Marlins Listening to offers for Giancarlo Stanton.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: Marlins Listening to offers for Giancarlo Stanton.

Well, short of who wld the Sox have to give up or how many, I know there shld be good faith between both teams. That Beckett trade worked for both teams evenly. I'd like to think those kinds of things, past trades, help. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

If Stanton is actually on the trade block, you would have to overwhelm the Marlins with something and solve their other problems as well (Nolasco). Otherwise, I would sit and wait for the offers to roll in. They don't have to trade Stanton.

If the RS did acquire Stanton, do you try to sign him to a long-term contract for reasonable dollars? Or do you wait out his arb years and take the hit later? I would if you could get him to take 6/60 or 6/72? Would he make $10M before his third arbitration year?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's the guy worth making the farm system work for you--Stanton could be the RF'der for the next 10 years. If you traded the farm you know you could eventually rebuild it as their would be a GM that would believe he could lead you to the WS. 

What would the Marlins want in opening the talks?

WMB or Boggie, Lester or Buch, Bailey, Webster, Barnes, Holt and Brentz. 

I would send cash to pay Lester or Buch's salary.

That's about as far as I would go.

[/QUOTE]

Haha!...Glad to see "that's about as far as you would go!"  You can't be serious?!  The Sox would never consider that package for Verlander, Kershaw, or Hernandez, never mind an outfielder.  And again, I doubt the Marlins have 7 available spots on their 40 man roster. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  He's a heck of a player, but we'd basically have nothing left in the minors.  And unless it is an ace, I don't think one player means that much.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd try this for Stanton and Nolasco (contract $11.5M):

2 from: Morales (2 arbs), Tazawa (4 years of control), or Aceves + $$$ (2 arbs)

Lavarnway or Swihart

Bradley

2 from: Iggy, Brentz, Cecchini

If they say no, I'd add Owens to the pick 2 part and make it pick 3 of the 4.

I suppose I may add Barnes or Bogaerts and take away from somewhere else, but that is pushing it to beyond reasonable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

It's not realistic to expect Miami to trade Giancarlo Stanton -- with or without Ricky Nolasco -- without getting the other team's absolute top prospects and/or players in return. Second- and third-tier players from a 93-loss club won't entice the Marlins.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would you take Nolasco and his contract off their hands? Stanton had publicly bad-mouthed the direction of the team.  Plus, they would like to move Nolasco

[/QUOTE]

Good idea.  The Red Sox can take Nolasco's contract and make a possible Stanton deal more attractive. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's not realistic to expect Miami to trade Giancarlo Stanton -- with or without Ricky Nolasco -- without getting the other team's absolute top prospects and/or players in return. Second- and third-tier players from a 93-loss club won't entice the Marlins.

[/QUOTE]

It's all about how the Marlins value our prospects, not how we do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ben c should be all over the marlins trying to get a deal done for stanton. Hes the guy u give up the blue chippers for. As much as i would prefer not to deal boegarts, staton is one of the few guys i would deal him for. LF in fenway would be ideal for stanton too. He could put up some huge numbers playing in fenway, crushing em over the monster. 40-50 home runs per would not be out of the question. Marlins would likely be looking for a prospect package.I would go boegarts, webster, checcini and brentz or something along those lines. marlins will be rebuilding for awhile. our line up would be:

ellsbury

pedroia

stanton

ortiz

middlebrooks

napoli

victorino

salty/lava

drew

looks a million times better than our line up with gomes/kalish in left, thats for sure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

stanton is better than any of our prospects..i would deal anyone for him...that guy would crush balls in fenway..i mean crush.

[/QUOTE]

Sure he will?????????????????????????????????????. If Sox thought like you .Stanton would be wearing a sox uniform... So you don't know our prospects all to well. Name one guy that won a world series? Dream on !!!!

[/QUOTE]

what? what are you saying? i know our prospects and i would deal them for stanton in a sec.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ben c should be all over the marlins trying to get a deal done for stanton. Hes the guy u give up the blue chippers for. As much as i would prefer not to deal boegarts, staton is one of the few guys i would deal him for. LF in fenway would be ideal for stanton too. He could put up some huge numbers playing in fenway, crushing em over the monster. 40-50 home runs per would not be out of the question. Marlins would likely be looking for a prospect package.I would go boegarts, webster, checcini and brentz or something along those lines. marlins will be rebuilding for awhile. our line up would be:

ellsbury

pedroia

stanton

ortiz

middlebrooks

napoli

victorino

salty/lava

drew

looks a million times better than our line up with gomes/kalish in left, thats for sure.

[/QUOTE]

exactly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What the H does our record from last yr have anything to do w/ it? What? Marlins are somehow going to hold up their collective nose because they've never had a losing season? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

We have enough quality prospects and young(ish) players to make the trade. It's not a question of our record last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Marlins are paying next to nothing for Stanton. They are merely pipe dreaming that some incompetent GM will shoot from the hip. Stanton's not going anywhere anytime soon.

