Matsuzaka is a disgrace

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Matsuzaka is a disgrace

Jerry Remy stated that Matsuzaka's pitchers were no better than what was being thrown during batting practice.

I have to believe Francona is sick of this guy. I would love to be in his office tonight when he calls Theo in to talk about this trash pitcher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Re: Matsuzaka is a disgrace

At least he won't be a disgrace at 45 years old, like old sorry Tim Wakefield.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from winslow1191. Show winslow1191's posts

In Response to Re: Matsuzaka is a disgrace:
    All the money and hype aside, I can't help feeling a little sorry for Dice as a person.  He is obviously very sad and out of sorts.  He certainly has a load of pitching talent, but I think his head is so screwed up, he's homesick, culture-shocked, worried about his homeland, whatever, that he is just paralyzed, broken-hearted and unable to compete.  And unfortunately, it's severely damaging our team's chances.
    Posted by J-Straw65

C'mon, J-Straw.  This is his 4th year here.  He still doesn't talk to his teammates, has made no effort I've seen to try to learn the language, is a loner in the digout and a prima donna on the field.  No excuses for this dude, Dude.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

The thing abot MDice K is people talk about his great stuff. Ive never seen great stuff from him. He has ZERO command, its either 2 ft out of the zone or pinpoint in the middle of it. I dont think hes not trying, i just dont think he ever had the talent to be a big league pitcher. 
    Posted by jamesey271975

Totally agree. I have NEVER seen great stuff from him, and your point about not being able to locate JUST OFF THE PLATE is spot on, since all the great pitchers do that (Maddox the epitome). And for the life of me, I never understood what all the fuss was about his great assortment of pitches (giro ball?), because I haven't seen a single one he can consistently throw for a strike. What do you suppose the Sox Brass saw when they scouted/pursued him?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigld57. Show bigld57's posts

Doesnt anyone here blame his catcher Salty? This bozo has no feel for game calling or for batsmanship. Hes a big, strong, athletic moron!!  Salty killed Buchholz vs Yankees calling for curves & change ups galore Russell Martin just sat on it and drilled it, in Texas the same Salty called for slow curve and Kinsler knew it was coming and drilled it...Dice K threw 6 first pitch slow curves dead center (Saltys target) and the Rays were waiting on them! Damon did get a 91 mph fastball that was up, but it was in the outer part but Damon hooked it just good hitting after that Salty went curve change the whole game!! ANY pitcher MUST establish the fastball and locate them to both sides, up and down then and only then you start to mix in breaking balls and change ups thats why its called a CHANGE UP!!  your changing speed off your fastballs We shoulda signed Russell Martin & got rid of Tek & Wake salaries then Salty would be a back up
    Dice K needs to BE ALLOWED to be wild in the zone The Sox have forced him to throw strikes first and get ahead in counts which has stripped away his movement!! LEAVE HIM ALONE  in 2008 he was 18 and 3 with a 2.97 ERA and was knocked by the media for throwing too many balls SO WHAT??? no runs is
    ALL THAT MATTERS  18  and 3 whats so bad?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from winslow1191. Show winslow1191's posts

All the money and hype aside, I can't help feeling a little sorry for Dice as a person.  He is obviously very sad and out of sorts.  He certainly has a load of pitching talent, but I think his head is so screwed up, he's homesick, culture-shocked, worried about his homeland, whatever, that he is just paralyzed, broken-hearted and unable to compete.  And unfortunately, it's severely damaging our team's chances.
    Posted by J-Straw65

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Wake's finished alight, in everyway except a roster move. It's completely unprofessional to have Wakefield on the active roster.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Straw65. Show J-Straw65's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I am surprised so many are ready to dump him.  I say give him two or three more starts before deciding to dump him. If he continues to be bad that's all you can do is cut him because no one will be interested. Not like his trade value is going to change. Lackey, to me is a greater concern. Bringing him here we were all told he was the #2. Really??? Did any scout see him pitch before they brought him here? If so they should be fired. He is nothing more then a glorified batting practice pitcher. And what will you do to replace Dice-K? You have Wakefield in the wings for Dice K's spot in the rotation? WOW .. no wonder this team is going to continue to have problems.
    Posted by FNewhall65

Agreed.  Dice is an enigma and oft-times a train wreck, but we've seen him get it going real nice (even in the midst of this last horrid two year stretch, he pitched great when he came back from exile in the fall of 09).  Lackey, though, I just don't know what he has to get people out on a consistent basis.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ive been patient enough with this clown(Dice-K). trade him and offer to eat the rest of the 20mil owed to him. really, this guy refuses to talk in english, cant pitch consistantly to save his life, sits away from everyone on the bench and just seems like he'd rather be anywhere else than Boston. And Im sorry but with all due respect, Wake isnt that much better...This team has a ton of talent and everytime this guy takes the mound it seems all the energy leaves the ballpark...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

In Response to Re: Matsuzaka is a disgrace :
    In Response to Matsuzaka is a disgrace : I may agree if your english grammar was up to par with your thoughts.  Posted by readsocks[/QUOTE The English looks fine to me, expect yours ... the verb when faced with supposition is WERE, as in "WERE up to par with your thoughts" or "if I WERE a rich man.
    Posted by kayfbee

