Mariano Rivera Against the Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox

In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : Well Kim, this isn't the first time I've seen some condescention agaisnt the female contributers here, and I don;t like it one bit!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Honey is a lot different than other things I've been called on the board. There's really no mistaking those posts. :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]I've seen Mariano get a strike called on a pitchout
    Posted by Cain-Reaction[/QUOTE]

LOL. Is that really you Chain, or someone else?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : I appreciate your post, but honey really doesn't bother me. I tend to use "honey" and "sweetie" when talking to people even in a store. So, I really can't say anything about it since I don't mean it in an offensive or demeaning way myself. But I do think it was nice of you to mention.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]hi honey...Tongue out

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : As will whining by Yankees fans, such as the ones who suggest that Ellsbury's increase in HR's must have something to do with PED's.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

No way Ells is on PED's. On the other hand, there have been threads here that suggest that Granderson is on PED's and that is nonsense also. These are 2 players that are having great seasons. It is possible to have talent and not be cheating.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cain-Reaction. Show Cain-Reaction's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : LOL. Is that really you Chain, or someone else?
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

I'm here to bring fiscally conservative, common sense business principles to the pennant race.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]I've seen Mariano get a strike called on a pitchout
    Posted by Cain-Reaction[/QUOTE]LOL...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : As will whining by Yankees fans, such as the ones who suggest that Ellsbury's increase in HR's must have something to do with PED's.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I have never heard this; and if that's the case, they're wrong IMO; just like RS fans are with questions about Granderson.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : Mariano is the biggest hype of all time, its as if MLB is just riding his coattails for ratings and the legacy/story factor....upsetting for the purity of the game.  I'm proud to have a closer that throws real strikes.

Smiley Alias alert

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : But if you look at Lowrie's at bat, the pitches are not even close. He's getting the calls regardless of where they appear to be, and he's doing it in the 9th inning and shutting teams down with this advantage. It's nonsense.

Then how did he walk 2 guys in the 9th inning?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : First of all, Zac, Mgr. Matt, JesseyE, Siesta, Prknsdnld, Yazzer and you all turned this into the "AGON PITCH" thread. If you read my posts, they don't even mention Agon. I guess that is much easier to explain for Yankee fans. How about putting up the pitch chart for Lowrie's at bat against Rivera?  How about any one of the posters mentioned above explaining the Lowrie at bat against Rivera?  Let's see who shows up now. LMAO All bravado and no ***** (that would be "nerve" in case you're wondering). lol

Jete, Me, and I believe 1 or 2 other Yankee fans admiited the Lowrie calls were bogus; more BS

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

The last pitch was a strike on AGon, but the last two on Lowrie were way out.

www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/numlocation.php-pitchSel=121250&game=gid_2011_08_30_nyamlb_bosmlb_1&batterX=81&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3.gif">

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/numlocation.php-pitchSel=121250&game=gid_2011_09_01_nyamlb_bosmlb_1&batterX=83&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3.gif

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : hi honey...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

LOL, Jete. In case anyone wants to know what funny is, that's funny. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/numlocation.php-pitchSel=121250&game=gid_2011_09_01_nyamlb_bosmlb_1&batterX=83&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3.gif " alt="" /> The last pitch was a strike. http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/numlocation.php-pitchSel=121250&game=gid_2011_09_01_nyamlb_bosmlb_1&batterX=83&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3.gif
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

If this is true, then that was a great pitch. However, your link is only a 2 dimensional tool; wouldn't a 3 dimensional capability to assess the pitch be better? Such as GameDay?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : I'm here to bring fiscally conservative, common sense business principles to the pennant race.

OK. Whatever that means. I'm not sure you're the original chain, though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : I'm here to bring fiscally conservative, common sense business principles to the pennant race.

Run Herman, RUN!   You gotta love this guy   :)

As for the game, visa vi the K zone for Rivera....   I must reluctantly admit........
    the guy pitched a brilliant AB against A-Gon!  Cutter in, cutter in, cutter in, cutter in, cutter in, cutter in, ..........  back door cutter RIGHT ON the outside bottom of the K zone corner!  OUCH!  Froze him like a deer in the headlights!  It definitely picked up the corner!   I hate to admit it, but it did!  Gotta give the man props!  Tough for a RH pitcher to make A-Gon look silly!

As for getting the calls, or not getting the calls????   Paps should take a lesson from Rivera!  No matter what the call, it seems Rivera tends to smile rather than look pi$$ed off!  ???   Just my take!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In the post above is the pitch chart from PitchFX, which also illustrates that the pitch was clearly a strike. The other pitches to Gonzalez were cutters inside, which were fouled off (two), swung on and missed (one), and taken as a ball (one).
    Posted by Rizzuto1965[/QUOTE]

I don't have a problem with the ump's call on the last pitch to Gonzalez...it was a two seamer on the black, Frankly it was a terible at bat by Gonzalez...no two ways about it. I just wish he'd have also called the fastball on the black to Martin and or the one that Aceves threw to the kid, we might still be playing.

End of the day is it appeared both teams struggled with his strike zone and Kaat on MLB chuckled a few times too...He was inconsistent border line brutal all night...same pitch same location in one at bats a strike in the next a ball. 380 pitches later he took the bat out of Gonzalez hand on a pitch that he hadn't called a strike all night?

I don't know if it was case of a bad night or a bad series but either the plate moved or the umpires in this series decided that 4 hour games weren't long enough. They consisntently didn't give the low strike and were very inconsistent on the outer half. Both ways...

