Matsuzaka is a disgrace

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigld57. Show bigld57's posts

Re: Matsuzaka is a disgrace

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=438fc775b536f8053362c29d4ae1308b&plckUserId=438fc775b536f8053362c29d4ae1308b">
    First: 11/16/2009
    Last: 4/12/2011

This MORON has no clue on pitch selection. Pitching 101 establish your fastballs locate to both sides of the plate, then up and down in the zone.
    Then you start to mix in breaking balls and change ups  Salty calls a game in reverse!!  He establishes changes & curves & mixes in a fastball WRONG!! After Damon did a good piece of hitting hooking an outside 91 mph fastball for a HR Salty did what he always does...slow curve after slow curve..in the 2nd inning Dice threw 5 straight change curves in the zone to 5 straight hitters that ripped them!  They were sitting on curves!! Salty did that to Buchholz who last year gave up 9 HR the whole year!! Ian Kinsler yawned before he hit Buchh high change out the other 3 bombs were off breaking pitches vs Yankees Buch again slow curve after slow curve Russell Martin knew what was cioming!! Buchholz can hit 96 with his 4 seam and 93-94 with his 2 seam yet barely used them because of MORON SALTY!!!!   Varitek called a great game for Beckett who dominated the Yankees  many fastballs, hard cutters then he mixed in the breaking balls a CHANGE UP  means you are CHANGING SPEED off of your FASTBALL  Anyone here agree SALTY STINKS calling a game?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I was in Toronto last year and you can tell from his demeanor that he is not comfortable here and I do not knoe if it was because he was pitching that nite but no one bothers with him on the team. Incidentally he was bombed that nite he pitched.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mom2497. Show mom2497's posts

It was Theo's worst mistake and Scott Boras' greatest scam.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jerryt100. Show Jerryt100's posts

What A train wreck.  I'm tired of his post game comments ("I let my team and the fans down"). Are you kidding? That was one of the most unprofessional major league starts I have ever witnessed. He showed no heart when they were pounding him. He just kept throwing 88 mph fastballs in the center of the plate. His body language showed he could care less. He is a bring down for the team. He's difficult to watch, and takes forever to throw a pitch. He's a cancer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanfromPA. Show soxfanfromPA's posts

I didn't think it was possible, but I like him better whe nhe was walking 8 batters a game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gradusad. Show gradusad's posts

Cut the losses and get him out of here.  He has not even come close to being a consistently average pitcher, much less the unhittable "gyro-ball" pitcher we all heard about so long ago.  Time to move on.  Anyone would be better than this.  I bet half the college pitchers out there could hold the Rays to fewer than six runs in an inning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernsox. Show southernsox's posts

Bring back oil can boyd...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeroyBrownn. Show LeroyBrownn's posts

Why do you assume that Dice will be "the guy he was in japan" just because you let him throw as much as he wants? 

He's not pitching to a bunch of short slap-hitters any more.

This isn't racial, but he's a novelty and nobody is fooled anymore.  Quite frankly, he doesn't know HOW to pitch in the MLB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Matsuzaka is a disgrace:
    [QUOTE]Observer 157, on the money! Curt Young just got DiceK to change his pitching routine between starts. DiceK was solid in 2007 on the title team, marginal in 2008, and poor in 2009 and 2010 which can abe attributed some to injuries and trying to tun on him to change his Japanese training and preparation approach. The Red Sox share fault in DiceK's struggles after 2007 and 2008. but the bullpen yielded nine runs over seven innings to a team that had scored only 20 runs in its first nine games. The pitching problems run far deeper than Daisuke Matsuzaka. Hill, you fail to point out that Beckett was lights out in his last start, and Lester was also quite strong. Last night, Aceves was decent in a mop up role and has the ability to be a marinal bottom end starter. If Buch returns to anything close to 2010 form, the Red Sox will win the division. I want you to make a note of that Hill, as a concerned trolling Yankees fan.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]
    If you had read even a small fraction of my 4,000 posts to this forum you would know that I am not a Yankee fan.

I certainly acknowledge that the Red Sox have recorded two quality starts in 10 games:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/league/al/sort/qualityStarts/order/true

For what it's worth, Red Sox starters this season have a 7.24 ERA in 51 innings while the bullpen has a 7.36 ERA in 33 innings:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=p&team=BOS&year=2011

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

[QUOTE]Ive been patient enough with this clown(Dice-K). trade him and offer to eat the rest of the 20mil owed to him. really, this guy refuses to talk in english, cant pitch consistantly to save his life, sits away from everyone on the bench and just seems like he'd rather be anywhere else than Boston. And Im sorry but with all due respect, Wake isnt that much better...This team has a ton of talent and everytime this guy takes the mound it seems all the energy leaves the ballpark...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