What is it that you 'expect yours' ? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

I could have sworn I was watching "Eight Men Out" tonight with the pitcher throwing every single pitch dead center of the plate. Not only does he suck but now shows no heart whatsoever. Horrible

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from potkas7. Show potkas7's posts

They have a large investment in Matsuzaka and are not about to throw it away.  Last night I thought, there's no way they can let him out there for his next scheduled start.  This morning my head is clearer.  He will make his next start and be on a very short leash.   I think it will take two more of these performances in a row to get him designated for assignment.
    Posted by winslow1191

In Intro to Finance the teach you the concept of "Sunk Costs."  The $100-Mil The Red Sox squandered on Dud-K is gone and there's no point in throwing any more good money after bad trying to rehabilitiate him.  He's underperformed since day 1 (And those early winning seasons had more to do with the Red Sox offence than his pitching)  Trade him if you can. Otherwise, CUT HIM LOOSE NOW!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

ummm...
    Mister all about ERA head
    Dice-K's ERA is nearly double Mr. Potatosaladhead's.

Leave it to softy:  every thread turns into a Wake-bashing tired old rant.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from markartis. Show markartis's posts

Unfortunately the Sox have no other viable options for the 5th starter.  DiceK will get a few more chances and if he doesn't turn it around then they'll designate him.  Wake doesn't look any better.  Aceves is totally unproven.  Sorry but this Sox team and it pitching staff might end up remembered as "looked good on paper".  15 games under .500 for April is not looking that ridiculous?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jim---k. Show jim---k's posts

Another head-case pitcher.  Why is everyone surprised?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from realbz. Show realbz's posts

If I may slightly alter your analogy:
    It's more like you tried a restaurant because your buddies raved about it.
    The first course wasn't bad.  It was actually quite OK.  Then everything after that got worse and worse.
    So you said, it must be a bad night.  So you went back.  Except this time everything was bad, even the same appetizer that you had the last time was bad.  As soon as you got home you also became attached to the toilet that's closest to the front door.
    Still you bravely and retardedly decided to give the place yet another try.  This time there was a cockroach crawling in your bread basket and some curly hair in your salad.  Yes, unfailingly, every coursed sucked.  As soon as you got home you also became attached alternately to that same toilet and the sink next to it.
    Beyond any reason, you decided to try it yet again.  Luckily, after finding a nice parking spot 8 blocks from the Bistro DiceK, you found the place was closed for good! 
    See, there is a happy ending after all.

This situation is very much like going to a restaurant you were told had this great chef.  You go try out some food one night and hey its pretty good.  So like a lot of people you go back and try it again and it all tastes like crap.  Ahhh must have just been a bad night so a you decide to give it another chance thinking it must have been a fluke.  This time it's just average not great not suckish.  So the question is do you keep going to the same restaurant or say damn I'm not wasting anymore time there.  Personally I'm tired of going to Matsuzaka's house of brilliant mediocrity.  Seems lately all he does is burn the food.  Fire the chef. 
    Posted by Since75

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeattleSouthie. Show SeattleSouthie's posts

Theo?? every GM out there wanted this guy. only the big market teams could afford or were willing to pay the posting fee and salary. they had to bid just for the rights to negotiate. the fact he hasnt pitched to expectations is something else.
    Posted by J-BAY

Exactly. You stick with the team you love, regardless and when stuff goes wrong - as in the Dice K situation - you hope the people in charge figure out how to move on, because in life, you move on. I loved last year's team because of how it battled through all the injuries and still won games. So - glory is a hollow, fleeting thing. Adversity defines character. We'll see what happens next. The Sox paid the money to this guy, he can't pitch at the major league level anymore - he did show he could now and then before - but not anymore. So - you move on without calling the guy a piece of "crap" or whatever. He just can't pitch at the major league level and that has been clear for some time and never more than last night. Maybe Wake can teach him the nuxie and he can salvage his career. But, I don't want to wait and watch anymore as various moves are made to rehab this guy. I'd rather see some kid up from the minors because even if the kid lost every other game - he'd still be better than Dice K and he'd be getting some experience. If the Sox ripped off an 8 game winning streak starting today, they'd be a .500. With the pitching as it is - do not hold your breath. They need to go on a prolonged stretch of winning two out of three for the next two months to dig out. In other words - a slog and people can either take the journey as fans, or bail out off the bandwagon. Even if they finish last - they are still my team, so I'm in either way. I just can't bear watching batting practice during a live game. It's just too much to ask.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingOSmakk. Show KingOSmakk's posts

Boston media and fans have hated on Dice-K since the FIRST DAY he joined the team! They called him overpaid, overrated, a bust before he ever did anything. Then, when his first two years he won a World Series, finished top3 in Cy Young voting, and had a 6-3 MLB playoff record, these same Boston media and fans were still hating on him! Now that Dice-K changed his entire pitching mechanics and training regimen that his coaches insisted on, he's regressed as a pitcher, and these same Boston media and fans are now HAPPY that he's finally the bust they claimed and hoped he would be all this time. Nevermind that John Lackey and DL Drew both make twice what Dice-K makes, and are both EPIC BUSTS. Boston has always had a major double standard in who it excuses and who it roasts. Dice-K was merely tolerated his first two years due to his success, but now it's open season on blasting him.  Muted silence: Lackey 3IP, 9ER. Up in arms: Dice-K 2IP, 7ER.
    Posted by Observer157

157:

Ok, I happily accept your assertion that Drew and Lackey are both underperforming jokes.  I do however, find it comical that you are claiming that the nations and it's media minions were hating on Daisucko even when he was good.  Laughable.

