Man was i wrong about Swisher !!!!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Man was i wrong about Swisher !!!!!!!!

I just did a quick stat check with both Napoli and Swisher batting against pitching in the east division.

Both players are same age group and can play different position. But Napoli can fill in the catching spot napoli and lavarnway can be a good backstoping duel.

napoli yanks pitching avg. .357,HR's 1, SO 5, RBI 1

Balt pitching    avg. .308, SO 3, RBI's 2, HR 0

TB pitching     avg. .286, SO's 3,HR's 0, RBI's 0

Jays pitching  avg..286, SO's3 RBI's 0, HR's 0

swisher avg. against division pitchers SO's 67, his best avg. was agst. the sox pitching staff, only positive for Swisher is his RBI totals is very high agst. div. pitching 41

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Re: Man was i wrong about Swisher !!!!!!!!

Napoli can be a FA to seek for 3 year deal and have Lavarnway mature for the next 3 years. Napoli can also play 1st base which the sox's need at the moment. Catcher and 1st base is roster that will need to be look at ASAP.

Lavarnway avg. agst. div. pitching .150 avg., 23 SO's,1 HR,6 RBI's. So he will definetly be on the bottom of the hitting order but mention already he is a good defensive catcher.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Napoli is a union slug, a terrible defensive catcher, and not much better at 1B.

His offense was very similar to Salty's last year, but he's on the way down, while softy is improving in almost every area of his game... you know, the guy you called a sub.

Napoli will get more than $24M/2, so once again your lowball offer is as good as useless- like all your others, but I wouldn't even offer him $16M/2. He's not worth it, and catching is not even one of our top 10 weaknesses.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Napoli is a union slug, a terrible defensive catcher, and not much better at 1B.

His offense was very similar to Salty's last year, but he's on the way down, while softy is improving in almost every area of his game... you know, the guy you called a sub.

Napoli will get more than $24M/2, so once again your lowball offer is as good as useless- like all your others, but I wouldn't even offer him $16M/2. He's not worth it, and catching is not even one of our top 10 weaknesses.

Great post .... Salty has done a good job and is getting better ... A solid back up and we are set at the catcher position ... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Salty was in the upper third of catchers with at least 100 ABs last year in OPS and WAR, but batted only .222.He also had more strikeouts than any other catcher in baseball with 139. So his overall evaluation is mixed, at best. If he got more rest maybe he could produce more consistently. Hopefully Lavarnway can provide some depth next year. If he can improve he can stay IMO; if not, he should be jettisoned in 2014 when we should be ready to make a run.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Swisher a much better option for RS than Napoli. Napoli averages about a hundred games a year for his career. Unfortunately there are a hundred and sixty two games in a season and Swisher played more than Napoli this season. Swisher hit about .270 this year compared to Napoli's ,227. Napoli does seem to be trending downward numbers wise and we should not be interested in him.  Funny thing though, Swisher has a limited no trade clause with six teams  on his list. I'd bet the RS are one of the teams. If however the Rays are in on Swisher and are successful in signing him, it's all over in the ALE for 2013. Everybody else is playing for the WC. The Rays make the nut by not signing C.Pena about 7.0 Mil and Luke Scott, about 6.0Mil and they free up a roster spot for another pitcher or other position player. Let's keep our fingers crossed, maybe they're not seeing this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Swisher stinks! Pass!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:

Swisher stinks! Pass!

Would you like to see he putrid and pathetic James baLoney playing first base for us next season?  I say we had better decide which first base candidate to go after and get one of them before they all disappear off the charts and we see the inept Cherington once again ink the disgusting Loney.  It is something I do not put past Cherington.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Aah,Righty........Still smarting over Reddick's GG. I know that was a big surprise for you Kalish lovers. Hypothetical situation; Kalish goes to Cleveland after they, the Indians, lose RF'er Chin Soo Chiu. They make him a promise that he'll bat third in the lineup, play every day against RH or LH pitchers, and live with his 1st year offense until the end of the season.   Think your boy is worth that kind of committment Righty? Yeah....for the Ohio Musketeers traveling  fast pitch softball team. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Loney is not the answer at first base.  As a left handed hitter he will have to play2/3 of the games (those started by righties) and I would project him to have between 6-10 HRs at the end of the season.

Gomez is not great against righties but I would think that he would have 15-22 HRs if he gets to play full time.

The guy I want to see given a chance is Sands.  He may just turn out to be better than either Loney or Gomez.

Middlebrooks is heading for first when one of the young SSs or 3Bs are ready for Fenway in a couple of years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Swisher is a useful player. To me, he's kind of a Kevin Millar type, though he's better than Millar. If you have an outstanding core, he's a heck of a secondary player. But if he's your core, you are probably not winning anything. 

I dont' think the Sox have that core yet. Pedroia is excellent. Beyond that, SS is a complete unknown, the C hits HR but that's all and the CF... well, I can't see how the Sox can rely on Ellsbury for production. 

I guess what i should have said is that for the sox to contend in 2013, they need a LOT of things to go right, one of which is the development of a big bat and I don't think that is coming from within. I like Middlebrooks, but I don't see him being a truly elite bat. he's more Mike Lowell than Albert Pujols or even Adrian Beltre.

