Mark My Words............

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Re: Mark My Words............

One has to be stupid to not look at Crawford's contract ball and chain and career averages and splits, compare them to Ellsbury's career averages and splits, and think that paying 16 to 20 million for Ellsbury' FA ticket is the way to go.

Yes, you are that stupid.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I can see Youk being traded but I can't picture the Sox going out and trading for Hanley.  It would cost just about everything they have in the minors.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Hanley played a terrible SS last year. Don't you remember the flak in this forum when Renteria played a terrible SS? Memories are short here I guess. How many posters have bashed Theo for never signing a good SS and now you want to sign Hanley?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I just don't think Hanley will be shopped this winter.  I understand the logic behind it,  I like Hanley and would welcome him to Boston.....but if I had to guess I wouldn't bet on him moving this winter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

How will the Sox afford Ellsbury after the contract that albatross Crawford got?

Besides, does anyone here actually think that Boras will give the Sox a 'hometown' discount?

The Sox have no choice.  They'll have to trade him.

If Inepstein was reponsible for the Crawford contract, he should have been tarred and feathered before leaving town with his tail between his legs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Mark My Words............:
    [QUOTE]How will the Sox afford Ellsbury after the contract that albatross Crawford got? Besides, does anyone here actually think that Boras will give the Sox a 'hometown' discount? The Sox have no choice.  They'll have to trade him. If Inepstein was reponsible for the Crawford contract, he should have been tarred and feathered before leaving town with his tail between his legs.
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]
    Ellsbury could be traded as early as the deadline in 2012 or as late as the winter of 2013; but traded he almost certainly will be.
    Not at the moment, though. The Sox will want him to strut his stuff for at least another half season in order to show skeptics that 2011 wasn't a fluke. The higher his value, the better the return. Should the Sox be stumbling around at mid-season ( yes, it's possible ), a serious contender with slack in centerfield might be willing to part with prize chips, especially pitching. This scenario may be the least likely to happen, but it cannot be discounted entirely. Otherwise, Ellsbury will continue to be on display heading towards what he hopes will be a big payday when he becomes a FA. He will be responsible for his own value.
    There will be no hometown discount. And unless things change between him and the club, he will be looking to take the first train out of town. Right now, he is Bobby Valentine's best all-around player. That relationship will be interesting to watch. 
    Meanwhile, the Crawford contract and the club's past treatment of Ellsbury combine to make his departure a virtual sure thing. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]One has to be stupid to not look at Crawford's contract ball and chain and career averages and splits, compare them to Ellsbury's career averages and splits, and think that paying 16 to 20 million for Ellsbury' FA ticket is the way to go. Yes, you are that stupid.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

More transparent Softy nonsense....where in my post above (or ever) have I supported or defended the Crawford signing?  I didn't, never have, and my post above in no way supports it.  The post above simply points out the two players are not fungible....because Crawford can't play CF.  Crawford's contract has nothing to do with this conversation, you just like to drop in non-sequitars like Crawford, Wakefield and unions. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Pitching, people! Focus!

We have 4 shortstops already...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Space, before I would trade Ells for him I would talk with Ells and Boras and tell them we are interested in signing Ells for $120 M for 6 years. We need an answer by tomorrow. If you choose not to sign we are putting him up for trade.

Possible trade partners:
    The Marlins for hopefully Hanley and a pitcher.
    The Angels for Bourjos, Santana and Trumbo possibly Walden.
    The Brewers for Marcum and Hart.
    The Yankees for Montero and one or both of their top two minor league pitchers and Brett Gardner.
    You come up with your scenario--they will certainly find a suitable trade partner.

Ells is at his highest trade value now we can't just take a chance he will have a less than stellar 2012 and 2013.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mark My Words............ : OK OK.  I'll play along.  Lets assume that he would pull off an amzaing 180 degree attitude adjustment.  Given that the Sox need pithcing bad, real bad.  And given that nobody wants another mediocre shortstop in the field, and given the reason that the Marlins are even considering moving him is because of his unwillingness to not play short, and given that his price tage would be steeeep, could i have a couple of reasons why trading away talent for this fantastic attitude having Hanley would be a good thing?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Why not?

If he is less than stellar, he won't cost $20mill per.

However, he still might help this team actually win something...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]Space, before I would trade Ells for him I would talk with Ells and Boras and tell them we are interested in signing Ells for $120 M for 6 years. We need an answer by tomorrow. If you choose not to sign we are putting him up for trade. Possible trade partners: The Marlins for hopefully Hanley and a pitcher. The Angels for Bourjos, Santana and Trumbo possibly Walden. The Brewers for Marcum and Hart. The Yankees for Montero and one or both of their top two minor league pitchers and Brett Gardner. You come up with your scenario--they will certainly find a suitable trade partner. Ells is at his highest trade value now we can't just take a chance he will have a less than stellar 2012 and 2013. In Response to Re: Mark My Words............ :
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Boston isnt ready to sign an extension contract with Ellsbury.  Since Boston tight with their payroll for this coming season, they rather to wait until the 2012 season starts, and then try to sign him an extension contract where it will be effective of 2013 season.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I certainly want a guy who:

• is not excited about a new stadium
    • upset his team is in the process of tripling its payroll
    • unhappy with the addition of an all*star player like Reyes, and a workhorse such as Buerhle
    • who puts his own preferences over his team needs
    • failed as a team leader
    • likely is bearing resentment toward the team for not forgoing his current contract and paying him in advance for what he might do
    • is unhappy that his manger said it was "his team"
    • prefers to long for the days of finishing 3rd rather than grab the gauntlet and take the division with his teams new outlook

Bring him here and he might whine about the poor conditions in the clubouse, too crowded. Maybe in another 2 or 3 years when we ask him to play third he will make John Valentine look like an angel. 

