MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT, DICK WILLIAMS WAS THE BEST RED SOX MANAGER, EVAAAAAA!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT, DICK WILLIAMS WAS THE BEST RED SOX MANAGER, EVAAAAAA!!!!

In Response to Re: MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT, DICK WILLIAMS WAS THE BEST RED SOX MANAGER, EVAAAAAA!!!!:
    [QUOTE]'67 was the year I really became a professional baseball fan. I loved that impossible dream team, and I have a lot of respect for Dick Williams as well as Darrell Johnson, the next manager to bring the Sox to the World Series. The greatest Sox manager ever though? I have to go with hammah et al on this one. It has to be Terry. Not only has he won two championships, he has 8 years on the job too. Nobody lasts that long managing the Red Sox.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Never saw it defined that way before.  Maybe there are experts on this board after all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT, DICK WILLIAMS WAS THE BEST RED SOX MANAGER, EVAAAAAA!!!!

In Response to Re: MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT, DICK WILLIAMS WAS THE BEST RED SOX MANAGER, EVAAAAAA!!!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT, DICK WILLIAMS WAS THE BEST RED SOX MANAGER, EVAAAAAA!!!! : Great take and in fact Williams had limited shelf lives wherever he worked even in the good "old school" days. BOS - 3 seasons OAK - 3 seasons CAL - 3 seasons MON - 4 seasons SDP - 4 seasons SEA - 3 seasons The best ever discussions are always fun but hard to come to any conclusion about. And every argument of this type will end up with individual bias in naming that "best" person. What Williams accomplished was unique in that he took a team that had historically been so bad, that had a lot of emerging talent and took them further than anyone could imagine in a year of extreme parity at the top of the AL. His team's success set in motion a renaissance for the RS who had gone from the story in town from the late 30's to early 50's into less than lovable losers. In that regard Dick Williams could be called the

grandfather of RS Nation.
    But while many fans hammer Francona endlessly in Boston he is having a historic run here. He is now in his 8th season as the RS manager, which in his industry and this market is in and of itself a remarkable achievement. Only Joe Cronin will have managed the RS longer than Tito. Only Joe McCarthy has a high WPCT out of managers with multiple years managing the RS. He has won 2 WS titles. His currently club only has one player that started for his 2004 WS team. He has managed through a rebuild on the fly. He handles the media and modern players with grace. But so soon after Williams passing (a childhood hero of mine) I'd rather not focus on whether he was the greatest RS manager and rather just remember he was a great RS manager. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Another original. Twice in one thread! That's gotta be a forum record.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

What Williams accomplished was unique in that he took a team that had historically been so bad, that had a lot of emerging talent and took them further than anyone could imagine in a year of extreme parity at the top of the AL. His team's success set in motion a renaissance for the RS who had gone from the story in town from the late 30's to early 50's into less than lovable losers. In that regard Dick Williams could be called the grandfather of RS Nation. 
    -- fivekatz

------------------

A jewel of a paragraph; could not have been said better. Perhaps you can comment on one of the Jeter threads and provide an assessment; I'm curious, more than I would be for an obvious great like Ruth or TW.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Williams affect on Boston reminds me of Maddon's on Tampa.
    Different approach but similar results.
    Both turned a losing franchise into a winner.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Williams affect on Boston reminds me of Maddon's on Tampa. Different approach but similar results. Both turned a losing franchise into a winner.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

This is like comparing JC to Mother Teresa, but I get your drift.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Funny. I just used a similar analogy on another thread.

7. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts