Mariano Rivera Against the Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Mariano Rivera Against the Sox

With all due respect for him and what he has done over the years (and he's one of very few Yankees I admire, and happen to like), I think we just saw what happens when the 2011 Mariano pitches with all eyes on the umpire's calls. The first game calls were so outrageous (Lowrie really got scr****), that, I believe, the umpire in this game couldn't give Rivera all the outside pitches he usually gets as called strikes simply because he's "Mariano Rivera". Instead he walks batters, one on four pitches, and gives up hits when he has to throw in the strike zone. No one is ever going to change my mind on that since I've been saying it since last season, and just said it recently again. Whenever he needs a strike, he just throws outside and gets the call.

While I do admire him, he happens to play against my team on their #1 rival's team. It does matter to the Sox, and their fans, whether you like him or not, that he still gets calls that aren't even close to the plate -- or at least it should.

No one has said anything about it, and no one ever does. They are in such awe of him, that no one can say anything negative about the great Mariano. Well, guess what? Mariano doesn't pitch for your team, and comes in a closer role to shut your team down. If RSN can't get past the awe, and the belief that no one can ever say anthing about him, that's who you may face determining your team's season. If it were me, and this was really my team that I owned, I would file a complaint until it stopped. At least make someone aware that you are aware, and shine a light on it instead of all the silence about it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox

UR gonna take some grief on this on, Kim.
    But, like Schilling, MO will often get the benefit of the doubt if their ability warrants it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox:
    [QUOTE]UR gonna take some grief on this on, Kim . But, like Schilling, MO will often get the benefit of the doubt if their ability warrants it.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I realize that, Harness. But the truth is the truth. I made a post just recently that when he needs a strike he just has to throw outside to get the call. I even said if anyone didn't believe me, they can watch a Yankee game in the 9th inning. I can't find the post because I don't remember what thread it was in, but it was maybe a week or so ago before THAT 9th inning. And if you look at the balls thrown to Lowry, it can't even be put in the "benefit of the doubt" category.

Someone is going to have to break the "Mariano" spell over everyone, and realize he's killing rallies, he's shutting the game down, but it isn't always legit. And he isn't the same guy he was years ago either even though they seem to want to make sure the legend continues. The way they call his games, he can pitch until he's 50 years old.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

did she just say

RSN doesn't complain enough about the umpires

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

Its post like this that take away from a great series. File a complaint? C'mon do you really expect people to take this post seriously. It was a strike, AGON should not have been standing there watching the pitch do by.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Just for the record, this is not an explanation of the called third strike from last night:

The CF TV camera is placed somewhat slightly to the LF side and when viewing pitches from this camera, you are not seeing a fair representation of what happens when the ball crosses home plate, especially those thrown to the LF side of home plate. So unless they show a replay from an above head camera, one cannot make a true judgement on balls and strikes.

As for Mo - if he gets an extra inch off the sides of the plate, it is no more than what all the great pitchers in baseball get.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

All I will say is that Mo's strikeout on Lowrie in Tuesday's game was outrageous.  The last two strikes had to be at least 6 inches off the plate.  It's clearly verified by MLB Gameday.  To get two pitches in a row like that called strikes does raise some eyebrows.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I agree that balls and strikes calls are wildly inconsistent but that pitch to A Gon last night looked pretty good to me.  It was nasty but too close to take.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Gameday shows the strike three on Gonzo as a ball but just off the plate in the borderline zone.  That pitch gets called a a strike frequently so I don't think there's much to argue about.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Lowrie was ripped off, no doubt about it, and great players do get a slight advantage, see Ted Williams. Otherwise, more vitriolic fiction from the queen of it; calls go both ways, and RS fans rarely point out when they get a break;  RS are 11-4 vs the Yankees, including some Mariano blown saves (since he's the worst against the RS; perhaps this thread title should be Mariano and the Strike Zone); in every one of those 4 losses, many posters here complained wildly about the umps; it's as predictable as the sun rising in the AM, and rather pathetic too, and wouldn't change even if Larry Lucchino were the ump.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]overall across the series, the umping has been pretty rough, but it seems every invoking of the umps strangely coincides with a Sox loss....
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

