Marlins Shopping Logan Morrison, should the sox get him to play 1b?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Marlins Shopping Logan Morrison, should the sox get him to play 1b?

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

16-20M is a far cry from 26. Also the word is advocating for Hunter, not begging

No, it's not a "far cry" for an old man from an LA dumpster. Advocating is begging, everywhere including ambulance chaser suits.

If the Red Sox can't take VMart's entire 2 year and base 13 contract for farm scraps, and if they can't buy Napolie for 2 and base 10M, they need to platoon Loney and 1 to 2M and Gomez. True incompetence to give away AGon to get rid of Crawford and Beckett's contracts that resulted from the same incompetence.

[/QUOTE]

advocate:  advise, argue for, campaign for, champion, commend, countenance, defend, encourage, espouse, favour, hold a brief for justify, plead for, prescribe, press for, promote, propose, recommend, speak for, support, uphold, urge, apostle, backer, campaigner, champion, counsellor, defender,  promoter, proponent, proposer, speaker, spokesman, supporter, upholder  

Nope, I dont see beg in there anywhere. Maybe you should learn the meaning of the words you use before you use them. It might make your opinions a little more credible...Just a thought.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

southy--you write people off like they are old timers if they haven't done anything by 27-28. Not True--RA Dickey wins the Cy at age 37--he has had 39 wins in the last 3 years.

Ciriaco--is written off on the Sox Forum daily like you write off Gomez as a AAAA. Disagree--these guys may be late bloomers that are just finding out the intricacies of the game. Release both of those guys today and they are gone within hours. Look at a Sox reject, currently age 29--.291 BA, 21 Hrs., 50 + RBI in 84 games with the A's...Brandon Moss. He was probably a AAAA--to me he is a Gomez and a Ciriaco--if you use them right they can be very productive.

"Age is an Asset, Experience a Benefit." That's why I was so upset when Olmsted was casually released by Ben--you don't have a K to BB ratio like he had at any level, without having some ability.

David Ross, Atch--Mid 30's just finding it--Age, Experience---many pretty good players out there just waiting for a call. A nice blend of age and youth is most of the time helpful.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

southy--you write people off like they are old timers if they haven't done anything by 27-28. Not True--RA Dickey wins the Cy at age 37--he has had 39 wins in the last 3 years.

Ciriaco--is written off on the Sox Forum daily like you write off Gomez as a AAAA. Disagree--these guys may be late bloomers that are just finding out the intricacies of the game. Release both of those guys today and they are gone within hours. Look at a Sox reject, currently age 29--.291 BA, 21 Hrs., 50 + RBI in 84 games with the A's...Brandon Moss. He was probably a AAAA--to me he is a Gomez and a Ciriaco--if you use them right they can be very productive.

Im not saying we should write off or release either Ciriaco or Gomez, its just that I dont believe they are good choices to start because of thier track records. Could I be wrong? sure. But Im not willing to take a chance that they might be late bloomers and just say Gomez is my starting 1b and Ciriaco is my starting SS and not look for better options. Brandon moss is a 4th OF/bench guy on a top tier team and a possible starter for a team like the A's. Hes a decent player, just fits better on a team like the A's or pirates if he wants more playing time.

"Age is an Asset, Experience a Benefit." That's why I was so upset when Olmsted was casually released by Ben--you don't have a K to BB ratio like he had at any level, without having some ability.

Olmstead wasnt casually released by Ben like he didnt care. He had to keep his depth players incase of injury and go with proven MLB talent on the 40-man roster as well as protect the kids he doesnt want taken in the rule-5 draft. Sometimes there are tough decisions that have to be made. He was certainly one of them. Next year we will have even more of a problem with 40-man roster spots seeing about 30 out of our top 40 prospects will be rule-5 eligible. Im sure there will be even tougher choices next year.

David Ross, Atch--Mid 30's just finding it--Age, Experience---many pretty good players out there just waiting for a call. A nice blend of age and youth is most of the time helpful.

I also was supportive of Atch as hes been a consistent pitcher since coming here, but since his elbow issues he might be a non-tender candidate. I was also the first one on this board advocating for David Ross to be signed by Ben as well as Hunter, so its not an age thing with me.

Listen Mad, We agree that a good team should have a solid core of players with a good mix of youth and veteran leadership. We might just disagree on who those players are. Nothing wrong with that.

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

southie--my concern re the 40 man roster is keeping guys like Zach Stewart over a guy like Olmsted. It's keeping a guy like Pemental who has been with the club since he was 16/17. David Carpenter, Pedro Beato, Sandy Rosario, Ivan DeJesus. There are a total of 7 players that are on the 40----6 out of the 23 pitchers BenC has protected on the 40--one infielder.

How many of those players would clear waivers? would you really care if they cleared waivers? Yet a guy with 14 K's per 9 and a 3 BB per 9 gets cut. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

I enjoy your reads and I agree with  most of your comments.