While I think many fans in the Red Sox Nation will agree to your post, if the Sox previous MO's are any indication, Theo and Francona will continue to pitch Mats, and hope that some day Mats will turn it around and become the pitcher that Henry, via Theo, Francona, & Farrell thought Mats would be, and paid big bucks to.  Yet another big time bust....so far.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]Don't forget that Matsuzaka has a "no trade" clause.  He will determine whether or not he is ever traded.  If he is designated for assignment or placed on waivers, Henry would have to pay his salary to play elsewhere like he did with Renteria, Penny, Smoltz and Lugo.  It's a "no win" situation without an easy solution.  Fans and media want to see him gone, but it will expensive and ultimately a PR disaster if and when it happens.  It's not the Sox fault, but no Japanese player will ever want to play in Boston in the future based on how Dice K (the National Treasure) and Okajima were handled and treated.  All of the goodwill and expansion of the fan base into the Pacific Rim will be gone. 
    Posted by WilcyMoore[/QUOTE]

Neither was handled or treated poorly in any way. The fan base has been rough on both at times but that comes with the profession. Some fans are rather harsh and negative, name call etc, but if you play in any sport on the pro level, a player has to develope a thick skin or find another way to make a living.  

Hetchinspete.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Actually, DiceK has been willing to learn "the way of the America" and it hasn't worked well. He was at his best in 2007. I think most Americans believe that the Japanese way is inferior. DiceK is young enough to recover marginal form. The real case is old Wakefield, who is too stubborn to realize he's washed up and too old for AL baseball. The NL might give a year in the resthome.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garryW. Show garryW's posts

Not to change the subject but the Mariners were down 7-0 last night to the Blue Jays in the bottom of the seventh, rallied and ended up winning. Why is it that I don't think we'll be seeing too many come from behind wins this year? As Yogi would say, Baseball is 90% half mental, and so far this year, these Sox are mental cases.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Daisuke Matsuzaka disappointed last night, but the bullpen yielded nine runs over seven innings to a team that had scored only 20 runs in its first nine games.

The pitching problems run far deeper than Daisuke Matsuzaka.

As a sidenote, last night Felix Hernandez surrendered as many runs as Matsuzaka did (although Hernandez went six innings before the Mariners stormed back from a 7-0 deficit to score two runs in the bottom of the ninth for an 8-7 win over the Blue Jays ... AL East teams have a 4-11 record against AL West teams so far this season).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingOSmakk. Show KingOSmakk's posts

I see his future...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from geezerinmn. Show geezerinmn's posts

He'll get another two or three starts, and if there's no improvement, they'll put him on the DL because of a strained shoulder/arm/elbow/back....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

they need to cut him,buy out his contract and move on.how can they pitch a guy who gets killed by the worst hitting team in baseball.plus he demoralizes the rest of the team.no one would miss him and i'm sure he has no friends.
    add wake and wheeler to the list.wakes finished and should just retire

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthTexasSoxFan. Show NorthTexasSoxFan's posts

Does he have an option?  A month in Pawtucket might get his attention, and at least he can't do any harm there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan0124. Show Patsfan0124's posts

Maybe we can keep Dice around to pitch BP to Youk and CC.  Could be money well spent in the long run

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kingdomcall. Show kingdomcall's posts

I dont understand how a player can play in the US for a period of four years and still not have a competent command of english at this stage. In a team sport communications is essential and Matsuzaka has not made the commitment. 

Its hard to believe any employer paying sombody a $52m contract have not demanded it. There are japanese players playing soccer in europe and they learn the language of the country they play in. Its utter baloney and its crazy that coaches communicate thro translators. Time to cut and run when the player does not make the effort. The old axiom there is no I in team comes to mind.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

For some reason this ADG has a real knack for starting threads that get many responses. It this a God-given gift or did he go to school for this skill? I've seen other threads that were full of statistics, thought, imagination, and insight, that went nowhere. It must be an art to be so magnetic and successful. Hats off to ADG.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeroyBrownn. Show LeroyBrownn's posts

Theo's boy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Hill, you do realize that those 10 game stats will be meaningless at year end. I'll bet you your crediblity that the Red Sox pen and starting pitching staff finished in the top half of the AL by season end. My guess is that you won't take that bet, and are simply a trolling concerned Yankee fan.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

Dice has never been the same since he played for Japan in the Worlds. Remeber the Sox's do have a new pitching coach.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gready. Show Gready's posts

I agree with Jamesy...Dice K was never all that good. Think about it.  He came here as this mythological being who could throw a "Gyroball".  He had a decent first year (14-10, I think), but rarely got out of the sixth inning.  The next year he had a great record (18-2?) but led the league in walks and was fortunate more than good.  Now, I think it's a combination of things: the league is on to him, he may be injured or not recovered from 2 years of injuries, and when you couple that with the fact that he was never all that good, what you have is mediocrity.  Test the trade waters, but I doubt anyone would want him.

Sections
Shortcuts