Marvin Miller, A MLB fan's Worst Enemy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Marvin Miller, A MLB fan's Worst Enemy

How well-attended were the NFL scab games? the numbers are not the issue they were still attended and they will always be attended by fans of the game. Just like the rays Mon thru Thursday 15 to 18 k, weekend 18 to 22k Yankees or RS up near 30k and there are more like that than like the Sellouts(?) at Fenway. Fans will always attend look at the numbers for the minor leagues. Move those guys up and it has no affect on any teams attendance. Fans will never boycott to any effect on the teams.

[/QUOTE]

I said it would have been grim for 3 years... I cannot help it if you don't understand there is not a single balllayer today who would not be playing had the owners won that battle. 100% of them would be here and the fans would be to

[/QUOTE]

I cannot help it if you don't understand that there is not a single ballplayer today that would not be a member of the new union that would have been created had the owners won that battle.

[/QUOTE]

Surely attendance numbers are the only issue.  As long as the owners and players are raking in money do they care about the fans, the game, or anything else?  I think not, not most of them anyway.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

Re: Marvin Miller, A MLB fan's Worst Enemy

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

[QUOTE]

Surely attendance numbers are the only issue.  As long as the owners and players are raking in money do they care about the fans, the game, or anything else?  I think not, not most of them anyway.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  Attendance numbers are not the only issue.  The vast majority of revenue is generated by advertising and merchandising.  The Sox could go a whole season without selling a ticket, and still turn a profit on TV and radio rights alone.  (OK, perhaps that's an exaggeration, but you get the point).

To drive down ticket prices fans would have to (a) stop going to games, (b) stop listening/watching, and (c) stop buying products.  

If the Sox fielded a AAA team for a decade there would definitely be a drop-off in revenue from all three of those sources.  How much of a drop-off is hard to predict.  It would also be "counter-productive" (pun intended), because with lower revenues, management would be looking to cut costs, and the obvious approach to that is to lower payroll on the field.

To reduce player salaries in MLB, you have to hit all the teams, so that none are willing to pay these high salaries.  

But really, I have no problem with the high salaries.  I don't have a problem with high ticket prices either.  Going to a ballgame is a luxury; I can't afford it.  I listen on MLB radio, so their advertisers get my attention, and I pay $20 a year.  I buy a cap every 5-10 years, so they get $25 from me every few years.  I can give them that much for a summer's worth of entertainment.  Even a crappy team is worth that much to me.  If they can afford to pay their players $25 mil a year and they still turn a profit, that's not my problem.  (I'm not so happy about the exploitation of labor that goes into making my ballcap; but that's another issue).