Mariano Rivera to return in 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Mariano Rivera to return in 2013

From Eric Boland of Newsday:

Cashman: "Mo said he'd like to come back." Informed the GM of his decision yesterday. Contract terms obviously will have to be worked out

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Mariano Rivera to return in 2013

15M one year. I knew He couldnt go out the way he did.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

The bad news is that Pitching Coach Larry Rothhschild said yesterday on MLB radio that he does not expect Michael Pineda to be back in 2013 because of the nature of the surgery and shoulder recovery.  If he does not return, and the Yanks do not go out and do some serious spending (Josh Hamilton, a #2 starter), they are guaranteed to be also rans again next year...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

And Soriano opted out to seek a longer term deal. The NYY will be active this winter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Even the Yankees must have a limit on what they're willing to spend. They're already close to maxed out. I think they're finally in trouble.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Like "BIG PAPI",  THOSE LEGGS DON'T LST FOREVER !!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The bad news is that Pitching Coach Larry Rothhschild said yesterday on MLB radio that he does not expect Michael Pineda to be back in 2013 because of the nature of the surgery and shoulder recovery.  If he does not return, and the Yanks do not go out and do some serious spending (Josh Hamilton, a #2 starter), they are guaranteed to be also rans again next year...

[/QUOTE]

So what's the bad news part?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I'm wondering if the Yankees view Mariano's decision to return as good news or not.  I'm sure they would like to have him back.  But do they want him back at $15 mil next year when they are trying to get below the luxury tax limit?   How effective will he be after being out almost an entire season?

I'm sure the Yankees will handle his contract situation respectfully, but I also think it puts them in a bit of a rough spot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to davidap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Even the Yankees must have a limit on what they're willing to spend. They're already close to maxed out. I think they're finally in trouble.

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees have more money than all G20 nations combined.  LOL

The Yankees front office are rich and smart people.  They will make moves to help improve the team for 2013. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees have more money than all G20 nations combined.  LOL

The Yankees front office are rich and smart people.  They will make moves to help improve the team for 2013. 

[/QUOTE]

That's right Ice Cream--the Yankees know what they're doing so we shouldn't worry about them.  They have good baseball people in their front office.  I have more doubts every day that we do.  OK, we now have  DH who may hit well if he an stay in one piece at age 37 and 38, maybe a tough proposition, but where is the first baseman, where are two outfielders and where are two solid starting pitchers we need.  That count is five and unless Cherington gets off his rear end and starts pursuing the players we need we may find them all gone by Christmas.  I think the FA market is going to move very quickly this winter since there aren't that many gems on the list.  Trades?  Sure, we could make them for what we need but trade Ellsbury?  That would deplete our outfield.  Trade for pitching?  That would start to deplete our prospects because no team is going to sell us a quality pitcher for a pitcher of spit.  It will cost us if we go that route.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hope this is true.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

15M one year. I knew He couldnt go out the way he did.

[/QUOTE]

Yankees have back Jeter and will bring back Rivera since they bring in fans and increase ratings. How they will be able to make sense of paying ARod, Jeter, and Rivera and stay under the luxury tax limit will be interesting. Something will have to give.

[/QUOTE]

Why? The Yankees pretend to care about the luxury tax, but that kind of money never really cares about the luxury tax.

Sections
Shortcuts