Swisher is never going to be THE MAN in a lineup.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Id take Swish on a 3 year deal if the money was right. Switch hitter who can play a couple OF spots as well as play 1b if needed.

Dont care for Napoli except on a 1 year deal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

What part of Swisher is NEVER coming here are people still misunderstanding? He's NEVER coming here. Swisher will NEVER wear a Sox uniform, and neither will any other fan favorite from the Yankees. I am 100% sure of this, and believe he would retire if the Sox were his only option.

I will NEVER be proven wrong.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

What part of Swisher is NEVER coming here are people still misunderstanding? He's NEVER coming here. Swisher will NEVER wear a Sox uniform, and neither will any other fan favorite from the Yankees. I am 100% sure of this, and believe he would retire if the Sox were his only option.

i live in NY and thats not what they write in the papers. they are worried that he might want to jump ship and head to boston.

swisher has never said (to my knowlege) that he hates boston and would rather retire than play here. the players follow the money. swisher is not a fan favorite in NY nor is he a core player. NY wouldn't be shaking in their boots if he came to boston, yeah he would be boo'd when he came back to NY but it wouldn't be a big loss for them.

idc if we sign him or don't. he is a good option, good clubhouse guy, switch hitter and versatile. the deal breaker is what his contract will end up being. i don't think he will get the big money contract he is looking for but we won't know until the market presents itself. for the right $ i would like to have him here. if not, then we can find a suitable replacement and move on.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

When it comes to free agency, anything is possible.  

Long-time Yankee, David Wells signed with the Red Sox before the 2005 season.  

Roger Clemens went to Toronto before the 1997 season. 

All-time Brewer, Paul Molitor went to Toronto before the 1993 season.  

Besides, Boston is still an organization that can attract top free agents.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

i live in NY and thats not what they write in the papers. they are worried that he might want to jump ship and head to boston.

swisher has never said (to my knowlege) that he hates boston and would rather retire than play here. the players follow the money. swisher is not a fan favorite in NY nor is he a core player. NY wouldn't be shaking in their boots if he came to boston, yeah he would be boo'd when he came back to NY but it wouldn't be a big loss for them.

idc if we sign him or don't. he is a good option, good clubhouse guy, switch hitter and versatile. the deal breaker is what his contract will end up being. i don't think he will get the big money contract he is looking for but we won't know until the market presents itself. for the right $ i would like to have him here. if not, then we can find a suitable replacement and move on.

It's not a matter of him hating Boston, I just don't believe he would want to deal with the aftermath of going to the competition or the "enemy" in the BOS/NY world. The NY fans would never forgive him.

FTR I believe he's a great clubhouse guy. Actually seems like a lot of fun. But, again, he's NEVER coming here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

When it comes to free agency, anything is possible.  

Long-time Yankee, David Wells signed with the Red Sox before the 2005 season.  

Roger Clemens went to Toronto before the 1997 season. 

All-time Brewer, Paul Molitor went to Toronto before the 1993 season.  

Besides, Boston is still an organization that can attract top free agents.  

Anything is possible in free agency except well-known Yankee players coming to the Sox. Like I said in my previous post, they're never going to want to deal with the backlash in NY. Never.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It's not a matter of him hating Boston, I just don't believe he would want to deal with the aftermath of going to the competition or the "enemy" in the BOS/NY world. The NY fans would never forgive him.

FTR I believe he's a great clubhouse guy. Actually seems like a lot of fun. But, again, he's NEVER coming here.

He wasnt drafted by them and spent his whole career there. Jeter? Ok, then that would have merit. Not Swisher. Hes also not a fan and doesnt take the "play for the enemy" thing so seriously as you do. Its a job to him and he will go to the team that will pay him to play the game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

He wasnt drafted by them and spent his whole career there. Jeter? Ok, then that would have merit. Not Swisher. Hes also not a fan and doesnt take the "play for the enemy" thing so seriously as you do. Its a job to him and he will go to the team that will pay him to play the game.

Well then, I guess we'll see who's right. And I don't just mean Swisher. And, FTR, I didn't come up with the "play for the enemy" mentality. It's always been there, at least as long as I've followed baseball. It will NEVER happen.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:

Yankees have made a qualifying offer to Swisher and that means that Boston would lose a draft pick if they signed him. He is too expensive to sign anyway.

the sox finished in the bottom 10 and will not lose a draft pick no matter who they sign in FA

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Well then, I guess we'll see who's right. And I don't just mean Swisher. And, FTR, I didn't come up with the "play for the enemy" mentality. It's always been there, at least as long as I've followed baseball. It will NEVER happen.

Its not a matter of whos right and whos wrong. I never said you came up with the "play for the enemy" thing. I also didnt say either way if i thought he was coming here. I just stated that I dont think he would say no just because its the Red Sox.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:

Yankees have made a qualifying offer to Swisher and that means that Boston would lose a draft pick if they signed him. He is too expensive to sign anyway.

1st round protected.

Sections
Shortcuts