Mark Reynolds at 1B??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Mark Reynolds at 1B??

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Middlebrooks needed a lot of days off in 2012.

[/QUOTE]

Did Middlebrooks play for the Spurs too?   LOL

As for Reynolds, he would be a cheap option for 1B. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Was non tendered by the orioles.. Has an insane amount of power but strikes out alot and after a down year hitting .221 with 23 homers he could probably be had for decent money(probably 6-8 mill a year on a one or two year deal). Reynolds could be good insurance incase Napoli signs elsewhere. What do you guys think, ye or ne on Reynolds if Naps doesnt end up here.

[/QUOTE]

His numbers after the early part of the season showed that he regained his power stroke. I think he would be a good alternative to First Base rather than Napoli, if.... his price is lower, you get the power numbers and his defense I believe is better than Napoli.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

23 homers = "insane power"

That is one less then Napoli's insane power

I have had enough today with the forum

[/QUOTE]

44 HRs in one season is outstanding - maybe even "insane" - power....but wait, that would be ignorant of me to focus on just one of his 6 seasons.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Arrogance is a word best used to describe you... too bad you backed down to Idiots over the "Raj" thing.... I lost what respect I had for you on that one.

The word "ignorant" is  nasty word imo.... I don't use it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to LeftyGrove's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Was non tendered by the orioles.. Has an insane amount of power but strikes out alot and after a down year hitting .221 with 23 homers he could probably be had for decent money(probably 6-8 mill a year on a one or two year deal). Reynolds could be good insurance incase Napoli signs elsewhere. What do you guys think, ye or ne on Reynolds if Naps doesnt end up here.

[/QUOTE]

His numbers after the early part of the season showed that he regained his power stroke. I think he would be a good alternative to First Base rather than Napoli, if.... his price is lower, you get the power numbers and his defense I believe is better than Napoli.

[/QUOTE]

I noticed that also.  From July-Sept, he had 17 HRs in 280 ABs.  Only a .229, but the OPS was .796.  He won't make us forget Gonzo, but his salary/duration will make it much easier to fill other holes.  And if he were available for $6M, I'd feel a lot more comfortable telling Napoli that $31.5M/3 is my final offer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i would sign reynolds to play 1B, which he is much better suited for than 3B. he has big time power, right handed bat, he could put up big power numbers in boston. He is 29 years old, so younger than napoli and is actually a 1B/3B, not a catcher attempting to play the position. 

[/QUOTE]

Every team would love to carry 3 catchers, but the roster squeeze makes it very difficult.  Having a 1st baseman (Napoli) who can catch gives a coaching staff a lot more flexiblity than having a 1st baseman who can play a really bad 3rd base (Reynolds). 

On the other side, I'm a big believer in having a good defensive 1st baseman, so I would prefer Laroche on a 2 year deal over Napoli on a 3 or 4 year deal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sti328. Show sti328's posts

Yes, look at his stats historically...better HR numbers than Napoli. This past season was Reynold's worst season, but he hit 15 after the AS break. So he has a better chance at 30 HR than Napoli since only has 1 season with 30+ HR (2011). This will provide the "Thunder" that Ortiz talked about. The SO is something to watch for but if Ortiz bats after Reynolds, then he can be taught to have better discipline and take a walk. Or if other way around, then he should still be taught with discipline as Middlebrooks is next.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]

23 homers = "insane power"

That is one less then Napoli's insane power

I have had enough today with the forum

[/QUOTE]

23 homers was a down year for him . in 2011 he hit 37-2010  he hit 32 homers and in 2009 he hit 44 homeruns. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

Yes , sign him today

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

worth taIn response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yet to see anyone applauding Reynolds make an offer for Reynolds. Reynolds will play for any team that pays him a million or more than the next best offer. His AZ preference is simply his premium announcement to play elsewhere. As an everyday 1B, he's a 2nd or 3rd rate 1B bum.

The Red Sox would be foolish to spent millions on a RH corner infield bookend to Middlebrooks. While Reynolds splits v. RP aren't bad, they most certainly provide no value at the likely market value for Reynolds. His tiny Fenway split sample are all the more reason not to be giddy about what Reynolds would produce for the Red Sox.

Unless the Red Sox can acquire VMart via trade for 2 prospect outside of BA Red Sox team prospect top 6 internal farm ranking, they need to pay 2nd rate contract costs to 2nd rate labor. Loney for 1 year and 1 to 2M, with a team option year two, in a platoon with Gomez is a far better value than spending millions on Reyonlds for multi-year contract cost. 

Reynolds is nothing but a place holder, he's not any season changing labor producer.  

