Make Punto the everyday 2B.........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Make Punto the everyday 2B.........

.....and move Pedey to SS. He would make a stellar SS, certainly better than the one we have, and Punto is a solid defender as well who is much better hitter than Scut, albeit with less power.
    At least we would have someone on the left side who is better than mediocre.
    Can anyone dispute that Pedrioia would make a great SS?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Make Punto the everday 2B.........

The burden of proof for Pedey to be a good defensive SS is on YOU!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Wasn't this the subject of a thread for weeks last summer and we were all bored by it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Make Punto the everday 2B.........:
    The burden of proof for Pedey to be a good defensive SS is on YOU!
    Posted by andrewmitch

How about that he was drafted as a SS and played SS for ASU!
    There's your proof!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Ike, your disaproval of Scutaro is total and without equal.  however, I am not sure it is in any sort of proportion to his actual performance.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Ike, your disaproval of Scutaro is total and without equal.  however, I am not sure it is in any sort of proportion to his actual performance.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Spaceman, you have to admit the RS have limped through seasons '04 thru '11, without a regular SS. Scutaro is not a true SS, we are just settling for his services there because we haven't a better alternative.

The reason Pedey is not now the everyday SS, is that the organization thought him too diminutive to play the position, but I contend that David Eckstein made himself a career at the position, and certainly Eckstein has nothing on Pedroia.

For a team that prides itself on defense and pitching, these are the two weakest areas and both should be adressed. I think Pedey could move to SS and not miss a beat!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Make Punto the everday 2B......... : How about that he was drafted as a SS and played SS for ASU! There's your proof!
    Posted by Alibiike

He showed he couldn't handle the position back in 2006.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Pedroia is an all-star 2B and one of the top 2B in the Mjor league.  Why would you want to change that??? I really don't understand where your thinking are coming from.  Yes we didn't have a TRUE SS for a long time.  And you said a word TRUE.  Do you think Pedroia is a TRUE SS?? He's a TRUE 2B.  Unbeilievable.  Scutaro who played his whole career as a SS is not a true SS and Pedoria can be a true SS even if he played his whole pro career as a 2B??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Make Punto the everday 2B......... : Spaceman, you have to admit the RS have limped through seasons '04 thru '11, without a regular SS. Scutaro is not a true SS, we are just settling for his services there because we haven't a better alternative. The reason Pedey is not now the everyday SS, is that the organization thought him too diminutive to play the position, but I contend that David Eckstein made himself a career at the position, and certainly Eckstein has nothing on Pedroia. For a team that prides itself on defense and pitching, these are the two weakest areas and both should be adressed. I think Pedey could move to SS and not miss a beat!
    Posted by Alibiike

I am not against the notion of Pedey moving to short.  It is interesting to consider.  I mean, while we are moving Bard to the rotation, why not continue the shuffle?  But, in the end, I say keep Pedey at the position where he is one of the very best in the game.  And stay with a perfectly serviceable SS in Scutaro.  Of course, he is no prime-Nomar, nor is he Cabrera, nor is he the original A-Gon.  Yes, i want Iggy to work out so that we can look forward to a long future of having a webgem-regular playing the position and permanently erase the shadowy SS bugaboo of post-04 Red Sox.  but, until that day, Scutaro is just fine thanks.  Not nearly the disaster you paint him to be.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseball2006. Show baseball2006's posts

"The reason Pedey is not now the everyday SS, is that the organization thought him too diminutive to play the position."

Wrong answer!! The subject was discussed extensively prior to the 2010 season by team management, beat reporters and others in the know and the decision to keep Pedroia at second base was based on the player's value at second base. He was simply too damn valuable a second baseman to move.

There was never any discussion about his size being a factor in the decision.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Make Punto the everday 2B......... : Spaceman, you have to admit the RS have limped through seasons '04 thru '11, without a regular SS. Scutaro is not a true SS, we are just settling for his services there because we haven't a better alternative. The reason Pedey is not now the everyday SS, is that the organization thought him too diminutive to play the position, but I contend that David Eckstein made himself a career at the position, and certainly Eckstein has nothing on Pedroia. For a team that prides itself on defense and pitching, these are the two weakest areas and both should be adressed. I think Pedey could move to SS and not miss a beat!
    Posted by Alibiike

So you'd prefer Pedey and Punto over Pedey and Scutaro? Fool.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

move a GG 2nd basemen to SS??  I don't doubt he'd better at SS than Scutaro, but you can't strengthen SS and weaken 2nd...it doesn't make the team better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Make Punto the everday 2B......... : How about that he was drafted as a SS and played SS for ASU! There's your proof!
    Posted by Alibiike

Come on.  That is hardly proof.  How many players were at different (often more challenging) positions before they become professionally paid? 

Yaz - SS and 2B
    Evans - 3B
    Burks - SS
    Ted Williams - SS and Pitcher
    Mike Schmidt - SS
    Roberto Alomar - SS
    Ryan Sanderg - SS

That is not evidence.  We would have to see him in live games (doesn't have to be the regular season) to make a judgement.  Sure he could play a few games at SS but so called Billy Muellar and Mark Belhorn. 