More instructive is the common denominator for all 3 ne'er do wells.

Can you spell T H E O????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Observer 157, on the money! Curt Young just got DiceK to change his pitching routine between starts. DiceK was solid in 2007 on the title team, marginal in 2008, and poor in 2009 and 2010 which can abe attributed some to injuries and trying to tun on him to change his Japanese training and preparation approach. The Red Sox share fault in DiceK's struggles after 2007 and 2008. but the bullpen yielded nine runs over seven innings to a team that had scored only 20 runs in its first nine games. The pitching problems run far deeper than Daisuke Matsuzaka. Hill, you fail to point out that Beckett was lights out in his last start, and Lester was also quite strong. Last night, Aceves was decent in a mop up role and has the ability to be a marinal bottom end starter. If Buch returns to anything close to 2010 form, the Red Sox will win the division. I want you to make a note of that Hill, as a concerned trolling Yankees fan.
    Posted by BaseballGM

If you had read even a small fraction of my 4,000 posts to this forum you would know that I am not a Yankee fan.

I certainly acknowledge that the Red Sox have recorded two quality starts in 10 games:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/league/al/sort/qualityStarts/order/true

For what it's worth, Red Sox starters this season have a 7.24 ERA in 51 innings while the bullpen has a 7.36 ERA in 33 innings:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=p&team=BOS&year=2011

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

Ive been patient enough with this clown(Dice-K). trade him and offer to eat the rest of the 20mil owed to him. really, this guy refuses to talk in english, cant pitch consistantly to save his life, sits away from everyone on the bench and just seems like he'd rather be anywhere else than Boston. And Im sorry but with all due respect, Wake isnt that much better...This team has a ton of talent and everytime this guy takes the mound it seems all the energy leaves the ballpark...
    Posted by southpaw777

While I think many fans in the Red Sox Nation will agree to your post, if the Sox previous MO's are any indication, Theo and Francona will continue to pitch Mats, and hope that some day Mats will turn it around and become the pitcher that Henry, via Theo, Francona, & Farrell thought Mats would be, and paid big bucks to.  Yet another big time bust....so far.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Don't forget that Matsuzaka has a "no trade" clause.  He will determine whether or not he is ever traded.  If he is designated for assignment or placed on waivers, Henry would have to pay his salary to play elsewhere like he did with Renteria, Penny, Smoltz and Lugo.  It's a "no win" situation without an easy solution.  Fans and media want to see him gone, but it will expensive and ultimately a PR disaster if and when it happens.  It's not the Sox fault, but no Japanese player will ever want to play in Boston in the future based on how Dice K (the National Treasure) and Okajima were handled and treated.  All of the goodwill and expansion of the fan base into the Pacific Rim will be gone. 
    Posted by WilcyMoore

Neither was handled or treated poorly in any way. The fan base has been rough on both at times but that comes with the profession. Some fans are rather harsh and negative, name call etc, but if you play in any sport on the pro level, a player has to develope a thick skin or find another way to make a living.  

Hetchinspete.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sand1990. Show sand1990's posts

Dice-K was horrific, but I think Francona leaves his pitchers in too long.  Usually, I can tell, within and inning or two, if the pitcher has it or not.  Last night, 2 on, no outs in the second inning, I would have had someone up! Don't wait until the game is out of reach.  At this point, the Sox can't afford to be giving games away.  You have to have a Plan B.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Completely agree with you. Wakefield was great and is involved with the charities in Boston but it is clearly time for him to go as well. The Matsusaka money is gone, maybe you can flip him for another bad pitcher contract and see what happens. This team has to get better and in a hurry before they dig a hole that they will get the bends trying to get out of !

I agree with most that say cut your losses. As far as the money goes it is gone anyway you look at it. Almost anyone on the mound in Pawtucket would be better right now. Also the Sox have got to stop playing nice with old Wakey. I know he's a great guy in the locker room and does a lot in the community. He deserves great credit for that and I applaud him for it. But that doesn't feed the bulldog on the field. Scott Atchison did a decent job last year and quite frankly deserves the spot in the bullpen. Lastly, has anyone noticed Youk seems to be taking pitches right down the middle. I know he is a patient hitter and draws a lot of walks but when your hitting cleanup you need to drive runs in. He seems to be letting some very hittable pitches go by.
    Posted by grabbo

Sections
Shortcuts