Mariano Rivera's mysterious medical condition

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Re: Mariano Rivera's mysterious medical condition

Utica Club sandwich;
      Over fed turkey with strips of Beacon, all toasted.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Syd. Show Syd's posts

In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera's mysterious medical condition:
    In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera's mysterious medical condition : Jess, he is the David Bowie of baseball.  The Thin Dominican Duke.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Great Compliment Spaceman, But Mariano is from Panama. I was stationed there from 1994 to 1998, and got a chance to visit his hometown. He donated a ton of his money to building schools, churches and clinics in the town. He is truly one of the most awesome pitcher to have ever play the game and a real class act. I wish him all the best with his health.

Go SOX!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Mariano will have his own monument one day at Yankee Stadium right next to Mantle, Ruth, & Gehrig. He is the greatest Yankee of his generation, not Jeter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Morning all...i guess this is one of those things a heatseeking cutter can't get you out of....Yankees' Mariano Rivera to have vocal cord surgery Friday, 'cautious and worried' about what biopsy may find

Mo battles throat problems for more than a month

Originally Published: Thursday, December 1 2011, 12:38 PM
    Updated: Thursday, December 1 2011, 10:01 PM

Mariano Rivera, who will undergo surgery on Friday, hosts a Thanksgiving feast last month at his 42 Clubhouse Grill restaurant in New Rochelle.
    Enid Alvarez/New York Daily News
    Mariano Rivera, who will undergo surgery on Friday, hosts a Thanksgiving feast last month at his 42 Clubhouse Grill restaurant in New Rochelle.

After suffering with a severe sore throat for more than a month and now facing surgery to remove polyps from his vocal cords, Mariano Rivera said Thursday he was “worried” about what the biopsy could reveal.

“We were cautious and worried about what kind it is, if it’s benign,” the Yankees closer said with a thick rasp. “I’m positive. We have to send it to the lab, but hopefully it’s a good thing. I talked to the doctor and she said it doesn’t look like anything serious, but we have to take it to the lab and find out.”

Rivera will have the procedure done on Friday morning at New York-Presbyterian Hospital. Despite Rivera’s obvious concern, people close to the pitcher have been told that the polyps are likely benign.

Rivera seemed at ease Thursday when he was honored with the Salvation Army’s Pinnacle of Achievement Award at a luncheon at the Marriott Marquis.

Rivera disclosed the throat problem on Nov. 22 at a Thanksgiving charity event, saying then that his condition had worsened considerably.

“Every time I talk, it gets worse and worse. I thought it was a little simple thing and I went to the doctor and she said they might have to do something,” Rivera had said. “When you’re talking about surgery, there’s no ‘simple.’”

Yankees GM Brian Cashman, citing the HIPAA privacy rule, has refused comment on the matter.

Throat polyps usually form on the vocal chords and often affect coaches, teachers, singers and actors, who are prone to straining their voice. Smoking can also be a cause, according to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Rivera does not smoke or chew tobacco.

The polyps appear as a “swelling or bump (like a nodule), a stalk-like growth, or a blister-like lesion,” according to the association. Symptoms include the feeling that there is a lump in the throat, hoarseness or breathiness, pain, vocal fatigue and a rough or scratchy voice.

Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers had the same surgery this past spring. He was declared cancer-free by team doctors following his biopsy.

Country music star Keith Urban canceled concerts in November because of throat polyps.

Rivera, who has a year remaining on his contract, has hinted that the upcoming campaign might be his last. After posting a 1.91 ERA, 44 saves and passing Trevor Hoffman to become the all-time saves leader, it would be difficult to imagine him retiring before the season, barring a major health setback.

“I don’t like surgery, period, but the sooner the better,” Rivera said on Thursday. “I have a week without speaking, then another week and I should be fine

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-closer-mariano-rivera-surgery-ailing-vocal-cords-friday-article-1.985292#ixzz1fO9Gc1K3

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera's mysterious medical condition : Great Compliment Spaceman, But Mariano is from Panama. I was stationed there from 1994 to 1998, and got a chance to visit his hometown. He donated a ton of his money to building schools, churches and clinics in the town. He is truly one of the most awesome pitcher to have ever play the game and a real class act. I wish him all the best with his health. Go SOX!!!
    Posted by Syd

I know Syd.  I was already corrected on that in this thread, and am ashamed for my gaffe.  I forgot he was Panamanian, even though I watched a whole doc about his life down there.  Thanks for making me relive my stupidity.  JK.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Syd. Show Syd's posts

In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera's mysterious medical condition : I know Syd.  I was already corrected on that in this thread, and am ashamed for my gaffe.  I forgot he was Panamanian, even though I watched a whole doc about his life down there.  Thanks for making me relive my stupidity.  JK.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Spaceman,
    I didn't see the correction in the thread when I replied to you. I have a lot of respect for your posts over the years and I hope you didn't think I was trying to up stage you. Thanks for replying!!

Go Sox!!

Syd

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera's mysterious medical condition : Spaceman, I didn't see the correction in the thread when I replied to you. I have a lot of respect for your posts over the years and I hope you didn't think I was trying to up stage you. Thanks for replying!! Go Sox!! Syd
    Posted by Syd

No worries Syd.  Thats why I gave you the JK.  Frankly, getting the great Mr. Rivera's nationality wrong probably deserves a double correction.  Embarassed

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Space Ace - for you

spaced
    without a trace
    waitin' for the word to arrive
    I'm the last man to survive

Aerosmith

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Space Ace - for you spaced without a trace waitin' for the word to arrive I'm the last man to survive Aerosmith
    Posted by jesseyeric

oh yeah!  thanks jesse.  that gave me just the touch of sweet emotion i needed to get back in the saddle again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Always a pleasure my friend.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera's mysterious medical condition : I am impressed and considering the fact that the only thing that usually impresses me are those that look like my avatar or play guitar like Jeff Beck, that is saying something. Examiner - Bravo
    Posted by jesseyeric

LOL...I'm suprised pike hasn't shown up to contest the vote, or at least call for a recount.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

First let me say, I'm glad everything turned out OK for Mariano. While a few of you guys were yukking it up in this thread, he hadn't even had his surgery yet to see if he had cancer. jsyk

As for Examiner, what exactly does this mean...

"I criticize softy but give praise to kim,"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Mariano Rivera's mysterious medical condition : LOL...I'm suprised pike hasn't shown up to contest the vote, or at least call for a recount.
    Posted by TheExaminer

With all of his aliases,he'd win in a landslide.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

First let me say, I'm glad everything turned out OK for Mariano. While a few of you guys were yukking it up in this thread, he hadn't even had his surgery yet to see if he had cancer. jsyk As for Examiner, what exactly does this mean... "I criticize softy but give praise to kim,"
    Posted by kimsaysthis

That comes from pike's post "as usual Kim is the voice of reason" . LOL Relax Kim, it's a joke.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

First let me say, I'm glad everything turned out OK for Mariano. While a few of you guys were yukking it up in this thread, he hadn't even had his surgery yet to see if he had cancer. jsyk As for Examiner, what exactly does this mean... "I criticize softy but give praise to kim,"
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Kimmi, classy as usual.

Sections
Shortcuts