Marijuana in sports

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Marijuana in sports

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Making marijuana legal will be the death of the drug.

Now, there is leal money to be made in it.  This means major corporations will get involved in order to cash in.

However, once, say, Keebler starts growing their own dope and pacakging in cute little bags with some stpuid little doped up elf on the front, then they will go and get all corporate on everyone.  Time to cut costs to increase profit margins!!  So they will start producing cheaper product with less THC, and the customer will not enjoy it so much.

And those dissatisfied customer will switch over to, say, Nabisco-brand marijuana, because they ran a massive marketing campaign by giving away cross-promotional bongs with pictures of Disney princesses on them, and they teamed up with Burger King to release a new series of cups featuring the manin characters of the animated film "Stoners in Space" or whatever.

But an angry Keebler will lash out like any cartel whose stock is plummeting on the Nasdaq like a Pedro Ciriaco OPS after 300 at bats (It is a baseball board, you know.)  The reponse for Keebler is to start attacking Nabisco.  Not so much with conventional weapons, but with shoddy 1970's style advertising, claiming their pot beat out Nabsico pot in a "national taste test," or some other claim, like Keebler pot gets you "70 percent higher", or some other claim that no one could ever disprove, due to the inability to measure highness.   What unit of measure is that, anyway?

And with these major corporations wasting so much time in advertising and promoting and cost cutting, the product will suffer.   Soon you will be much better off just going back to cough medicine, because legalizing marijuana is the death of marijuana.

(Full disclosure: I do not smoke.  I also do not know if Keebler and Nabisco have any designs on selling legalized narcotics.  But really, would it surprise anyone?)

[/QUOTE]

I can dig where you are going with this.  However, what will also happen, due to this lack of quality when it hits the mass market, is that a secondary high-end market will emerge, as people used to smoking that medicinal cali grade are not going to settle for nabisco Eezy Tokes.  The demand will dictate a secondary market for good s*&t.  The Ois Spunkenmeyer to your Nabisco.  Of course, it will be significantly marked up from the grocery stock weed.  But, the mark up will probably end up making it what it costs now with the heavy mark-ups due to illegal trafficking risk.  

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to softlaw's comment:
    [QUOTE]

can dig where you are going with this.  However, what will also happen, due to this lack of quality when it hits the mass market, is that a secondary high-end market will emerge, as people used to smoking that medicinal cali grade are not going to settle for nabisco Eezy Tokes.  The demand will dictate a secondary market for good s*&t.  The Ois Spunkenmeyer to your Nabisco.  Of course, it will be significantly marked up from the grocery stock weed.  But, the mark up will probably end up making it what it costs now with the heavy mark-ups due to illegal trafficking risk.  

Good point. And to augment your point, what licenses, permits, entitlment taxes and other taxes will be mandated by the federal government before one can compete in the return to the free enterprise era of dope commerce?

[/QUOTE]

Admittedly, I am flummoxed in trying to decipher your point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to softlaw's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Even though you're a vile and disturbed human being,

I reach out, in the spirit of bi-partisonship, to our current demagogue's hispanic screenname campaign advisor, David Axelrod/Rojas. Now, ponder if softlaw were to become progressive and reach out to all of the women, self identitfied or federally classifided latinos, blacks, gays and lesbians and poor, by voting for the brilliant progressive candidates throughout this Nation. How "vile and disturbed human being" would softlaw be?

And to all of my fans and haters, let us all tolerate our differences and "get on with the bipartisan spirit and get the work done that American people and the President just went into detail on during the last national election". With that spirit, we can save and expand entitlements that save so many hurting people, for generations to come.

[/QUOTE]

How about if he just helped to pay some of the debts because he could afford it more than others? Perhaps then he may hold some leverage in getting the government to trim more of its pork fat.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

because people who drive 5 MPH are high...I call them crazy old white people...J/K.

But seriously if you are driving 5 MPH because you are High then you should not be driving.  Just because Marijuana should be legal doesn't mean people should be able to go to work and drive High....you can't do those things on alcohol now and Marijuana should be treated the same way.

Also I'm assuming you probably never tried the Ganja. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

My favorite weed in sports story was when Robert Parish got popped with about a pound and the reporters were all asking him what he was going to do with all that pot. He said I was going to smoke it of course. Didn't Fergie Jenkins get busted at the Canadian border while he was pitching for the Sox too? I seem to recall that that was how he ended up in Zimmer's doghouse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Great thread, dudes....Pfffft....Grass roots demo.....pfffft...cracy rules....As John Denver would chime, man....pffft....Rocky Mountain high.....Collarrrrrrado....But how come, man, that no one....pffffffft.....I mean no one... has mentioned that flick Shiftless in Seattle....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

love watching all these news anchors giggle as they talk about legal weed. of course they have to act like they never smoked the stuff before.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-november-8-2012/post-democalyptic-world---marijuana-legalization

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I wonder how many people smoke just to feel rebellious?

It was a long time coming.  The idea that I have to pay good money to keep some kid in jail for years, while the money spent on pot is funding a civil war in Mexico.  License it, get inner city kids addicted, then tax the heck out of it.

Besides, the cops in NYC have enough to do running undercover ops to prevent the smuggling of 32 ounce sodas.

Wait'll the potheads find out that, even if they legalize it, there is no place in NYC where you're allowed to smoke.

Anyway, just another step into making America a have, and have not nation.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

our founding fathers were experts at smoking pot (as well as doing cocaine), the queen of england smoked pot, einstein, Sir Isaac newton among others. all great figures in human history and they smoked pot. being an expert on smoking pot is not a detriment. its a non-issue. who cares if obama smoked pot at some point in his life. nobody is voting for him just because he said he smoked pot in his youth..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Now all the NBA needs to do is ove the Blazers to Seattle.

