Marlins Listening to offers for Giancarlo Stanton.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Re: Marlins Listening to offers for Giancarlo Stanton.

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/30/marlins-listening-to-offers-for-outfielder-giancarlo-stanton/

I say Offer the Farm for him He's One of the Few players that are worth it.

[/QUOTE]

Why the farm offer, Nava, Iggy, Bailey and top pitching prospect and go from here. This would be BC's moment to get on the phone/tweeter quiet all the BC's bashers. The Marlins get OF with experience to fill the Stanton hole, a young closer/bull pen pitcher, a top propsect SS and a choice of a prospect starter. The Marlins will not need a prospect catcher. They already have that from the Toronto deal. Give the Marlins what they want because the Marlins mngt. is in the drivers seat with this rumour trade. The Red Sox can afford to let some prospects go.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Giancarlo Stanton is a great young player, but as a result any market for Stanton would overheat to the point that the Marlins could command a significant overpay for his services.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Hill. I kinda get what you are saying, but I doubt it. Recent history shows us that the market did not overheat for their dump of Johnson, Reyes, and Buerhle. I imagine that many teams would have wanted to be in on that, but the Marlins just dumped them.

I agree that Stanton will have to be an overpay, but I think that any team willing to take Nolasco, and give affordable pitching in return may have a good shot. I still think that the Rangers with someone like Profar plus pitching have the best shot. The Rangers, obviously, want to keep Profar.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

Why the farm offer, Nava, Iggy, Bailey and top pitching prospect and go from here. This would be BC's moment to get on the phone/tweeter quiet all the BC's bashers. The Marlins get OF with experience to fill the Stanton hole, a young closer/bull pen pitcher, a top propsect SS and a choice of a prospect starter. The Marlins will not need a prospect catcher. They already have that from the Toronto deal. Give the Marlins what they want because the Marlins mngt. is in the drivers seat with this rumour trade. The Red Sox can afford to let some prospects go.

The catcher Miami received in the Toronto trade is Jeff Mathis, with a career line of .198/.256/.314/.570 in eight seasons as he approaches his 30th birthday before Opening Day.

The proposed package of Daniel Nava (who will be 30 on Opening Day), Jose Iglesias (.135/.210/.203/.413), Andrew Bailey (projected 2013 salary of $3.9 million) and a top pitching prospect probably would not land Logan Morrison, much less Giancarlo Stanton.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

The catcher Miami received in the Toronto trade is Jeff Mathis, with a career line of .198/.256/.314/.570 in eight seasons as he approaches his 30th birthday before Opening Day.

The proposed package of Daniel Nava (who will be 30 on Opening Day), Jose Iglesias (.135/.210/.203/.413), Andrew Bailey (projected 2013 salary of $3.9 million) and a top pitching prospect probably would not land Logan Morrison, much less Giancarlo Stanton.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Hill. It's interesting that on the one hand, you argue that the Marlins would want Pedroia and can afford his salary under their $118M cap from last year, but on the other hand, you point out that they will not want Bailey's $3.9M salary.

Age is an issue to some extent as far as years of overall control and whether or not the player is in their prime. I am sure that if we offered Dustin Pedroia then the age issue would be overlooked.

All indications are that the Marlins will go back to their extremely cheap ways. I would think that cost of players is more of a factor than age. It is not all about choosing all players that are younger than Stanton. IMO Doubront, Morales, Bailey (+ cash), and possibly Aceves (+cash) would be options that the Marlins would consider as part of a package, especially since they have gutted their pitching staff and are probably eager to move Nolasco as well. Bailey may be an option that would significantly add to their bullpen.

4 affordable pitchers as the basis for a trade would be hard to overlook. Conceivably, there are 3 starters and a closer. Add Brentz and Holt, and agree to take Nolasco. RS rotation is Lester, Buch, Lackey, Nolasco, Dempster with Rubby and Tazawa in the wings.

