Mariano Rivera Against the Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox

In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : But, unfortunately, whining by the red flops nation will always be part of the game.
    Posted by ---*TheBabe[/QUOTE]

As will whining by Yankees fans, such as the ones who suggest that Ellsbury's increase in HR's must have something to do with PED's.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

he may not always be flawless(moreso lately) but i still appreciate what that means( at least 9 times out of 10)....the Yanks are ahead...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Honestly, I am a huge Gonzo fan, but Mo made the perfect pitch last night.  It was close enough to be a strike, it was Gonzo's decision not to swing ... and he would have missed it anyway.   Nice comeback by Rivera after loading the bases.

If anybody got calls in the series it was CC ... balls off the plate consistsently called strikes.  But he is CC ... and has earned that.

I just wish the umps would RESPECT Lester that way.  Forget about the rivalry, nobody gets squeezed as much as he does.   Guess John needs to build up his reputation a bit more.  

But who cares?  The Sox are virtually a game up in the loss column because of the tie breaker.  Don't forget that.  And we get Youk back today.   Yankees played a good game, Sox had chances and didn't come through.  Onward towards October.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I notice a fundamental change in Rivera's pitching. He would always come inside with the cutter and just saw off the bat of left handed hitters. Now , he tries to sneak it backdoor over the outside corner. And , being Rivera , he is getting the benefit of the doubt on close pitches. It is up to the hitters to adjust to this. While it is true that the Sox have had some measure of success against him , seeing Rivera in the game means that you are trailing in the ninth. Never a good situation to be in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

[QUOTE]Honestly, I am a huge Gonzo fan, but Mo made the perfect pitch last night.  It was close enough to be a strike, it was Gonzo's decision not to swing ... and he would have missed it anyway.   Nice comeback by Rivera after loading the bases. If anybody got calls in the series it was CC ... balls off the plate consistsently called strikes.  But he is CC ... and has earned that. I just wish the umps would RESPECT Lester that way.  Forget about the rivalry, nobody gets squeezed as much as he does.   Guess John needs to build up his reputation a bit more.   But who cares?  The Sox are virtually a game up in the loss column because of the tie breaker.  Don't forget that.  And we get Youk back today.   Yankees played a good game, Sox had chances and didn't come through.  Onward towards October.
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]
    CC was getting squeezed the other night, Lackey got some calls that CC didn't

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rizzuto1965. Show Rizzuto1965's posts

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_09_01_nyamlb_bosmlb_1&mode=gameday

To see the pitch as recorded by Gameday, go to the link and click on the classic view (rather than the mini - the classic view shows the strikezone grid and in a larger frame).  It shows the pitch was on the corner of the plate, a perfect strike.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rizzuto1965. Show Rizzuto1965's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rizzuto1965. Show Rizzuto1965's posts

In the post above is the pitch chart from PitchFX, which also illustrates that the pitch was clearly a strike.

The other pitches to Gonzalez were cutters inside, which were fouled off (two), swung on and missed (one), and taken as a ball (one).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyboy9. Show johnnyboy9's posts

jeter was called out on a pitch that was 6 inches off the ground. the replay showed the ball missed the box. remi said it was good enough to call a strike. then all of boston crys when your hitter gets called out on a better pitch. always the crybabies. always the whiners. no matter how much success your team has. and the players are the same. pouting over every called strike. i love it.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]All I will say is that Mo's strikeout on Lowrie in Tuesday's game was outrageous.  The last two strikes had to be at least 6 inches off the plate.  It's clearly verified by MLB Gameday.  To get two pitches in a row like that called strikes does raise some eyebrows.   
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Thank you for having the ***** to say that, Halifax. Not many do. I'm impressed. Oh, and the word I meant was "nerve", just so that there's no misunderstanding. :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]It's time to eliminate umpires making ball and strike calls. All by computer and no payments to them anymore. Keep umpires for calling outs on bases but allow challenges. Put the umpires crew chief in a booth for the whole game and give him access to all camera angles. He could overturn a call in a minute or less with this system. Player mistakes are part of the game but umpiring mistakes are not.
    Posted by mlgvt48[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyintheboogiedown. Show mikeyintheboogiedown's posts

[QUOTE]It's time to eliminate umpires making ball and strike calls. All by computer and no payments to them anymore. Keep umpires for calling outs on bases but allow challenges. Put the umpires crew chief in a booth for the whole game and give him access to all camera angles. He could overturn a call in a minute or less with this system. Player mistakes are part of the game but umpiring mistakes are not.
    Posted by mlgvt48[/QUOTE]