You pinheads can continue to crave players that fit perfectly into the 2011 Red Sox mold all you want, not I.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Don't get me wrong...a right handed hitting power hitter would make this offense more potent.

But.....

when you rank in the top 3 in just about every offensive category, and towards the middle of the pack to the bottom of every pitching category where should you improve your team???

pitching. pitching. pitching...people we need pitching.

Pitching wins titles....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

If you are going to trade Ellsbury, a team that might have interest and does have pitching is Seattle.  There has been talk on the radio here (by the sports talk radio hosts, not the team) that Ellsbury would fit well here.  He is from Oregon, and he is a left-handed bat that would play well in Safeco.  The Sox could get Franklin Gutierrez (a RH hitting CF to replace Ellsbury), Michael Pineda and probably another prospect.  Pineda would be a young, solid #3 or 4 pitcher.  The Mariners have other pitchers to replace him and get a big bat and local star to help the team.  Ichiro is in the last year of his contract, and Figgins contract runs out in two years.  They will be able to afford him if they choose to re-sign him.  There has been talk that they are in on Prince Fielder, and adding Fielder and Ellsbury may help the team's attendance and show the fans the front office is trying to build a winner. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]So, let me get this straight. The 2011 Sox were plagued with superstar diva attitudes, not enough sacrifice to the team cause, and not enough playing hard every single day ... ... and part of the remedy for that is Hanley Ramirez?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

You misunderstand Spaceman, I don't think this is good move, but I think that Larry wants hanley back.
    I don't have any heartburn with trading Youk away, but we need to do it for a solid #3 or 4 guy, and a RH bat to platoon in RF and come off the bench. I think Youk could fetch that much.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

[QUOTE]Alibiike, the reason Hanley asked to be traded was because he wants to play SS, not 3rd base.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    that's right plus Hanley comes with some major attitude problems. We have enough of those already.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Space, before I would trade Ells for him I would talk with Ells and Boras and tell them we are interested in signing Ells for $120 M for 6 years. We need an answer by tomorrow. If you choose not to sign we are putting him up for trade. Possible trade partners: The Marlins for hopefully Hanley and a pitcher. The Angels for Bourjos, Santana and Trumbo possibly Walden. The Brewers for Marcum and Hart. The Yankees for Montero and one or both of their top two minor league pitchers and Brett Gardner. You come up with your scenario--they will certainly find a suitable trade partner. Ells is at his highest trade value now we can't just take a chance he will have a less than stellar 2012 and 2013. In Response to Re: Mark My Words............ :
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

OK, I can envision a trade scenario with Ellsbury.  I just don't like any trade scenarios involving Hanley Ramirez.  In my book, he is the most overrated player in the league.  And that is not even taking into account his pizz-poor attitude.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mark My Words............ : You misunderstand Spaceman, I don't think this is good move, but I think that Larry wants hanley back. I don't have any heartburn with trading Youk away, but we need to do it for a solid #3 or 4 guy, and a RH bat to platoon in RF and come off the bench. I think Youk could fetch that much.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Talk about throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks...

...Larry wants Hanley back???..

...where and when was that ever even alluded too by Lucchino or anyone else in the Sox FO?

The FO is trying to improve chemistry and we got people trying to get Hanley back? Some even say that bringing him here with Ortiz as his mentor would change his attitude...yeah right, how'd that work with the despicable man-child Manny?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

because Crawford can't play CF. Crawford's contract has nothing to do with this conversation,

Crawford's contract has everything to do with Red Sox future plans. Crawford can play CF, not that he needs to for Ellsbury to be traded. You are quite catatonic and dumb.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Marlins can pick up 5 or 6M difference on Ellsbury 2012 arbitration cost and Hanley 2012 cost. Add Lowrie and another blocked prospect and get back hanley plus a 2nd tier pitcher. 3 team deal landscape will make it an easy done deal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]because Crawford can't play CF. Crawford's contract has nothing to do with this conversation, Crawford's contract has everything to do with Red Sox future plans. Crawford can play CF, not that he needs to for Ellsbury to be traded. You are quite catatonic and dumb.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

You are such an awful person....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Now, now, let us not be judgmental. Let us be tolerant of one another's differences, you Left wing lunatic. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mark My Words............ : Talk about throwing crap against the wall to see if it sticks... ...Larry wants Hanley back???.. ...where and when was that ever even alluded too by Lucchino or anyone else in the Sox FO? The FO is trying to improve chemistry and we got people trying to get Hanley back? Some even say that bringing him here with Ortiz as his mentor would change his attitude...yeah right, how'd that work with the despicable man-child Manny?
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

I said "I think" Larry wants Hanley back, just my opinion. How about you thoroughly read the post before responding. I'm not basing my opinion on anything except: 1) The organization regrets trading him and 2) Lucchino implied there would be a significant deal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mark My Words............ : I said "I think" Larry wants Hanley back, just my opinion. How about you thoroughly read the post before responding. I'm not basing my opinion on anything except: 1) The organization regrets trading him and 2) Lucchino implied there would be a significant deal.

What makes you think the organization regrets trading him?  Josh Beckett was a vital cog in a world championship.  Right there, no regrets.  And Hanley, while a good bat, is a mess in the field, a mediocre OBP guy, and a headcase.  I doubt the organization is too beat up about moving him.  They knew they were shipping a future star.  but, you have to give to get.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mark My Words............ : I said "I think" Larry wants Hanley back, just my opinion. How about you thoroughly read the post before responding. I'm not basing my opinion on anything except: 1) The organization regrets trading him and 2) Lucchino implied there would be a significant deal.