To me the differnce in this series came down to OF defense, no disrespect intended but Gardner and Granderson both ran down some balls that looked like they would find grass and took about 4 or 5 runs off the board for the Sox in close games...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

guys, FWIW, not sure if it was indeed off the plate, but here's what AG thought...Adrian Gonzalez on ninth-inning strikeout: ‘I should still be hitting’Posted by Scott Lauber at 1:38 am

More than 10 minutes later, Adrian Gonzalez was still angry.

“I have one thing to say,” Gonzalez said, sitting at his locker Thursday night. “That pitch was down. I should still be hitting. It’s a 2-2 count.”

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]guys, FWIW, not sure if it was indeed off the plate, but here's what AG thought... Adrian Gonzalez on ninth-inning strikeout: ‘I should still be hitting’ Posted by Scott Lauber at 1:38 am More than 10 minutes later, Adrian Gonzalez was still angry. “I have one thing to say,” Gonzalez said, sitting at his locker Thursday night. “ That pitch was down . I should still be hitting. It’s a 2-2 count.”

Any batter that just struck out to end the game would say the exact same thing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]guys, FWIW, not sure if it was indeed off the plate, but here's what AG thought... Adrian Gonzalez on ninth-inning strikeout: ‘I should still be hitting’ Posted by Scott Lauber at 1:38 am More than 10 minutes later, Adrian Gonzalez was still angry. “I have one thing to say,” Gonzalez said, sitting at his locker Thursday night. “ That pitch was down . I should still be hitting. It’s a 2-2 count.”

Thanks Jete!  I hate to disagree w/ A-Gon, but I thought it hit the corner.  It was an absolutely brilliant pitch!  Actually a pitch he often CRUSHES against RH pitchers.  The set up was brilliantly conceived though..... It simply froze him!  Gotta give it to Rivera on that one!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Mariano Rivera Against the Sox:
    [QUOTE]With all due respect for him and what he has done over the years (and he's one of very few Yankees I admire, and happen to like), I think we just saw what happens when the 2011 Mariano pitches with all eyes on the umpire's calls. The first game calls were so outrageous (Lowrie really got scr****), that, I believe, the umpire in this game couldn't give Rivera all the outside pitches he usually gets as called strikes simply because he's "Mariano Rivera". Instead he walks batters, one on four pitches, and gives up hits when he has to throw in the strike zone. No one is ever going to change my mind on that since I've been saying it since last season, and just said it recently again. Whenever he needs a strike, he just throws outside and gets the call. While I do admire him, he happens to play against my team on their #1 rival's team. It does matter to the Sox, and their fans, whether you like him or not, that he still gets calls that aren't even close to the plate -- or at least it should. No one has said anything about it, and no one ever does. They are in such awe of him, that no one can say anything negative about the great Mariano. Well, guess what? Mariano doesn't pitch for your team, and comes in a closer role to shut your team down. If RSN can't get past the awe, and the belief that no one can ever say anthing about him, that's who you may face determining your team's season. If it were me, and this was really my team that I owned, I would file a complaint until it stopped. At least make someone aware that you are aware, and shine a light on it instead of all the silence about it.

In general, I totally agree with the opening post......  It's BS, but it's reality!  We, the RS, need to adjust on an AB case.  Every player needs to know that you simply can't watch that last close pitch!  In A-Gon's case, he simply got frozen on a great back door cutter, after being set up for the inside cutter.  Lowrie???  You're absolutely right!  :(

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : Thanks Jete!  I hate to disagree w/ A-Gon, but I thought it hit the corner.  It was an absolutely brilliant pitch!  Actually a pitch he often CRUSHES against RH pitchers.  The set up was brilliantly conceived though..... It simply froze him!  Gotta give it to Rivera on that one!
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Rivera is a marvel...he throws basically the same pitch over and over but he moves it around and he can hit such precise targets with it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : In general, I totally agree with the opening post......  It's BS, but it's reality!  We, the RS, need to adjust on an AB case.  Every player needs to know that you simply can't watch that last close pitch!  In A-Gon's case, he simply got frozen on a great back door cutter, after being set up for the inside cutter.  Lowrie???  You're absolutely right!  :(
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

In Rivera's case, you can't watch any pitch. They should let you bat with a tennis racket or something -- maybe a fishing net.

You may find this hard to believe, but I never mentioned Agon or his at bat. No one can explain the Lowrie at bat, so they just posted as if I was talking about Adrian. It's pretty funny really when you think about it. I guess I was right. :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

i know that last pitch on a-gon was a strike because both ken simpleton and al
    lightyear said it was.
    unfortunately, except for rare situations, where i live the yes network televises the games between boston and new york. thus, i'm stuck with the 3 stooges.
    the 2 stooges mentioned above and the other stooge, michael gay.

most times i turn off the volume, but last night i wanted to torture myself and listen to mike(the crybaby), ken (the idiot, who never played for the yank-ems so why is he doing their games?) and al(the bore).

most of you fans don't know how lucky you are to have don and jerry.
    actually, between ken and al, it's like having 2 ken harrelsons in the booth.
    pathetic!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : In Rivera's case, you can't watch any pitch. They should let you bat with a tennis racket or something -- maybe a fishing net. You may find this hard to believe, but I never mentioned Agon or his at bat. No one can explain the Lowrie at bat, so they just posted as if I was talking about Adrian. It's pretty funny really when you think about it. I guess I was right. :)

Not true, of course. But I shouldn't expect different.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera Against the Sox : And you were saying about Lowrie's at bat "Red Sox fan"...or should I just call you "Babe" for short?

ok kimster,

when lowrie starts hitting as good as rivera pitches, then lowrie will get the close calls.
    i don't believe that will ever happen. lowrie has a long, slow swing.