much more valuable as a flex guy.  If Melancon doesn't cut it, then Aceves fills in.  But then again, if Melancon can't cut it, the Sox will have some serious issues as far as bullpen depth is concerned whatever Aceves' role might be.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Reported by Boston Sports.net; Valentine stated, initially, the closer role will be shared by Melancon and Aceves. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Posted by SpacemanEephus

I agree and with Farnsworth going to the D/L list, I need Aceves to pick me up those lost saves in our fantasy league.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Even assuming he's successful at it, making Aceves a modern (1-inning) closer means we swap his 100-150 quality innings for 60-80 quality innings.

I would give Millinson (eye no its spelled Melancon) the chance to close before throwing Aceves at the problem.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I don't know why anyone would want to limit Aceves innings/appearances by making him a closer.

How many innings/batters does
     a closer face in the course of a week?

Seems  to me his true value is as a very resilient shut down reliever delivering 2-3 innings which he can do multiple times in the course of one week as a bridge to the closer.

I know there is a need on the Sox with Bailey down just don't think in the long run making Ace the closer makes the team stronger.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Melancon or Padilla for closing right now. Aceves as a long reliever, a good one, a valuable one at the same time. No dice.

Sections
Shortcuts