Umpiring mistakes have been part of the game since day 1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]With all due respect, Mariano is the greatest relief pitcher in the history of baseball and you get those calls over the years when you command that type of respect. That's baseball, honey. Sorry, and I've been saying for years now, I don't want to face Rivera, I don't like when he is coming into a game, and for the most part he shuts down the Sox enough to earn saves v. them. He doesn't always throw great, and he gives up baserunners in most outings v. Sox, but he is a premium reliever and he gets the job done. Why fans want Rivera just because of '04 is beyond me. Why ever harrass this guy or taunt him, or get excited when he comes in. It's pointless.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

No one should be able to "earn" saves against anyone. A strike is a strike, a ball is a ball -- for everyone. If you can't keep up, you shoudn't be in there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cain-Reaction. Show Cain-Reaction's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : No one should be able to "earn" saves against anyone. A strike is a strike, a ball is a ball -- for everyone. If you can't keep up, you shoudn't be in there.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

THis makes sense its as if Mariano is allowed to play the game by different rules

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : You tell her, honey. A little misogyny maybe?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your post, but honey really doesn't bother me. I tend to use "honey" and "sweetie" when talking to people even in a store. So, I really can't say anything about it since I don't mean it in an offensive or demeaning way myself. But I do think it was nice of you to mention.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cain-Reaction. Show Cain-Reaction's posts

Its true though, Paps never gets calls off the plate and Rivera has made a living out there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In the post above is the pitch chart from PitchFX, which also illustrates that the pitch was clearly a strike. The other pitches to Gonzalez were cutters inside, which were fouled off (two), swung on and missed (one), and taken as a ball (one).
    Posted by Rizzuto1965[/QUOTE]

First of all, Zac, Mgr. Matt, JesseyE, Siesta, Prknsdnld, Yazzer and you all turned this into the "AGON PITCH" thread. If you read my posts, they don't even mention Agon. I guess that is much easier to explain for Yankee fans. How about putting up the pitch chart for Lowrie's at bat against Rivera?  How about any one of the posters mentioned above explaining the Lowrie at bat against Rivera?  Let's see who shows up now. LMAO

All bravado and no ***** (that would be "nerve" in case you're wondering). lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cain-Reaction. Show Cain-Reaction's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : First of all, Zac, Mgr. Matt, JesseyE, Siesta, Prknsdnld, Yazzer and you all turned this into the "AGON PITCH" thread. If you read my posts, they don't even mention Agon. I guess that is much easier to explain for Yankee fans. How about putting up the pitch chart for Lowrie's at bat against Rivera?  How about any one of the posters mentioned above explaining the Lowrie at bat against Rivera?  Let's see who shows up now. LMAO All bravado and no ***** (that would be "nerve" in case you're wondering). lol

Thats right....because Paps has never gotten a call off of the plate!! He earns his saves!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : THis makes sense its as if Mariano is allowed to play the game by different rules
    Posted by Cain-Reaction[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Because he apparently has "earned" the right to pitch however he wants and still get the calls. Ludicrous.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cain-Reaction. Show Cain-Reaction's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : Exactly. Because he apparently has "earned" the right to pitch however he wants and still get the calls. Ludicrous.

Mariano is the biggest hype of all time, its as if MLB is just riding his coattails for ratings and the legacy/story factor....upsetting for the purity of the game.  I'm proud to have a closer that throws real strikes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]I notice a fundamental change in Rivera's pitching. He would always come inside with the cutter and just saw off the bat of left handed hitters. Now , he tries to sneak it backdoor over the outside corner. And , being Rivera , he is getting the benefit of the doubt on close pitches. It is up to the hitters to adjust to this. While it is true that the Sox have had some measure of success against him , seeing Rivera in the game means that you are trailing in the ninth. Never a good situation to be in.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

But if you look at Lowrie's at bat, the pitches are not even close. He's getting the calls regardless of where they appear to be, and he's doing it in the 9th inning and shutting teams down with this advantage. It's nonsense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : I appreciate your post, but honey really doesn't bother me. I tend to use "honey" and "sweetie" when talking to people even in a store. So, I really can't say anything about it since I don't mean it in an offensive or demeaning way myself. But I do think it was nice of you to mention.

Well Kim, this isn't the first time I've seen some condescention agaisnt the female contributers here, and I don;t like it one bit!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good game.  Rivera was a little off last night, but not when it counted.  To be honest, I thought he made AGon look foolish.   The final strike was unquestionably the right call.  AGon does strike out a fair amount, so it was hardly a surprise.  Plus AGon didn't do much--zero rbi's, for example--in this three game series against the Yankees.  Actually, I think that final K was fitting.   

I did not watch the first game and so can't comment on balls and strikes in that one.  But in general I am in favor of large strike zones for everyone, not just Rivera. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cain-Reaction. Show Cain-Reaction's posts

I've seen Mariano get a strike called on a pitchout

Sections
Shortcuts