Mark Reynolds at 1B??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Mark Reynolds at 1B??

Was non tendered by the orioles.. Has an insane amount of power but strikes out alot and after a down year hitting .221 with 23 homers he could probably be had for decent money(probably 6-8 mill a year on a one or two year deal). Reynolds could be good insurance incase Napoli signs elsewhere. What do you guys think, ye or ne on Reynolds if Naps doesnt end up here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Mark Reynolds at 1B??

Righthanded slugger Mark Reynolds could provide a bookend with Will Middlebrooks at the corners of the Red Sox infield. Here are the 2013 Bill James Handbook projections for Reynolds and Middlebrooks:

MR 622 PA, .231/.336/.463/.799

WM 565 PA, .277/.316/.490/.806

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I like it. If you can live with the 200 strikeouts a year, you might also get 30 or 40 home runs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like it. If you can live with the 200 strikeouts a year, you might also get 30 or 40 home runs.

[/QUOTE]

He does walk a bit too so it makes the strikeouts a little less painful. And the homerruns help you forget about the strikeouts also, Im almost certain if he plays 81 games in Fenway he will wear out that wall when he puts the bat on the ball.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He does walk a bit too so it makes the strikeouts a little less painful. And the homerruns help you forget about the strikeouts also, Im almost certain if he plays 81 games in Fenway he will wear out that wall when he puts the bat on the ball.

[/QUOTE]

maybe working with a great hitter like papi and our new pitching coaches could do him good too. that power paired with the monster certainly is attractive.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I certainly like Reynolds as much, if not more, than Napoli.  And if he will take less in dollar amount and fewer yhears, he is a better option for sure.  And I would take him over LaRoche as well, since LaRoche will cost a draft pick, hits from the left side, and does NOt have the same power potential.  And though Reynolds strikes out a lot, he draws his fair share of walks as well, enough to make his OBP respectalbe, even when his batting average is below average, as it was this season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Mark Reynolds has posted a .276/.364/.566/.929 line in 88 career plate appearances at Fenway Park despite striking out in 35.2 percent of his plate appearances:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=reynoma01&year=Career&t=b

The sample is too small to be particularly meaningful, but there you have it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

He has versatility too he can play third as well if WMB needs a day off. He was only moved to 1B to make room for machado he is still a servicable 3B.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

He has versatility too he can play third as well if WMB needs a day off. He was only moved to 1B to make room for machado he is still a servicable 3B.

[/QUOTE]

middlebrooks is what? 22? i hope he doesn't need days off

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Almost every player needs a day of once in a while not all players are built to play all 162 games.Maybe he is that kind of player but we ont know that yet, Justpointing out that Reynolds also brings versatilty to the team if signed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Will Middlebrooks is 24 years old, but I understand your point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Seems like the Sox had their Mark Reynolds this year in Salty and the fans just couldn't deal with all the K's in clutch situations that Salty suffered.  Salty had 25 HRs in something a bit over 400 ABs.  O's are letting him go for a reason...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Middlebrooks needed a lot of days off in 2012.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's not like he plays for the Spurs or anything...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Seems like the Sox had their Mark Reynolds this year in Salty and the fans just couldn't deal with all the K's in clutch situations that Salty suffered.  Salty had 25 HRs in something a bit over 400 ABs.  O's are letting him go for a reason...

[/QUOTE]

Yes, because they do not want to pay the arbitration raise on his $7.5mill salary...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

well.... i mean a broken hand will do that to ya.

the O's likely let him go because of cost, they probably feel they can allocate that cash to different areas in a more productive fashion.

gotta say there are more and more 1st base options each day. maybe tomorrow we will learn the mets are putting Davis on the block

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the O's likely let him go because of cost, they probably feel they can allocate that cash to different areas in a more productive fashion.

gotta say there are more and more 1st base options each day. maybe tomorrow we will learn the mets are putting Davis on the block

[/QUOTE]

I know he had a broken hand. Just pointing out that those things happen. You can ever assume that anyone will be healthy all year , no matter what their age may be.  Not too many Ripkens out there these days.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

According to the Globe's Peter Abraham, Mark Reynolds told Baltimore reporters that he prefers a team that trains in Arizona. Reynolds could be a nice fit with the Cleveland Indians.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know he had a broken hand. Just pointing out that those things happen. You can ever assume that anyone will be healthy all year , no matter what their age may be.  Not too many Ripkens out there these days.

[/QUOTE]

yeah i get ya. in any case, versatility is a huge plus! especially given the string of bad luck and bad health this team as had for several years now. its nice to have guys who are able and willing to play multiple positions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would sign reynolds to play 1B, which he is much better suited for than 3B. he has big time power, right handed bat, he could put up big power numbers in boston. He is 29 years old, so younger than napoli and is actually a 1B/3B, not a catcher attempting to play the position. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Reynolds is not much different from Napoli or Morse.  I could see the Sox landing one of them...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think they are letting him go to move Chris Davis to 1 B and if Reynolds went to Arb he might make over $9 M. 

I could see him platooning with Pena for the Sox or the Rays with the other providing a threat off the bench as a PH. Platooning might cut down on both their strikeouts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Reynolds or Berkman are probably good fit for a team looking for temporary fix on 1B. The Red Sox can sign one of these 1B for a year and get Hosmer for a long term 1B, and I think the Sox 1B problem would be solve.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-Good Fenway stats (see Hill) might entice him into a make-good contract.

2-I didn't see him much, but they said he is very good at 1st.

3-I don't think he is quite as good as Laroche or Napoli, but the $$$ and years make up for it.

4-He is close enough to being good that a big year at Fenway might allow us to make a 2014 qualifying offer.

5-For all the Ks, he managed to bring his ratio down to almost 2/1 last year.

Some of this depends on how you want to allocate your budget, but I think he might pay a good return.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

23 homers = "insane power"

That is one less then Napoli's insane power

I have had enough today with the forum

Sections
Shortcuts