Manny Delcarmen redux?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

Manny Delcarmen redux?

Manny Delcarmen has been released by the Mariners.

He has been pitching only at AAA Tacoma this season, so, given the Sox injuries, especially the possible season-ending injury of Matsuzaka that would entail a call up from the AAA ranks, would you sign Delcarmen to a minor league deal? I am partial to Delcarmen because I always liked his pitching repotoire. He wasn't always effective, but I still remember Jason Varitek years ago saying that he had the "best stuff on the team." So, give him a minor league deal?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Manny Delcarmen redux?

Wow, he went down fast...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

Not just Varitek, but he was a big favorite of Peter Gammons.

We'll have to rely on the front office and scouts to find out what, if anything he has left to build upon.  It's their call.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

As a rehab project, he may be worthwhile. High potential upside at little cost.

He had stuff at one pont - he can get it back.  I say yes to a minor league contract and a novena.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I vote yes as well. bring back MD!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

High potential upside at little cost.

Really?

His work ethic or his pitching IQ will never change.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

It's worth a shot.Minimal cost, good upside,good clubhouse guy and he may feel comfortable being back close to his home.I believe the The Red Sox philosophy is if they can get enough pitching projects to try at low costs,all they really need is 1 or 2 to work out and it's been a great investment overall.
       You can never have too much pitching.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

He had no movement on his fast ball, very hittable...has bad back...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Absolutely. Devastating change-up.
    Maybe Young can work with him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

With the state of the Sox, how much harm coud it be to sign MDC to a AAA contract?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You might think with all the money they are raking in, they could stop trying these low budget reclamation projects.

Every time you turn around, Theo is plucking some used up or old pitcher off the garbage heep.

I vote no...not that it matters.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

In Response to Re: Manny Delcarmen redux?:
    [QUOTE]You might think with all the money they are raking in, they could stop trying these low budget reclamation projects. Every time you turn around, Theo is plucking some used up or old pitcher off the garbage heep. I vote no...not that it matters.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Sounds a lot like what the Yankees just did over the winter in getting Garcia and Colon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In Response to Re: Manny Delcarmen redux?:
    [QUOTE]With the state of the Sox, how much harm coud it be to sign MDC to a AAA contract?
    Posted by boboinfla[/QUOTE]

that's what I'm thinking. get him back to familiar surroundings, a new pitching coach.....and with some different eyes looking at him who knows what can happen...........as for bartolo, why can't we get guys like that......oh, wait.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Don't listen to Jason Varitek.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

MDC's era was over 5 in AAA, not in Colorado. Not sure he has much left. But hey, if MDC is willing to park himself in Pawtucket and show what he can do, seems harmless.
    Thinking out loud if some of Mannys issues were relief pitch problems...bad back, loss of control, loss of velocity....if he is healthy, and still has a 95 MPH fastball, why not use the rest of this year with him in the lower levels trying to convert to a starting pitcher? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

MDC's problem was lack of confidence. He certanly has good stuff but was mis-used by Francona and Farrell. Management lost faith to use him in tight situations and I believe it led to his demise and eventual trade.
    Francona is notorious for trusting only a few guys to pitch when the game's on the line.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

5.00+ ERA in AAA ball?

I don't think....make that, I'm pretty much certain...he wouldn't be able to compete in the AL East. MDC fell like a stone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Varitek's endorsement is the kiss of death.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-Ted. Show Babe-Ted's posts

I agree wholehardily with Alibi Ike. I blame it all on Francona and Farrell. Bring back Bob Tewksbury who was the team psychologist a few years back.

How does a World Series champion maintain its edge?

If you're the Red Sox, you hire a sports psychology coach.

Bob Tewksbury, the former big-league pitcher who between gigs on NESN and some consulting work for the Sox completed his master's degree in psychology at Boston University, has been appointed to the new position.

Tewksbury, who is giving up his work as an analyst at NESN, will not set up a couch in the clubhouse. His efforts, at least as his job is currently conceived, will be on the minor league level, from Triple A all the way down to rookie ball.

"Tom Caron ran me out of NESN," Tewksbury said with a laugh last week, referring to the studio host with whom he appeared regularly the last two years. "He said one too many things about my hair."

It's an audacious move by the Sox, though not precedent-setting. Sports psychologist and author Harvey Dorfman, for example, did work for a number of teams, including the A's and Marlins, before being hired by agent Scott Boras to counsel his clients. Braves pitcher John Smoltz gave considerable credit for his success to another sports psychologist, Jack Llewellyn, with whom he worked in Atlanta.

Sections
Shortcuts