Marmol for compensation?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Marmol for compensation?

Rotoworld notes tonight that Carlos Marmol and Soria are available for the right deal.

Wonder if getting Marmol from Chicago for the outstanding compensation issue is a possibility if viewed as a salary dump by Chicago?

No way it happens I suppose, but it would be interesting.  His K rate per inning is staggering (last year not as much).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: Marmol for compensation?

I would doubt that Theo would give him up only as compensation as I am guessing that he would want to get some prospects back for him in any type of trade.

So, maybe Marmol as compensation could be part of a deal where the Cubs get a prospect or two.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Looked up Carlos Marmol's strikeouts, certainly impressive.  Marmol, like any ML, cannot be looked at by the Red Sox and Cubs ONLY in reference to the compensation issue.  Both GM's are presumably trying to do the best for their respective teams and if the Red Sox are intent on having Marmol or whomever, e.g. Matt Garza, the teams can negotiate.  IMHO, Theo has a much greater up hill task with the Cubs than Ben does with the Sox, so deals are possible.  It looks like Theo and Jed Hoyer's task is to get rid of a lot of Contracts which their FO and fans do not see in the future, e.g. Garza, Dempster, Alfonso Soriano and Ben Cherington certainly has not obligation to bail out the Cubs. Very hard for the Cubs to rebuild until some of the Contracts are gone, which might be part of the reasons the Cubs have not signed Prince Fielder, although I would not want Prince as a building bloc if the Red Sox were in the 1B market anyway and I believe the Red Sox are going to be in great shape in the future, not only at the 1B position with Gonzalez, Youkilis, Salty and maybe Lavarnway, but also at the DH spot with those players.  Looks to me with the increased interleague play and limited number of players ML teams carry on their bench, it will be a significant advantage to teams who use their position players as the DH also.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Impressive K rate, but staggering walk rate.  It is 6.6/9 over the past three yeas, and 5.8 last year.  At $16.8M/2 for '12 and '13, I wouldn't take him for free.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Sox must have really wanted Theo out, without no prearrangement before he signed with the Cubs.

Yup.  Theo probably told the Cubs that Larry wanted him out.  That was basically the end of the leverage.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Probably true.

Also true is the walk rate and the salary, but boy he was lights-out for the Cubs in 09 and 10, regardless of some wildness. It would probably be part of a bigger deal, (although my suggestion for compensation was related to his salary which Chi would like to lose) but Id like to see him slot into the back of the Sox bullpen along with Melancon.  A couple of nice young arms.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Marmol for compensation?:
    Probably true. Also true is the walk rate and the salary, but boy he was lights-out for the Cubs in 09 and 10, regardless of some wildness. It would probably be part of a bigger deal, (although my suggestion for compensation was related to his salary which Chi would like to lose) but Id like to see him slot into the back of the Sox bullpen along with Melancon.  A couple of nice young arms.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

He really wasn't that lights-out in 2009.  He was really tough to hit, but he walked 7.9/9.  I don't remember ever seeing anyone that high.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

no no no no no no no. Go ask a Cubs fan what they think about Marmol then tell me if you want him. Marmol blows big leads like its his job.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Except for Garza going to the Cubbies for pitching is like going to Iran for aircraft parts. No way, no farm system there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

McNutt or Carpenter are the only viable compensation pitchers unless Theo decides he will gift the Sox, Garza to the Sox in exchange for a player or two.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Marmol for compensation? Heck yeah, but the Cubs won't go for it.

Sections
Shortcuts