March 28, 2013--reasons for optimism

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

March 28, 2013--reasons for optimism

It sure ain't the hitting, yet, because the Sox team OPS in ST is barely above .700 with the fewest dingers in MLB.

But the team ERA is still the best/lowest in MLB in ST, and all five starters have had good springs and the bullpen looks to be OK. 

If Bradley, Ellsbury, and Victorino start in the OF, the Sox will have a pretty good defense out there to back up the pitchers.  Middlebrooks, Iglesias, and Pedroia are about as good as any one team can have for 3B, SS, and 2B, and Abraham says Napoli is better at 1B than we think.  Salty behind the plate, granted, not so great.  But overall, not too shabby.

Even before Ortiz and Drew return, the Sox could have 7 or 8 .800 OPS hitters in the lineup--Bradley, Ellsbury, Gomes, Middlebrooks, Pedroia, Napoli, and Saltalamacchia, plus an outside chance (he's done it before) with Victorino, who so far hasn't hit a lick.  Like everyone else, I'd rather keep Iglesias at SS even if his OPS is in the .600 range.  No question Ortiz will DH when he returns, which I think will make Gomes expendable because he plays LF like a DH. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: March 28, 2013--reasons for optimism

In response to M1A2's comment:

It sure ain't the hitting, yet, because the Sox team OPS in ST is barely above .700 with the fewest dingers in MLB.

But the team ERA is still the best/lowest in MLB in ST, and all five starters have had good springs and the bullpen looks to be OK. 

If Bradley, Ellsbury, and Victorino start in the OF, the Sox will have a pretty good defense out there to back up the pitchers.  Middlebrooks, Iglesias, and Pedroia are about as good as any one team can have for 3B, SS, and 2B, and Abraham says Napoli is better at 1B than we think.  Salty behind the plate, granted, not so great.  But overall, not too shabby.

Even before Ortiz and Drew return, the Sox could have 7 or 8 .800 OPS hitters in the lineup--Bradley, Ellsbury, Gomes, Middlebrooks, Pedroia, Napoli, and Saltalamacchia, plus an outside chance (he's done it before) with Victorino, who so far hasn't hit a lick.  Like everyone else, I'd rather keep Iglesias at SS even if his OPS is in the .600 range.  No question Ortiz will DH when he returns, which I think will make Gomes expendable because he plays LF like a DH. 

Id be comfortable with an OPS between .650-.700 for Iggy. basically about a 310 OBP and a 350 SLG

Unless JBJ is tearing it up, he will be send back down when Papi gets back (If he breaks camp with the team). If not, its going to be interesting to see what they do. Like they always say, things tend to work themselves out in this game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I figure if 5 things happen the Red Sox will be in very strong contention all year. What are those 5 things you ask? OK here goes:

1 & 2

Lester and Buchholz get back to being themselves, that is thrust themselves back into Cy Young award talks.

Big Papi coomes back sooner rather than later looking like, well, Big Papi

Mike Napoli has a typical Mike Napoli year at the plate

Jackie Bradley Jr. makes a strong run at rookie of the year

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who posted an OPS of .742 last year, has a career OPS of .720. Shane Victorino has a career OPS of .770, although last season he slumped to .667.

I agree that Red Sox fans have some reasons to be optimistic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who posted an OPS of .742 last year, has a career OPS of .720. Shane Victorino has a career OPS of .770, although last season he slumped to .667.

Hill55,

Absolutely right.  But Cafardo or someone says he thinks Saltalamacchia is ready for a breakout year and has been hitting well in ST.  I honestly think he can get over .800 this year.  Victorino has in fact been close to or over .800 at least three seasons worth, but I believe he is a long shot, and I don't understand why the Sox spent so much money on him. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Good call Carnie

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]It sure ain't the hitting, yet, because the Sox team OPS in ST is barely above .700 with the fewest dingers in MLB.

[/QUOTE]

Ignoring the .800 OPS issue, the RS have 11 players with 200 PAs and an OPS+ > 100.  That is a really deep lineup.

Sections
Shortcuts