This is really not that strange, unless you're tongue in cheek. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Both teams fan base complains about the umpiring..that is nothing new..Lowrie's called strike 2 and 3 were terrible..Gonzos pitch was borderline and Mo will get that call all day. Gonzo should have been protecting the plate..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Both teams fan base complains about the umpiring..that is nothing new..Lowrie's called strike 2 and 3 were terrible..Gonzos pitch was borderline and Mo will get that call all day. Gonzo should have been protecting the plate..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyboy9. Show johnnyboy9's posts

[QUOTE]overall across the series, the umping has been pretty rough, but it seems every invoking of the umps strangely coincides with a Sox loss....
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]
    i was thinking almost the same thing. the red sox might lose because they complain and the umpires respond by calling games against them, but the absolute truth is that the boston team never loses a game unless the umpires make calls against them. i am glad kim brought this outrageous circumstance regarding mariano to light for all of us. filing a complaint with MLB is called for.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]Both teams fan base complains about the umpiring..that is nothing new..Lowrie's called strike 2 and 3 were terrible..Gonzos pitch was borderline and Mo will get that call all day. Gonzo should have been protecting the plate..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

you got that right.
    if a-gon continues to K with the bases loaded, especially looking at 3rd strikes, we can start calling him JD GONZO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Its post like this that take away from a great series. File a complaint? C'mon do you really expect people to take this post seriously. It was a strike, AGON should not have been standing there watching the pitch do by.
    Posted by majormathew[/QUOTE]

It was borderline low and outside, and he should not have been wrung up on that pitch, in that situation, with the game on the line. 
    Yes, he swung at some awful pitches, and should have been protecting the plate, but the truth is, the ball/strike calls have been so inconsistent this year, it's hard for hitters to adjust.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlgvt48. Show mlgvt48's posts

It's time to eliminate umpires making ball and strike calls. All by computer and no payments to them anymore. Keep umpires for calling outs on bases but allow challenges. Put the umpires crew chief in a booth for the whole game and give him access to all camera angles. He could overturn a call in a minute or less with this system. Player mistakes are part of the game but umpiring mistakes are not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---*TheBabe. Show ---*TheBabe's posts

[QUOTE]It's time to eliminate umpires making ball and strike calls. All by computer and no payments to them anymore. Keep umpires for calling outs on bases but allow challenges. Put the umpires crew chief in a booth for the whole game and give him access to all camera angles. He could overturn a call in a minute or less with this system. Player mistakes are part of the game but umpiring mistakes are not.

Posted by mlgvt48[/QUOTE]

But, unfortunately, whining by the red flops nation will always be part of the game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kirbyrob. Show kirbyrob's posts

The pitcher you should "File a complaint" about is actually Bard.

But go back to whining about Big, Bad Cervelli. Yankee Fans still getting a kick outta that!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

The umpires add the human factor to making calls. After watching this series it is evident that they did make some very questionable calls, but the calls were bad for both teams. Until MLB comes up with a better solution we will see this time and time again. It is ridiculous to blame this loss on the umps.  We had other opportunities to score during the game and came up empty handed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

With all due respect, Mariano is the greatest relief pitcher in the history of baseball and you get those calls over the years when you command that type of respect. That's baseball, honey. Sorry, and I've been saying for years now, I don't want to face Rivera, I don't like when he is coming into a game, and for the most part he shuts down the Sox enough to earn saves v. them. He doesn't always throw great, and he gives up baserunners in most outings v. Sox, but he is a premium reliever and he gets the job done. Why fans want Rivera just because of '04 is beyond me. Why ever harrass this guy or taunt him, or get excited when he comes in. It's pointless.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]With all due respect, Mariano is the greatest relief pitcher in the history of baseball and you get those calls over the years when you command that type of respect. That's baseball, honey. Sorry, and I've been saying for years now, I don't want to face Rivera, I don't like when he is coming into a game, and for the most part he shuts down the Sox enough to earn saves v. them. He doesn't always throw great, and he gives up baserunners in most outings v. Sox, but he is a premium reliever and he gets the job done. Why fans want Rivera just because of '04 is beyond me. Why ever harrass this guy or taunt him, or get excited when he comes in. It's pointless.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

You tell her, honey. A little misogyny maybe?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

honey, honey....da-dah-da-dah-da-da...sugar, sugar....