Matsuzaka is a disgrace

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from grabbo. Show grabbo's posts

Re: Matsuzaka is a disgrace

I agree with most that say cut your losses. As far as the money goes it is gone anyway you look at it. Almost anyone on the mound in Pawtucket would be better right now. Also the Sox have got to stop playing nice with old Wakey. I know he's a great guy in the locker room and does a lot in the community. He deserves great credit for that and I applaud him for it. But that doesn't feed the bulldog on the field. Scott Atchison did a decent job last year and quite frankly deserves the spot in the bullpen. Lastly, has anyone noticed Youk seems to be taking pitches right down the middle. I know he is a patient hitter and draws a lot of walks but when your hitting cleanup you need to drive runs in. He seems to be letting some very hittable pitches go by.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngparisians. Show youngparisians's posts

What you saw last night is what you will get for every Dice-K appearance. Low innings, high runs and an overused bullpen. Wakefield is too inconsistent for reliable bullpen duty. He's great for mop-up, that's about it.  So what happens when Beckett throws another clunker - and it will happen - and depletes the bullpen the night before Dice-K's next start?

I say trade/ DFA Dice-K and start Aceves.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Dice-K needs a change of scenery.  Regardless of what the problem is, you have to think pitching closer to home (west coast) and maybe on an NL team will bring out the best in him.    I am sure he is worried about what happened in Japan, he gave a million bucks to that relief effort.   It is a small country, and it is his home.

But he will never be a good pitcher in Boston again.  

Wake has value ... he goes out on any day and will take the ball for multiple innings.  You NEED a mop-up guy, an innings eater, for games like last night.   And he costs relatively little.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from elway37. Show elway37's posts

Dice K is not tradable for anything but a headache in return. The game has changed esp this early in the in the season. The bad teams have zero fans (low revenue) good teams or hopeful teams know he could be waived if not wait until he even does worse.
    The issue though is beyond pitching really only two runs that last night mattered against a rookie. Pitching is tough all across the division bats need to wake up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsjustagame. Show itsjustagame's posts

I'd be distracted too, knowing my mother's relatives are near Fukushima Dai-Ichi......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationRckyMtn. Show SoxNationRckyMtn's posts

People, ENOUGH with the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear distraction theory. I'm pretty sure Dice-K was useless well before that unfortunate tragedy.

He seems like a stubborn individual who had no desire to learn the ways of America. He wanted his millions, no different than anyone else.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Don't forget that Matsuzaka has a "no trade" clause.  He will determine whether or not he is ever traded.  If he is designated for assignment or placed on waivers, Henry would have to pay his salary to play elsewhere like he did with Renteria, Penny, Smoltz and Lugo.  It's a "no win" situation without an easy solution.  Fans and media want to see him gone, but it will expensive and ultimately a PR disaster if and when it happens.  It's not the Sox fault, but no Japanese player will ever want to play in Boston in the future based on how Dice K (the National Treasure) and Okajima were handled and treated.  All of the goodwill and expansion of the fan base into the Pacific Rim will be gone. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from v057296. Show v057296's posts

Cut him some slack

Yes, Dice has been a dissapointment and it was a bad move by the front office to get him but I was at the game last night and refused to boo him.  The guy is human and his mother-land just is going through one of biggest natural disasters in history...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklynKings. Show BrooklynKings's posts

Everyone is correct.  He needs to go.

But, I do wonder, there is something regarding culture differences that might have affected him (for ex. being thousand of miles away from home, Japanese baseballs being a bit smaller than MLB, nobody to "vent" to - he just has his translator)  This is not someone who came from a small town of Kansas...he came from a totally different culture.

But then again, Ichiro is a superstar! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingOSmakk. Show KingOSmakk's posts

Theo (or The-zero as we like to call him in my condo...) paid 2x what the next closest (NYY) competitor offered for Daisucko.

The fact that the Diva succeeded at all is a miracle.