Thanks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We should have and still should make some 2 or 3 for 1 deals to free up roster space for guys like Olmsted and some rule 5 guys we are about to lose.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The problem is that you cannot hold on to everyone forever.  I always liked Moss, but I always thought of him as a platoon player.  In that regard, he is just like Murphy and Reddck.  You can only carry one of those guys at a time.  Now we are carrying the 4th genertion of lefties in Kalish.

In addition, you cannot wait forever for a guy to develop.  Before this year, Moss had a .682 OPS, against mostly righties.  Counting his minor league time, that's 10 years of trying to find his niche, and even now, he's mostly a platoon player.

On Ciriaco and Gomez, they have very bad K/W ratios.  Gomez' OPS in the minors is .819, and a lot of that is because he accumulated a lot of stats in the last two years against kids.  Ciriaco has a 6/1 K/W ratio in the pros and 5/1 in the minors.  In his last 131 PAs, he had a .518 OPS with a 22/5 K/W.  He's a fun player to watch, but I think that's about what he is.  The difference between him and Gomez is that Ciriaco brings other skills.  Gomez pretty much doesn't add anything., imo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

southie--my concern re the 40 man roster is keeping guys like Zach Stewart over a guy like Olmsted. It's keeping a guy like Pemental who has been with the club since he was 16/17. David Carpenter, Pedro Beato, Sandy Rosario, Ivan DeJesus. There are a total of 7 players that are on the 40----6 out of the 23 pitchers BenC has protected on the 40--one infielder.

How many of those players would clear waivers? would you really care if they cleared waivers? Yet a guy with 14 K's per 9 and a 3 BB per 9 gets cut. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

I with you on Olmstead Mad. The only logical thing I can think of is him having no experience past AA and possibly since he was lower on the depth chart, couldve asked to become a ML FA. Since Boston has a bunch of possibilities for the bullpen and the Brewers dont, he was guarenteed playing time there in 2013, something Boston couldnt do.

Stewert has good stuff that I think will better serve him in the bullpen, not as a starter. he was a 1st round pick so id like to see if a move to the pen works. I do like what I saw from Beato and Carpenter. Dont know much about Rosario, but like I said, they all have MLB experience and are ahead of Olmstead on the depth chart.

Olmstead seemed to be a solid RP, at the AA level anyways, and I wish him all the success...

Next year is going to be worse than this year as far as choosing who get protected from the rule-5 draft. Im sure we will see a few of those names involved in trades and some just let go or not protected.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We should have and still should make some 2 or 3 for 1 deals to free up roster space for guys like Olmsted and some rule 5 guys we are about to lose.

[/QUOTE]

I'd bet that we offer our AAAA prospects out all the time.  The problem is that everyone has AAAA players and roster space contrictions.

The NYY Steve Pearce is our Gomez.  Pearce had a .986 last year in AAA and is 29.  Igarashi had a 2.45 with a 55/18 K/W.

The second problem with a lot of the AAAA guys we acquire have already been scouted and passed on by other teams.  Olmsted was drafted by the NYM and released.  I'm sure there are teams that know who he is, what he did in the independent leagues, and what he did in AA.  I'm sure BC offered him around, but other GMs decided they liked their AAAA better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Stewert has good stuff that I think will better serve him in the bullpen, not as a starter. he was a 1st round pick so id like to see if a move to the pen works. I do like what I saw from Beato and Carpenter. 

In addition to those four guys, you have Josh Fields with a 19/2 in 13.2 AAA IPs, and a former #1.  You can't keep everyone.  I think Germano was also one of those AAAA guys as well, before we traded him.  He just flamed out with the Cubs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

I with you on Olmstead Mad. The only logical thing I can think of is him having no experience past AA and possibly since he was lower on the depth chart, couldve asked to become a ML FA. Since Boston has a bunch of possibilities for the bullpen and the Brewers dont, he was guarenteed playing time there in 2013, something Boston couldnt do.

Stewert has good stuff that I think will better serve him in the bullpen, not as a starter. he was a 1st round pick so id like to see if a move to the pen works. I do like what I saw from Beato and Carpenter. Dont know much about Rosario, but like I said, they all have MLB experience and are ahead of Olmstead on the depth chart.

Olmstead seemed to be a solid RP, at the AA level anyways, and I wish him all the success...

Next year is going to be worse than this year as far as choosing who get protected from the rule-5 draft. Im sure we will see a few of those names involved in trades and some just let go or not protected.

[/QUOTE]

I don't mind keeping Stewart over Olmstead.  Stewart is just as likely to be a productive major leaguer as Olmstead is.

If anyone should be removed from the 40-man roster, I saw start with Danny Valencia and Mauro Gomez

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

RA Dickey wins the Cy at age 37--he has had 39 wins in the last 3 years.

Since when should wins and NL season metrics determine what the Red Sox should be looking for. I don't want the 37 year old RA Dickey's new contract. But, since you do, tell us what you budget to make sure you acquire him. I want to note that for future reference.

