Marlon Byrd from Cubs for Theo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmccarthy76. Show bmccarthy76's posts

Marlon Byrd from Cubs for Theo

Sox and Cubs are haggling over prospects for Theo. Sox originally asked for Garza which was not happening but what if we asked for Byrd?

Byrd would be a big upgrade over McDonald and could man RF almost everyday. I beleive he has 1 year left at 5M. (I could be wrong here)

I would then NOT sign Papi. We all know he has given us 8 great years with huge hits etc but are we willing to pay $10M plus for 2 plus years for a 34 (???) year old DH?

No Ortiz would allow us greater lineup versatility and re-distribute his money to pitching. (take his $10M plus to include in deal for CJ Wilson or Buehlre)

Here is what I am thinking for lineup based on 5 man rotation for time)
    1. Ellsbury CF
    2. Crawford LF
    3. Pedroia 2B
    4. A-Gon 1B
    5. Youk 3B (one day a week at DH)
    6. Byrd/Reddick/Kalish (if Reddick or Kalish play RF they drop in lineup)
    7. Lavarnay (DH twice a week and catch once or something like that)
    8. Salty (catch 4 times a week)
    9. Scutaro/Lowrie--until Iglesisa ready

A couple of interchangeable parts. When Youk DH, Lowrie plays 3rd. The RF position can DH some days too and others can rest at DH (Peddy, Crawford, Ells, A-Gon)

Rotation:
    Lester
    Beckett (please come re-focused in 2012)
    Buckholx
    CJ Wilson/Mark Buerhle
    Daisuke/Aceves/Doubront

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Marlon Byrd from Cubs for Theo

It's doubtful the Sox would use Byrd in a platoon.

I like Byrd for RF, but not as the Epstein compensation.  Byrd makesd $6.5ill this year, and getting him should involve dumping some offset payroll (Bobb Jenks and his $6mill, for example?)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Marlon Byrd from Cubs for Theo:
    [QUOTE]Sox and Cubs are haggling over prospects for Theo. Sox originally asked for Garza which was not happening but what if we asked for Byrd? Byrd would be a big upgrade over McDonald and could man RF almost everyday. I beleive he has 1 year left at 5M. (I could be wrong here) I would then NOT sign Papi. We all know he has given us 8 great years with huge hits etc but are we willing to pay $10M plus for 2 plus years for a 34 (???) year old DH? No Ortiz would allow us greater lineup versatility and re-distribute his money to pitching. (take his $10M plus to include in deal for CJ Wilson or Buehlre) Here is what I am thinking for lineup based on 5 man rotation for time) 1. Ellsbury CF 2. Crawford LF 3. Pedroia 2B 4. A-Gon 1B 5. Youk 3B (one day a week at DH) 6. Byrd/Reddick/Kalish (if Reddick or Kalish play RF they drop in lineup) 7. Lavarnay (DH twice a week and catch once or something like that) 8. Salty (catch 4 times a week) 9. Scutaro/Lowrie--until Iglesisa ready A couple of interchangeable parts. When Youk DH, Lowrie plays 3rd. The RF position can DH some days too and others can rest at DH (Peddy, Crawford, Ells, A-Gon) Rotation: Lester Beckett (please come re-focused in 2012) Buckholx CJ Wilson/Mark Buerhle Daisuke/Aceves/Doubront
    Posted by bmccarthy76[/QUOTE]
     the subject of compensation for epstein has been beaten to death. There i NO WAY that the Sox get major league ready talent much less a bordeline all star for a GM who got promoted by moving, had only one year left on his contract and is already signed to a multi-year contract with the Cubs. Selig has already said that he does not like the idea of trading players for executives or coaches.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Byrd, who makes $6.5M in 2012, will turn 35 next August and has seen his OPS decline for 3 straight years to .719 in 2011. Expecting better in 2012 is a wish. He also had a .649 OPS vs lefties last year. We need a guy who can platoon with the Reddick-Kalish winner.

Jenks for Byrd could be worth the gamble.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Let me get this straight, you're exchanging David Ortiz for Marlin Byrd? That's essentially it isn't it? Byrd gonna give you 30/100? You disdain Ortiz and get Byrd, better get someone else too. Aramis Ramirez for example.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Byrd is a good player (It could be Byrd for Theo plus a few useful throw-ins); he would play RF IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Marlon Byrd from Cubs for Theo:
    [QUOTE]Byrd is a good player (It could be Byrd for Theo plus a few useful throw-ins); he would play RF IMO.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I could live with that as long as we have someone solid at DH. Getting Byrd and not keeping/replacing Ortiz with quality hitting is a bad idea.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about replacing Papi's offense with some actual quality 4/5 slot starters?

We lose 100-150 points on DH OPs, and can gain close to that back cheaply in RF with someone who can hit lefties well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

ANY RELATION TO LARRY ??????Wink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Marlon Byrd from Cubs for Theo:
    [QUOTE]How about replacing Papi's offense with some actual quality 4/5 slot starters? We lose 100-150 points on DH OPs, and can gain close to that back cheaply in RF with someone who can hit lefties well.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but I'm not convinced. Make that a 1/2/3 starter and I may bite.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, my philosophy is always to upgrade the rotation from the top or middle, not the bottom. Minimum, we should find a quality 3 starter for the 4 slot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

why would we want an old man in return for Theo?? Make the Cubs pay up. They wanted Theo then pay up. Thats it.

Sections
Shortcuts