Marlon Byrd: $16M/2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Marlon Byrd: $16M/2

Everyone else's price just went up.

If this guy can get that money...

Surprised

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Re: Marlon Byrd: $16M/2

The Phils are'nt that bright...  Look at all the outrageous contracts on that team.

Yes,  I am looking at you Mr. Howard,  Mr. Halliday,  Mr. Papelbon,  Mr. Lee & Mr. Hammels.

Outrageous,  considering what they have accomplished there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, all true, but agents everywhere are going to use his contract to set the tone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

What a country! What an industry! We couldn't run this guy outta town fast enough just a couple years ago. Oh what those magic elixers can do!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He had a great year, a potential NL Comeback Player of the Year winner. But last year,  we traded Michael Bowden to get this guy andthen released him.

If Byrd is worth $16mill for two years, one has to think the contract for Buchholz ($19.7mill) over 2 years is a winning ottery ticket.  (Unless that one is andrewmitch.)

Scary to think the money that might get thrown at Cano and Ellsbury.  The Sox best bet is to go after middle relievers and nothing more. Mujica, Smith, Crain.  Those types...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He had a great year, a potential NL Comeback Player of the Year winner. But last year,  we traded Michael Bowden to get this guy andthen released him.

If Byrd is worth $16mill for two years, one has to think the contract for Buchholz ($19.7mill) over 2 years is a winning ottery ticket.  (Unless that one is andrewmitch.)

Scary to think the money that might get thrown at Cano and Ellsbury.  The Sox best bet is to go after middle relievers and nothing more. Mujica, Smith, Crain.  Those types...

[/QUOTE]

Our bullpen on paper now looks like this:

Closer: Uehara

Tazawa

Breslow

Miller

Morales

Dempster

Workman

Britton

Villareal

(Bailey- nontendered?)

de la Rosa

A Wilson

C Martin

C Hernandez

(Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes, Wright)

I could see us signing Napoli, Mujica and Crain and trading Carp, Dempster and Miller.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Awful contract unless he keeps up with his 'vitamins'.

This deal reminds me of Joaquin Benoit's 2010 contract of three years, 16.5 million deal setting the market for middle relief pitchers at 5+ MM per for three years.  Benoit earned his dollars, but it blew up the market for middle RPs.

Ells might sign for more than Carl Crawford's 7/142.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Awful contract unless he keeps up with his 'vitamins'.

This deal reminds me of Joaquin Benoit's 2010 contract of three years, 16.5 million deal setting the market for middle relief pitchers at 5+ MM per for three years.  Benoit earned his dollars, but it blew up the market for middle RPs.

Ells might sign for more than Carl Crawford's 7/142.

[/QUOTE]

Could be, just hope not with us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Wow. I can still hope for an OF job and I haven't played a game since high school. I wanna get paid to play, too!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

When you look at the year he had 24 HR, 88 RBI, .291 BA, .336/.511/.847, and he has a good glove, $8M a year for two year really isn't out of line, although he will be 36 next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Get used to these contracts

With the additional money going to the teams from the larger TV contracts, the money that teams will throw around this off-season will make the last 5 years look like a tag sale.  If I recall, each team stands to get an extra $25 mil in TV revenue.

Ervin Santana wants $100 mil, Nolasco wants $80 mil. My guess is Boras puts Ellsbury out there at a minimum...Crawford money (7/$142).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

When you look at the year he had 24 HR, 88 RBI, .291 BA, .336/.511/.847, and he has a good glove, $8M a year for two year really isn't out of line, although he will be 36 next year.

I look beyond one year, especially at his age.  He will be 37 next year.

Sections
Shortcuts