Anyways, I kindly await your evidence. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I agree that Scutaro really isn't an MLB quality defensive SS but moving your future HOF (yeah I went there) 2B to SS is not how you fix the problem.  Is getting Nick Punto's bat in the line-up really that important?  The answer is no.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseball2006. Show baseball2006's posts

In Response to Re: Make Punto the everday 2B......... : Come on.  That is hardly proof.  How many players were at different (often more challenging) positions before they become professionally paid?  Yaz - SS and 2B Evans - 3B Burks - SS Ted Williams - SS and Pitcher Mike Schmidt - SS Roberto Alomar - SS Ryan Sanderg - SS That is not evidence.  We would have to see him in live games (doesn't have to be the regular season) to make a judgement.  Sure he could play a few games at SS but so called Billy Muellar and Mark Belhorn.  Anyways, I kindly await your evidence. 
    Posted by andrewmitch

Wasn't Tim Wakefield originally drafted by Pittsburg as a first baseman?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Rookie phenom Dee Gordon will enter his first full season as the Dodgers shortstop. Now that Rafael Furcal has moved on, it’s his job to lose. Gordon has amazing athletic abilities, but there is two main complaints against him. One is that he needs to improve his plate discipline. He only drew 7 walks last season, and his OBP was rather low at .325. If the Dodgers want him to develop into the speedy lead-off guy they hope he will be he needs to draw more walks and get on base, and he needs to make use of his game changing speed. The other knock is his defense. He made 10 errors last year and had a -10 on defense. He’s very flashy and makes a lot of great plays, but because of his inexperience he messes up many routine plays.

Gordon is going to have to learn on the job. 2012 projections has him hitting .270, driving in 62 runs, stealing 55 bases, and scoring 72 runs. That’s pretty solid for a rookie shortstop. Gordon is going to make mistakes next year, that we know, because he is a very raw prospect. However he has a great arm, runs like a track star, and has the ability to use his amazing speed to win games. We saw that last season. The sky is the limit for this young speedster.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Make Punto the everday 2B......... : Wasn't Tim Wakefield originally drafted by Pittsburg as a first baseman?
    Posted by baseball2006

bingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

In Response to Make Punto the everday 2B.........:
    [QUOTE].....and move Pedey to SS. He would make a stellar SS, certainly better than the one we have, and Punto is a solid defender as well who is much better hitter than Scut, albeit with less power. At least we would have someone on the left side who is better than mediocre. Can anyone dispute that Pedrioia would not make a great SS?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUO

Your math neeeds help if you think punto with a .249 carrer BAis better than Scutaro with a .270  CAREER ba.

Not a whole lot of baseball intelligence i can see by your post.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Someone wants to move a gold glover to a new position?

Why not make Punto a SS?

A better idea, left the infield as it is and focus on actual holes (RF anyone?)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I thought the Gold Glove was forever tainted when Palmero won the award.

And the Jeter won it that made the award basically worthless.

But when ol Timmy Lupus was given the award now refuse to even acknlowedge its existence.    It's almost like Selig is creating new awards every season so everyone can go home with a trophy so they won't feel like loser.  Pathetic...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

why move arguably the best second baseman in baseball away from his position???? why mess with a good thing.  Assuming Pedey performs the same, do you really think Punto will give you more than Scutaro?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I'm just trying to think of ways to improve the left side defense. Certainly I would not move Pedey to SS unless he was 100% committed.
    Yes, Punto is a better defensive player than Scutaro, and yes, we would lose somthing at 2B but gain a whole lot more at SS which is a much more demanding position.
    You people don't give enough credit to Pedroia, he could easily make the transition and be a GG caliber SS as well, IMO.

here's another out-of-the-box idea; Why not play Lavarnway in RF? It is his original college position and we could use a RH power bat in the OF.
    Now that Shoppach is on the roster, it makes perfect sense to get L-Way in the line-up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Pedrioa hands at 2b is to valuable there is hardly anyone out there that can turn a dp faster than pedroia. leave him alone.  Just leave this subject alone.  We got what we got and it's not going to change until illglesias gets here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Re: Make Punto the everyday 2B.........

Pedroia is a gifted hitter. Moving him to SS negates him from a terrific 2B defender to perhaps a good but not as exceptional SS defender. SS grind also takes plate numbers south, to some degree.

Punto, everyday 2B? You have to be joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

I'm just trying to think of ways to improve the left side defense. Certainly I would not move Pedey to SS unless he was 100% committed. Yes, Punto is a better defensive player than Scutaro, and yes, we would lose somthing at 2B but gain a whole lot more at SS which is a much more demanding position. You people don't give enough credit to Pedroia, he could easily make the transition and be a GG caliber SS as well, IMO. here's another out-of-the-box idea; Why not play Lavarnway in RF? It is his original college position and we could use a RH power bat in the OF. Now that Shoppach is on the roster, it makes perfect sense to get L-Way in the line-up.
    Posted by Alibiike

I've advocated trying Lavarnway in th outfield in another thread. Most seem to be opposed. I still think it's worth a look see in spring training. I believe he is considered to have a strong arm.

Sections
Shortcuts