[/QUOTE]

RA Dickey only has one year left on his contract for 5M...If the Sox were to trade for him, it would be a 1 year rental and no need to extend him. For the record, Im not saying I want him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't mind keeping Stewart over Olmstead.  Stewart is just as likely to be a productive major leaguer as Olmstead is.

If anyone should be removed from the 40-man roster, I saw start with Danny Valencia and Mauro Gomez

[/QUOTE]

The reason that Valencia is on the 40-man is exactly why I said. Depth. The next in line at 3b is Kolbrin Vitek then Micheal Almanzar and Garin Cecchini...We have to have someone in pawtucket...Personally, I dont want to see either of these 3 in MLB right now for various reasons.

We could probably get away with taking Gomez off, but after Valencia, theres nobody close to MLB ready.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

According to mlbtr, the marlins are now shopping logan morrison and ricky nolasco. Now i am not too interested in nolasco, but morrison on the other hand is a guy that the sox should deal for. i would imagine the cost would not be extremely high and he has potential to be a really good player. he has had some durability issues in the past, but keeping him at first base as opposed to the outfield should put much less wear on his body. One other thing that he has going for him is his age, as he just turned 25 this past august.what do you guys think?

[/QUOTE]
    I would bring a guy like Youk back before signing anyone else, or trade for a 1B.  Youk knows the system well and gave us good production at IB before the thumb surgery.  After that things got even worse, AGon was brought in, Youk went to 3B and was injured again while Middy was on a tear.

I wouldn't hesitate to give Youk another year or two at 1B as long as we had a bit of insurance backing him up. Fans keep calling for Iggy to get the SS position, how about bringing back a gold glove at 1B in hopes Youk turns it around?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mauro Gomez minor league stats blow Logan Morrisons out of the water.....

[/QUOTE]

GOmez run wuth the big team is also better.  He may not be seen as a power hitter, but he already is playing better by some 45 points ...   small sample, sure, but still better

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's what I see regarding Gomez. Why isn't he an option at 1st base is beyond me.

[/QUOTE]

Gomez is not close to Morrison.  Gomez didn't get out of A-ball until he was 25.  Morrison was the #18 prospect in the country at age 20.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The reason that Valencia is on the 40-man is exactly why I said. Depth. The next in line at 3b is Kolbrin Vitek then Micheal Almanzar and Garin Cecchini...We have to have someone in pawtucket...Personally, I dont want to see either of these 3 in MLB right now for various reasons.

We could probably get away with taking Gomez off, but after Valencia, theres nobody close to MLB ready.

[/QUOTE]

He might be depth, but he is hardly worthwhile depth.  THe Sox could EASILY find a minor league free agent replacement who is as good.  For example, both Ryan Roberts and Ian Stewart are non-tender candidates and if they sgned a minor league deal, they would not need to take up a 40-man roster spot.  And Roberts would actually be an upgrade.

Also, the "next in line" behind middlebrooks would probably be Ciriaco or DeJesus long before it go to Vitek.  Basically the sae guys between Pedroia and whoever is "nex in line" for that spot...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

GOmez run wuth the big team is also better.  He may not be seen as a power hitter, but he already is playing better by some 45 points ...   small sample, sure, but still better

[/QUOTE]

Also a completely ridiculous sample, unless you think gomez can maintain a .345BABIP on ground balls for a prolonged stretch.  (Hint: He can't)

Morrison may not be the answer, but he is a better one than Gomez...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He might be depth, but he is hardly worthwhile depth.  THe Sox could EASILY find a minor league free agent replacement who is as good.  For example, both Ryan Roberts and Ian Stewart are non-tender candidates and if they sgned a minor league deal, they would not need to take up a 40-man roster spot.  And Roberts would actually be an upgrade.

Also, the "next in line" behind middlebrooks would probably be Ciriaco or DeJesus long before it go to Vitek.  Basically the sae guys between Pedroia and whoever is "nex in line" for that spot...

[/QUOTE]

I suppose they could sign those guys, and i did realize Ciriaco was next in line. I was referring to the minors though. shouldve made that more clear.

They have some years of control and dont have to worry about that spot with Valencia. Not arb eligible until 2014 and earliest FA is 2017.

Hes had better years the more he plays and without having to worry about finding another BU with MLB experience at a low cost. Ryan Roberts and ian Stewart would probably want an opt out if they didnt make the MLB roster whereas Valencia is under control...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Logan Morrison, in a south beach dumspter, nahhh!

[/QUOTE]

The problem with you, and I don't say this in a negative way, is that I have no idea when you are being serious, or just speaking off the cuff.  You explained why you didn't like Anderson, so agree or disagree, at least it gives me something to think about.  It might help mif you actually explained why it is that you think he is a bum.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

Gomez and Loney in a platoon is better than trading to get a bum like Morrison.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, if your goal is to put together a low cost team where everyone plays and smiles.

Not so much when winning actual baseball games is part of the goal...

25. This post has been removed.