Mark Melancon and the relief conundrum

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Mark Melancon and the relief conundrum

In Response to Re: Mark Melancon and the relief conundrum:
    [QUOTE]For those who feel that Melancon's time in Boston precludes him from being called back up no matter what he is doing AAA, try this:  Look at Aceves' stats for the first two weeks of the year then reread the original post and this time, everywhere it says Melancon, instead read it as Aceves.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

But why fix what isn't broken?  He'll get another chance this season when someone gets hurt.  Until then, there's no need to shake up a bullpen that has been very successful of late.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

JB - I'm not saying someone should get cut to make room for Melancon. I just think the position that his start was irredeemable is too extreme. Melancon's small sample doesn't mean he can't be productive and Miller's doesn't prove he's a different pitcher from the one we know and fear (he did have 14 walks in 11 IP in AAA). I will agree with don't fix what isn't broken in the sense that we shouldn't cut pitchers who are producing, but it's not like the BPs success has been just this one group. Taz and Mortensen were part of that run too. Most of the BP has been solid. Padilla and Morales have had troubling tendencies which bear watching. I agree, Melacon will get his chance. I fully expect we will be dealing relievers very soon, selling high while clearing the log jam.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In Response to Re: Mark Melancon and the relief conundrum:
    [QUOTE]For those who feel that Melancon's time in Boston precludes him from being called back up no matter what he is doing AAA, try this:  Look at Aceves' stats for the first two weeks of the year then reread the original post and this time, everywhere it says Melancon, instead read it as Aceves.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

Thank you... exactly what I am getting at.  Most of our bullpen pitchers were horrible to start the year but were given time to work it out.  I don't advocate changing anything in the pen right now, but when the inevitable chance comes up and there is an injury then I hope Mark gets another shot.