Mariano Rivera--Seattle performance

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Mariano Rivera--Seattle performance

For some reason, I watched the last couple of innings of the Yankees game in Seattle. Mariano comes on, laast of the 9th, Yankees leading 2-1. 92 mph fastball hammered into left for a single. Seconf batter rips a 92mph fastball one hop to 1st naseman (holding the runner). Almost knocks him into RF, but is a DP, instead. 2 outs nobody on; next batter walks on 4 pitches. Next guy lines a basehit into LF. Finally, the next guy hits at a low ball, and pops out to left fielder.

Save for Rivera who had NOTHING. No movement on his 92 mph fast ball. No extra oomph. Mariano may not last the year with that kind of performance. Not to worry Red Sox fans!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Re: Mariano Rivera--Seattle performance

Excellent observation. I've watched him pitch consistently for over 10 years as at times I'm more of Yanks hater than Sox fan. That being said, after watching Mo his fist three outings of the year I predicted his era would end over 3. He lives aroun 88-90mph and NO MOVEMENT. It's gone. He then has something like 20 scoreless outings. I felt foolish early on but I'm going to stick with my prediction.

You may say he earned it but the strikezone he is given is extended at least 3 inches in every direction. I always wondered what would happen if he faced Jeter who has the smallest strike zone in history-- the umps head would explode.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ahhhhhhhh when will this guy sukkkkkkkk?!?!?

Gotta give it up to him though.  Respect given where it is due 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

For those of you who really watch baseball games in there intirity you must realize that Mo hasn't had the it factor for sometime now. He survives because the umps grant him two inches on both sides of the plate. Also it's not just an occassional umpire it's all of them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Yeah a conspiracy amongst all the umps in baseball to give Mo the outside pitch.

Sure. He's got nothing.

43 years old again today he lets a few guys get on and then unflustered by the situation he calmly shuts them down.

43 years old and he leads all of baseball in saves even with that crappy offense the Yankees are sending out every game.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/sort/saves

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Wolfpack13's comment:

Excellent observation. I've watched him pitch consistently for over 10 years as at times I'm more of Yanks hater than Sox fan. That being said, after watching Mo his fist three outings of the year I predicted his era would end over 3. He lives aroun 88-90mph and NO MOVEMENT. It's gone. He then has something like 20 scoreless outings. I felt foolish early on but I'm going to stick with my prediction.

You may say he earned it but the strikezone he is given is extended at least 3 inches in every direction. I always wondered what would happen if he faced Jeter who has the smallest strike zone in history-- the umps head would explode.

Jeter has the smallest strike zone Mariano the largest, there is an unbiased opinion if there ever was one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Yeah a conspiracy amongst all the umps in baseball to give Mo the outside pitch.

Sure. He's got nothing.

43 years old again today he lets a few guys get on and then unflustered by the situation he calmly shuts them down.

43 years old and he leads all of baseball in saves even with that crappy offense the Yankees are sending out every game.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/sort/saves

You have to consider the source; he claims the Heat blowout tonight was due to the refs wanting to make sure there's no sweep; not that I want the Heat to win mind you,

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I didn't watch that game but  I have watched others.  It's clear he is slowing down, the guy is 43 after all!!!

He had a great run and is a stand up guy.  I think he is wise to hang up his cleats at the end of the season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

A neigbors a Yankee fan. Coming back from a run, I asked him if the Yankees won. He said barely, 2-1. "Riversa's just not the same" He didn't elaborate, and I didn't ask, but I guess the OP was what he was referring to. Then again, maybe I should consider the source

You may glory in a team triumphant......
    But you fall in love with a team in defeat

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

A neigbors a Yankee fan. Coming back from a run, I asked him if the Yankees won. He said barely, 2-1. "Riversa's just not the same" He didn't elaborate, and I didn't ask, but I guess the OP was what he was referring to. Then again, maybe I should consider the source

23 out of 24 save opportunities really su-ks. I'll settle for the reduced velocity. After all, in 2009, he had a rib injury at the end of the yr that prevented him from throwing harder than the high 80s; to wit, and regardless, he was the only PS reliever that yr to NOT blow a save, and he was over-used in that WS. At the time, after I saw him pitch compromised with that fantastic success, I though he could pitch till he was 45; who knew? Alas, he's hanging it up this yr, about a yr or two short of what I thought he could do. The only other guy at this age that I can recall doing this was Wilhelm.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

23 out of 24 save opportunities really su-ks. I'll settle for the reduced velocity. After all, in 2009, he had a rib injury at the end of the yr that prevented him from throwing harder than the high 80s; to wit, and regardless, he was the only PS reliever that yr to NOT blow a save, and he was over-used in that WS. At the time, after I saw him pitch compromised with that fantastic success, I though he could pitch till he was 45; who knew? Alas, he's hanging it up this yr, about a yr or two short of what I thought he could do. The only other guy at this age that I can recall doing this was Wilhelm.

I'll tell him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I'll tell him.

LOL, good answer. RS fans have been calling for his demise since 2007, when he had a terrible start. One day they'll be right, however, and he likely would have retired last yr if it wasn't for the injury.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

I'll tell him.

LOL, good answer. RS fans have been calling for his demise since 2007, when he had a terrible start. One day they'll be right, however, and he likely would have retired last yr if it wasn't for the injury.

[/QUOTE]

He's going out on top, smart move.  Of course sox fans want him to retire LOL!  It's a complement Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

If there is a pitcher in the history of this game that deserves strike calls on the corners, it's Mariano Rivera.  He won't be unanimous when he becomes eligible for the Hall because of the ignorance of a couple of "voters," but as much as I despise the Yankees, I hope he breaks the record for " most votes."  Class act...and then some...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Mo is a class act. That said, I hope he blows every save he ever attempts for the rest of his illustrious career. Meanwhile, the Bankees are just a game behind us in the lost column.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Mo is a class act. That said, I hope he blows every save he ever attempts for the rest of his illustrious career. Meanwhile, the Bankees are just a game behind us in the lost column.

Aren't we supposed to be chasing the Rays by now?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

If there is a pitcher in the history of this game that deserves strike calls on the corners, it's Mariano Rivera.  He won't be unanimous when he becomes eligible for the Hall because of the ignorance of a couple of "voters," but as much as I despise the Yankees, I hope he breaks the record for " most votes."  Class act...and then some...

+1000

Hes obviously not as sharp as he once was. But being the future HOF'er and best closer in the game he is, he finds ways to get the job done. The BEST can do that. With that said, I cant wait till he "hangs em' up"Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Yeah, Mariano must really be losing it. 23 saves in 26 games pitched with a 1.48era with a record of no wins and one loss. Gawd, his WHIP is up to an ungainly high of 1.10.

Wish the Red Sox had a BP full of washed up relievers like Mariano.

Just my extremely ignorant, conservatively liberal, all knowing, pervasive, practically meaningless and but extremely intellectual points of view.

Hetch   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Mo is 43, and he's not quite as lights-out as he was 10 years ago. File that under No-Duh in the cabinet. I've also slowed down a bit over the last  10 years.

Yet his ERA is 1.48, he's 23-for-24 in save opportunities, and he has 23 Ks to 4 BBs. Who  wouldn't be thrilled to have a closer that effective?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Aren't we supposed to be chasing the Rays by now?

[/QUOTE]

The jays were suppose to run away with the division or so the experts said.

Sections
Shortcuts