[/QUOTE]

Softlaw whats with your b0ner for the no power vmart??? The guy is a shell of what he used to be.  a one or two year contract for a guy that is more than capible of hitting 40 plus bombs at 6-8 million a year is definitly something worth looking into. Your someone that strikes me as being penny wise and dollar foolish. How do you get 6-8 mill being first tier money for second tier talent???  I would LOVE to see the team you put together if you where a GM, a team of singles hitters i would guess. Theres no way in He11 i want garbage james loney back on the team plattoning with a forever AAAA guy in Gomez. 2 years max for reynolds isnt gonna break the bank.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why was he non tendered? So we pic up junk that other team don't feel are worth anything. Do we sign guys  because of who they use to be? He was good at one time lets go get him and complain later.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like it. If you can live with the 200 strikeouts a year, you might also get 30 or 40 home runs.

[/QUOTE]

You are so right !!! Lets sign guys who srtike out alot and hope for 30+ homers. Thats what i want ok guys just swing away and see who can get the most home runs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mark Reynolds has posted a .276/.364/.566/.929 line in 88 career plate appearances at Fenway Park despite striking out in 35.2 percent of his plate appearances:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=reynoma01&year=Career&t=b

The sample is too small to be particularly meaningful, but there you have it.

[/QUOTE]

What about on the road ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why was he non tendered? So we pic up junk that other team don't feel are worth anything. Do we sign guys  because of who they use to be? He was good at one time lets go get him and complain later.

[/QUOTE]

He was non-tendered cuz thats the way the orioles do buisness. They obviously think they have someone who can step in and atleast come close to replicating his production. Thats good for the orioles but we dont have those kind of options this year. And its not wanting to picking him up becuase of what he use to be its picking him up becuase of what he still is. A guy who as recently as 2011 had 30+ homeruns.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

I think of pizza when i hear Napoli. I like the filene's basement version, reynolds, who will supply both souvenirs and whiff breezes, modern day rob deer with more homers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Check his stats after may of last year... There power he power

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mark Reynolds has posted a .276/.364/.566/.929 line in 88 career plate appearances at Fenway Park despite striking out in 35.2 percent of his plate appearances:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=reynoma01&year=Career&t=b

The sample is too small to be particularly meaningful, but there you have it.

[/QUOTE]

What about on the road ?

[/QUOTE]

.800 career road OPS.  You actually could've just clicked the link that was supplied.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Not up to me to check............Did Baltimore check his stats....Yes they did and did not want him back...... They know much more then me.... I was just agreeing with with them....I think they know a lot more then you!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Hey a strikeout isnt a double play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Not up to me to check............Did Baltimore check his stats....Yes they did and did not want him back...... They know much more then me.... I was just agreeing with with them....I think they know a lot more then you!!

The Orioles may well want Mark Reynolds back, but not at the projected $8.9 millon salary it would have cost the team if the O's had tendered Reynolds a contract.

I encourage you to study up on the business of baseball.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Not up to me to check............Did Baltimore check his stats....Yes they did and did not want him back...... They know much more then me.... I was just agreeing with with them....I think they know a lot more then you!!

[/QUOTE]

It is a virtual guarantee that he'll be signed by someone.  Are you saying that the team that signs him will have made a mistake?  Everyone in BB has a price at which they are exactly an even deal.  Sign Reynolds for $1M and it is a great deal.  Sign him for $20M and it is a bad deal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

Arrogance is a word best used to describe you... too bad you backed down to Idiots over the "Raj" thing.... I lost what respect I had for you on that one.

The word "ignorant" is  nasty word imo.... I don't use it.

[/QUOTE]

"Backed down over the Raj thing"?  I did not mean "the Raj thing" to be offensive, and don't consider it to be, but stopped when it became apparent some people did.  It was actually when a poster I respected wrote that he thought it was offensive that I stopped doing it.   What would you have done in my place?  Continue to accidently offend people for no good reason?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The guy is a shell of what he used to be.  a one or two year contract for a guy that is more than capible of hitting 40 plus bombs at 6-8 million a year is definitly something worth looking into. Your someone that strikes me as being penny wise and dollar foolish

The bum who had 24 HR @ Baltimore is now in their dumpster. He has as much chance to hit 40HR with the Red Sox as you do. Zilich!

How many years for this bum?  Desperate would be putting it mildly for the 2nd rate 1st base bum, Reyonlds.

VMart is a gifted overall hitter from both sides, who can also catch. He has 2 years left on his contract, and because he's a gifted hitter from both sides who can also backup catch, he's also easily tradeable for the same or more than he cost. He's also a professional when it comes to his labor contract obligations, which has been a problem for the Red Sox.

Reyolds is nothing but a bum who swings for the fences and would not be season long upper team RBI producing on an everyday basis as the Red Sox 1st baseman.

Beltre, AGon and J. Upton, to name a few are not "just singles hitters". It's about OPS, not 23 HR in a season from some launching pad house.

[/QUOTE]

Yes the "bum" that managed 23 homers in a down year. Id say his chances of hitting forty playing 81 games in fenway is achievable seeing as he averaged 30+ homers from 2009-2011.

Although victor is still an above average contact hitter this team doesnt need Switch hitting contact hitters It NEEDS RH power. Reynold has driven in 85 Runs or more 4 times in his career.