Mark Melancon as a closer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Mark Melancon as a closer?

Last nite I watched the whole game, and Mark Melancon looked very impressive last nite.  One of the best game that he pitched in the whole season.  

Does he get a shot to try out to be the team's closer next year?  His fastball pitch was much better than he threw in the month of April.  Since he finally fixed his mechanic problem at the same time if he stay healthy for the next season, he should be the team closer. 

I really like him more than Bailey!!  Bailey isnt a bad pitcher, but his location of his pitches last nite were all terrible.  Bailey should go back to the minor league like Melancon did in the middle of the season to fix his pitching problem!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Mark Melancon as a closer?

I'd consider Tazawa as a closer, unless they decide to give him a shot in the rotation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Tazawa just had Tommy John surgery.  I think Tazawa is more happy to just be a bullpen pitcher, and he is more likely to continue to stay where he is now.  

I could agree with you that he should be given a shot to try out for a closer.

But since you brought his name up.  Why not try to use Tazawa and Melancon as a 8th to 9th inning set up and closer guys.  Both were the top two best bullpen pitchers for the month of September except Tazawa pitched well in all year along!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Bailey should be fine next season.. He's just adpating to his new team and environment plus he's not fully  back to his form after that injury.  He should be in perfect condition starting next ST. 

I also believe Tazawa should be given a chance at the rotation next season but I read somewhere that he has more chance at staying in the BP for next season.

Melancon is the setup guy for us at best.  He does not have dominant stuff to be the closer in AL East division team. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Melancon is the setup guy for us at best.  He does not have dominant stuff to be the closer in AL East division team. 

[/QUOTE]

He was throwing fastball at the same speed as Bailey last nite.  I couldnt first believe it.  I thought Melancon is throwing around the low 90's.  But last nite, most of his fastball pitches were at 95 MPH.  Plus his locations were excellent last nite.  

I do agree with now that Bailey was injured in all season along until he finally came off of DL about less than two months ago.  It is too wrong to criticize him like we all did it with Mark Melancon in the beginning of this season.

If Bailey can get better like Mark Melancon and Tawaza did it this year, then we would have three young awesome bullpen pitchers for next season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Tazawa just had Tommy John surgery.  I think Tazawa is more happy to just be a bullpen pitcher, and he is more likely to continue to stay where he is now.  

But since you brought his name up.  Why not try to use Tazawa and Melancon as a 8th to 9th inning set up and closer guys.  Both were the top two best bullpen pitchers for the month of September except Tazawa pitched well in all year along!! 

The criticism of Bailey is short sighted at this point, coming back from thumb surgery.  while he was able to pitch, the doctors said it would be a year before he was 100%. Lets see what happens in spring training before demoting the guy. Also need to see where we stand with Bard and Aceves

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

The criticism of Bailey is short sighted at this point, coming back from thumb surgery.  while he was able to pitch, the doctors said it would be a year before he was 100%. Lets see what happens in spring training before demoting the guy. Also need to see where we stand with Bard and Aceves

I agree.

It's Bailey's job to lose next year.

Melancon hasn't been consistent enough to take the closer job, IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[/QUOTE]

For the whole month of September, Melancon have an ERA of 1.08.  He is now becoming a consistant pitcher!!  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Have you watched Melancon all year? You say he's becoming a consistent pitcher, but a meaningless month doesn't make him consistent. It makes  him a pitcher who has pitched well in low pressure situations. He would be consistent if he pitched like this all year. 

Keep dreamin'.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

ADG--the commentators on MLB Network said what you said when Mel was coming in to relieve Bailey.  After his "stint" they were talking about how amazed they were that he came into the pressure cooker situation and did so well. Having been a former Yankee pitcher added to the tension for the situation. It wasn't the normal Sept. non pressure appearance--it was his opportunity to put an Exclamation Point on his Sept.--reminding management that he will be ready for a more important role in 2013.

In addition, it may have also increased his value on the trade market; the Sox seem to have a tendency to trade players with gas left in the tank; Coco, Moss, Reddick, Lowe, are a few names that come to mind.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

For the whole month of September, Melancon have an ERA of 1.08.  He is now becoming a consistant pitcher!!  

"Becoming" being the operative word here.

Let's see him beat out Tazawa for the set up role, before we hand him the closer position.

We can see if he's still improving next and we can see how and if Bailey can come out of ST healthy.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I wouldnt hand Melancon the keys to the closers job just yet. Bailey has only been back from a thumb injury for a short time and should be judged come next year when hes had time to fully heal.

Melancon was good in Houston, but looked scared when he fisr started here. I read an interview with him recently and he stated that hes been more aggressive on the mound and has adopted a more "firey" attitude. Last night was def a pressure situation. 1 out bottom of the ninth bases loaded with the game tied in Yankee stadium and the momentum in NY favor as they just tied the game. He showed great poise and got the job done. I imagine that should do wonders for his confidence going into next year. Closer? No. But 7th or 8th inning, very possible...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't know about Melancon as closer.  but, I am very happy to see him looking like the Melancon we thought we were getting.  If Bailey is healthy and melancon is pitching to form, that nicely shores up at least one of the club's major weaknesses next year.  I don't ever underestimate the proper lining up of a bullpen.  The Bard Experiment predicated that the backend was Melancon/Bailey, and then poof, Bailey was out and melancon was MIA.  People have been crushing Aceves, but he was never meant to be a closer.  Square peg, round hole.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Key2Delock. Show Key2Delock's posts

Bullpen 2013  Would the Red Sox be satisfied with a 2013 bullpen of Aceves, Atchison, Bailey, Bard, Melancon, Miller, Morales and Tazawa, if all of them were healthy and pitching at their best, or will some of them be gone in trades?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

I think they trade Melancon in the off season, he had a terrible era, and looked shakey at best

• You have chosen to ignore posts from lstboss. Show lstboss's posts

In response to Key2Delock's comment:

Bullpen 2013  Would the Red Sox be satisfied with a 2013 bullpen of Aceves, Atchison, Bailey, Bard, Melancon, Miller, Morales and Tazawa, if all of them were healthy and pitching at their best, or will some of them be gone in trades?

I would like to see Melancon and Aceves gone.

In response to lstboss' comment:

After the way Melancon has looked the last month and he doesnt even start his arb years until 2014? Aceves I could see maybe with his attitude, but not melancon.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

After the way Melancon has looked the last month and he doesnt even start his arb years until 2014? Aceves I could see maybe with his attitude, but not melancon.

Yup, after the last month, Melacon deserves another look next year.

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Yup, after the last month, Melacon deserves another look next year.

Hes got good stuff, just needed to get things together mentally. With him and Beato not set for arb until 2014 its a no-brainer, to me anyway, that theyre here in 2013.

• Sections
    Shortcuts