What...what the he!! is a trailblazer? I've been grossly misinformed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

our founding fathers were experts at smoking pot (as well as doing cocaine), the queen of england smoked pot, einstein, Sir Isaac newton among others. all great figures in human history and they smoked pot. being an expert on smoking pot is not a detriment. its a non-issue. who cares if obama smoked pot at some point in his life. nobody is voting for him just because he said he smoked pot in his youth..

[/QUOTE]

I don't really care so very much, since it is a battle we are unlikely to win, but the drop out rate in NYC public schools is already > 50%.  So we are now going to flood the NYC inner cities with a mind-altering drug?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I'd disagree that marijuana is as dangerous as alcohol.Someone who drinks too much can kill people when they're driving drunk.The only thing someone who smokes too much will kill is a box of Twinkies.

Someone who is high can kill people when they're driving high. Marijuana slows down reaction time, affects altertness, concentration, and coordination. It also hinders the ability to judge distances.

I think a real danger of people smoking marijuana is that they don't see it as being as bad or as dangerous as alcohol, as most of you are stating on this thread.  IMO, this will lead to a person who is high having a false sense of "being perfectly fine" when getting behind the wheel of a car.  It might not be as dangerous as alcohol, but IMO, an argument over the degree of how dangerous something is makes little sense in some instances.

If a stoned driver kills someone's family member, is that person going to be comforted by the fact that at least the driver was only high instead of being drunk?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I don't really care so very much, since it is a battle we are unlikely to win, but the drop out rate in NYC public schools is already > 50%. So we are now going to flood the NYC inner cities with a mind-altering drug?

Amen, JoeyB.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Driving is definitely not something you should be doing under the influence of pot.  With that said, leaving driving out of the equation, I agree with those who say that alcohol has considerably more potential for harm than marijuana does.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Driving is definitely not something you should be doing under the influence of pot.  With that said, leaving driving out of the equation, I agree with those who say that alcohol has considerably more potential for harm than marijuana does.

[/QUOTE]

I don't necessarily disagree, but one of the things I might point out is portability of pot and the ease of accessibility.  A kid gets out of HS at 2:30, he doesn't have a lot of access to a case of beer to split with his friends.  With the sudden ease of access, everyone might have a joint in their pocket.

And getting drunk is not real simple.  Depending on how many people are drinking, you might need 2-3 cases of beer.  It's an organized type of activity more likely to happen in a bar, the park, someone's dorm, etc.  And therefore, more likely to happen at night, when it is more appropriate.

I think the supporters of legalization are envisioning a group of adults relaxing after work on Friday while watching the game.

I think part of this reality is going to be a whole bunch of kids getting high after school.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the supporters of legalization are envisioning a group of adults relaxing after work on Friday while watching the game.

I think part of this reality is going to be a whole bunch of kids getting high after school.

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if legalization would really change things much.  Marijuana is pretty easily accessible as it is for people who want it.  When I was in high school back in the Seventies kids were openly smoking pot and now my daughter is in high school and nothing seems to have changed.  Will the percentage of users be significantly increased by legalization?  I don't know.  I would assume there would be age restrictions similar to alcohol.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

im 20, so i'm only a few years removed from HS and it was super accessible. and the closer you get to NYC the easier it is to find. JB, i would not worry about it flooding NCY after it is legalized because it is already flooded with the stuff. if your in NYC and you want to find pot and it takes you longer than 30 minutes then your doing something wrong. kids are going to get high after school anyway, thats just how thw world works, i never met a kid in my HS who never smoked pot before. if its legal they won't be risking their future by partaking in a harmless activity.

and kim. many studies about marijuana were not conducted properly therefore the findings are not accurate. Now that scientists are re-conducting these experiments the right way they are finding many of the "bugaboos" about pot are simple not true. like the notion that it decreases reaction time and kills brain cells for instance.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

then again it's a lot easier to steal a few beers out of the fridge

than some weed out of dads pocket

besides I have hard time believing the kids have a problem getting it now

[/QUOTE]

True to you and Bob, but if the kid can steal beer, he can probably steal pot.  And if he can't steal it from dad, someone will grow it in the garden and sell onesies to the local school kids.  they had it when I was kid, but at least there was more of a gatekeeper.  I just don't think this is going to be nearly as smooth as some anticipate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

im 20, so i'm only a few years removed from HS and it was super accessible. and the closer you get to NYC the easier it is to find. JB, i would not worry about it flooding NCY after it is legalized because it is already flooded with the stuff. if your in NYC and you want to find pot and it takes you longer than 30 minutes then your doing something wrong. kids are going to get high after school anyway, thats just how thw world works, i never met a kid in my HS who never smoked pot before. if its legal they won't be risking their future by partaking in a harmless activity.

and kim. many studies about marijuana were not conducted properly therefore the findings are not accurate. Now that scientists are re-conducting these experiments the right way they are finding many of the "bugaboos" about pot are simple not true. like the notion that it decreases reaction time and kills brain cells for instance.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with most of that.  But no one is going to convince me that you can drive a car just as well when you're high.  It's not the same as being staggering drunk, but it's not nearly like being straight either.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I knew one guy in one of my roto leagues that discussed it in-depth.  He had been a regular user (ill-defined), and he discussed quitting in real time.  He described real withdrawal symptoms, including nausea and headaches.  He also complained that he felt his thinking process had been compromised, and he didn't make it seem like he thought it was just a short-term issue.