[/QUOTE]

And yet they somehow find a way to answer their phone about Stanton inquiries. ?

Come on, you cant deny its intriguing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We have enough quality prospects and young(ish) players to make the trade. It's not a question of our record last year.

[/QUOTE]

I agree but would our 2nd rounder streamline this process? Don't think it needs to be a lopsided 7-1 trade. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to emp9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree but would our 2nd rounder streamline this process? Don't think it needs to be a lopsided 7-1 trade. 

[/QUOTE]

If Stanton is a proven commodity--which he is--and we are trading primarily unproven minor leaguers to obtain him why is that not good for the Sox? Perhaps Boggie is the next Stanton who knows--that's the risk we have to take.

Not sure I'm missing something on the 2 nd rounder--we can't trade the draft pick and we won't lose the pick if we trade for Stanton. 

If the Sox traded 7 for 1--we then have have empty 40 man slots--which we could use to fill the needs that we still have in our Min League System.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Stanton is a proven commodity--which he is--and we are trading primarily unproven minor leaguers to obtain him why is that not good for the Sox? Perhaps Boggie is the next Stanton who knows--that's the risk we have to take.

Not sure I'm missing something on the 2 nd rounder--we can't trade the draft pick and we won't lose the pick if we trade for Stanton. 

If the Sox traded 7 for 1--we then have have empty 40 man slots--which we could use to fill the needs that we still have in our Min League System.

[/QUOTE]

I thought there were rule changes regarding this starting 2013?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What the H does our record from last yr have anything to do w/ it? What? Marlins are somehow going to hold up their collective nose because they've never had a losing season? 

[/QUOTE]

Hill is correct.  They traded half their team to a 73-win team, but that is their cutoff.  If you only win 69, as opposed to 73, they won't return your phone call.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I'd be shocked if the Marlins trade Stanton this winter (he's young, team-controlled in the long term, and damn good, and Loria would have to go into hiding from the five Marlin fans who would be left at that point), and they'd have to be absolutely overwhelmed; I've never been a fan of trade proposals that would virtually empty our farm system of prized prospects to acquire one player (however good that player might be), and that's about what it would take. But I have a feeling this is going to be the new "Trade for King Felix" idea that someone proposes in a new thread once a week for the next few seasons, no matter how far-fetched it is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Hill is correct.  They traded half their team to a 73-win team, but that is their cutoff.  If you only win 69, as opposed to 73, they won't return your phone call.

That 73-win club offered up the No. 2, No. 5 and No. 8 prospects* from Toronto's loaded farm system, a righthanded Felix Doubront in Henderson Alvarez, an established shortstop in Yunel Escobar and light-hitting defensive catcher who on the Angels in 2010 got more starts behind the plate than Mike Napoli.

Because of age, salary and years of control, Giancarlo Stanton likely has more trade value than Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, John Buck and Emilio Bonifacio combined.

I don't doubt that Miami will negotiate with a 93-loss team, but the Marlins will be seeking that team's best players and prospects, not a package highlighted by Ryan Lavarnway and Jackie Bradley (Bradley is older and slightly less regarded than Miami centerfield prospect Christian Yelich).

* Baseball America's organizational rankings released November 7, 2012: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2013/2614294.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

Try Barnes, Webster, Buch( pay 90% of his contract), Holt,Middlebrooks, and Iggy

For Stanton & Nolasco

Them give Stanton 10 / 250.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Florida is going to be just like Seattle with Felix and Arizona with Justin Upston.  These teams are alway listening but still playing head games with these teams.

Longer they listen, it is going to get harder on trying to get him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

That 73-win club offered up the No. 2, No. 5 and No. 8 prospects* from Toronto's loaded farm system, a righthanded Felix Doubront in Henderson Alvarez, an established shortstop in Yunel Escobar and light-hitting defensive catcher who on the Angels in 2010 got more starts behind the plate than Mike Napoli.

Because of age, salary and years of control, Giancarlo Stanton likely has more trade value than Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, John Buck and Emilio Bonifacio combined.

I don't doubt that Miami will negotiate with a 93-loss team, but the Marlins will be seeking that team's best players and prospects, not a package highlighted by Ryan Lavarnway and Jackie Bradley (Bradley is older and slightly less regarded than Miami centerfield prospect Christian Yelich).

* Baseball America's organizational rankings released November 7, 2012: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2013/2614294.html

[/QUOTE]

What does the amount of losses a team has had have to do with how good their prospects are?

We do not know how Miami rates Bradley, Lavarnway or others. They may like players we have ranked lower. For example, they may highly covet a guy like Swihart or Owens.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Stanton ever becomes available, I would try Bogaerts, Webster, Brentz, Doubront (Morales takes Doub's spot) for Stanton.  

Sections
Shortcuts