I would think that the Marlins will be more serious about trading Stanton in a year or two when arbitration drives up his salary.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Why the farm offer, Nava, Iggy, Bailey and top pitching prospect and go from here. This would be BC's moment to get on the phone/tweeter quiet all the BC's bashers. The Marlins get OF with experience to fill the Stanton hole, a young closer/bull pen pitcher, a top propsect SS and a choice of a prospect starter. The Marlins will not need a prospect catcher. They already have that from the Toronto deal. Give the Marlins what they want because the Marlins mngt. is in the drivers seat with this rumourtrade. The Red Sox can afford to let some prospects go.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Hill. It's interesting that on the one hand, you argue that the Marlins would want Pedroia and can afford his salary under their $118M cap from last year, but on the other hand, you point out that they will not want Bailey's $3.9M salary.

Age is an issue to some extent as far as years of overall control and whether or not the player is in their prime. I am sure that if we offered Dustin Pedroia then the age issue would be overlooked.

All indications are that the Marlins will go back to their extremely cheap ways. I would think that cost of players is more of a factor than age. It is not all about choosing all players that are younger than Stanton. IMO Doubront, Morales, Bailey (+ cash), and possibly Aceves (+cash) would be options that the Marlins would consider as part of a package, especially since they have gutted their pitching staff and are probably eager to move Nolasco as well. Bailey may be an option that would significantly add to their bullpen.

4 affordable pitchers as the basis for a trade would be hard to overlook. Conceivably, there are 3 starters and a closer. Add Brentz and Holt, and agree to take Nolasco. RS rotation is Lester, Buch, Lackey, Nolasco, Dempster with Rubby and Tazawa in the wings.

I would think that the Marlins will be more serious about trading Stanton in a year or two when arbitration drives up his salary.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe subtract Brentz or Holt and add Lava.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

It's an issue of value.

Andrew Bailey, who is projected to earn $3.9 million in 2013, has been valued at $4.4 million over the past two seasons, according to the conversion of WAR at FanGraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1368&position=P#value

Dustin Pedroia, who will earn $10.25 million in 2013, has been valued at $56 million over the past two seasons:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=8370&position=2B#value

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/30/marlins-listening-to-offers-for-outfielder-giancarlo-stanton/

I say Offer the Farm for him He's One of the Few players that are worth it.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am certainly not an expert on trades, but I think that your proposal is reasonable as a base. RS would have to add players. Nava had the second highest OBP on the team last year, and he is affordable. Despite his age, he is not worthless. Iggy is Cuban and a wizard defensively, which might be an added bonus for the Miami market.

I love reading how our spare parts are worthless to other teams because they are our spare parts. It's like the Rangers saying that Andrus is worthless because Profar is better.

Gotta think that out of Holt and Ciriaco that one is expendable but useful. We seem to have no role for Gomez even though he had an MVP season in AAA or AAAA, whatever you want to call it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I love reading how our spare parts are worthless to other teams because they are our spare parts. It's like the Rangers saying that Andrus is worthless because Profar is better.

Are you comparing 24-year-old Elvis Andrus, a two-time All Star shortstop, with nearly 30-year-old journeyman outfielder Daniel Nava and nearly 23-year-old Jose Iglesias?

Some "spare parts" are clearly worth more than others.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

Are you comparing 24-year-old Elvis Andrus, a two-time All Star shortstop, with nearly 30-year-old journeyman outfielder Daniel Nava and nearly 23-year-old Jose Iglesias?

Som "spare parts" are clearly worth more than others.

[/QUOTE]

Ha! No, of course not... It is an extreme example, but an example nonetheless. Spare parts to one team are building blocks for others, especially affordable spare parts in this case. I have offered quality parts (not spares) in a 6 or 7 to 1 exchange. RS don't have the necessary parts on their roster for a 1-to-1 or 2-to-1 exchange for Stanton, IMO, especially given the Marlins proclivity to stay cheap.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

The Marlins are not trading him!  They just want to see if someone offers them the "Herschel Walker Offer".  Nothing more.  That being said, I would offer Barnes Lavarnway Iglesias Bradley. Take it or leave it and and we take on Nolasco.  No harm in trying.  You would think the Sox would have to make some kind of offer at this point. He is exactly what we need. Let Ells play out the year and make a strong run at it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True!  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Never happen. If Marlins ever traded Stanton, you'd probably be able to hear crickets during the games. He's there only draw and makes little $, a perfect Marlin.

Obviously you've never been to a Marlins game. You can hear roaches & Cuban Tree Frogs over the few people that bought tickets. :-)