His suckage is on The-zero's hands.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from larryfr1. Show larryfr1's posts

jamesey 271975 hits it right on sweet spot. this guy is a bum. never has shown me a thing -effort or ability!! most overrated Red Sock ever from Billy Consolo to the present. leave Wakefield out of this!! he's as class an act as this town has ever seen in sports-if you think he's pathetic check out what you see in the mirror!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from realbz. Show realbz's posts

In Response to Re: Matsuzaka is a disgrace:
    If I may slightly alter your analogy:
    It's more like you tried a restaurant because your buddies raved about it.
    The first course wasn't bad.  It was actually quite OK.  Then everything after that got worse and worse.
    So you said, it must be a bad night.  So you went back.  Except this time everything was bad, even the same appetizer that you had the last time was bad.  As soon as you got home you also became attached to the toilet that's closest to the front door.
    Still you bravely and retardedly decided to give the place yet another try.  This time there was a cockroach crawling in your bread basket and some curly hair in your salad.  Yes, unfailingly, every coursed sucked.  As soon as you got home you also became attached alternately to that same toilet and the sink next to it.
    Beyond any reason, you decided to try it yet again.  Luckily, after finding a nice parking spot 8 blocks from the Bistro DiceK, you found the place was closed for good! 
    See, there is a happy ending after all.

[QUOTE]This situation is very much like going to a restaurant you were told had this great chef.  You go try out some food one night and hey its pretty good.  So like a lot of people you go back and try it again and it all tastes like crap.  Ahhh must have just been a bad night so a you decide to give it another chance thinking it must have been a fluke.  This time it's just average not great not suckish.  So the question is do you keep going to the same restaurant or say damn I'm not wasting anymore time there.  Personally I'm tired of going to Matsuzaka's house of brilliant mediocrity.  Seems lately all he does is burn the food.  Fire the chef. 
    Posted by Since75[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan1967. Show soxfan1967's posts

Dice-K's contract does not permit demotion to AAA or for that matter the GCL where he belongs.  Time to say goodbye and wish him nothing but the best.  If he can go pitch well for the Dodgers or Mets goes 200 innings (in a single year), ERA less than 4.0 then good for him. 

Don't fault Boras with this contract.  'Sox management wanted this guy and paid a posting fee in excess of $50 million.  Yankees got stuck with Kei Igawa (spelling?) and were smart enough to bury him in the minors....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeattleSouthie. Show SeattleSouthie's posts

[QUOTE]Theo?? every GM out there wanted this guy. only the big market teams could afford or were willing to pay the posting fee and salary. they had to bid just for the rights to negotiate. the fact he hasnt pitched to expectations is something else.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Exactly. You stick with the team you love, regardless and when stuff goes wrong - as in the Dice K situation - you hope the people in charge figure out how to move on, because in life, you move on. I loved last year's team because of how it battled through all the injuries and still won games. So - glory is a hollow, fleeting thing. Adversity defines character. We'll see what happens next. The Sox paid the money to this guy, he can't pitch at the major league level anymore - he did show he could now and then before - but not anymore. So - you move on without calling the guy a piece of "crap" or whatever. He just can't pitch at the major league level and that has been clear for some time and never more than last night. Maybe Wake can teach him the nuxie and he can salvage his career. But, I don't want to wait and watch anymore as various moves are made to rehab this guy. I'd rather see some kid up from the minors because even if the kid lost every other game - he'd still be better than Dice K and he'd be getting some experience. If the Sox ripped off an 8 game winning streak starting today, they'd be a .500. With the pitching as it is - do not hold your breath. They need to go on a prolonged stretch of winning two out of three for the next two months to dig out. In other words - a slog and people can either take the journey as fans, or bail out off the bandwagon. Even if they finish last - they are still my team, so I'm in either way. I just can't bear watching batting practice during a live game. It's just too much to ask.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Observer 157, on the money! Curt Young just got DiceK to change his pitching routine between starts. DiceK was solid in 2007 on the title team, marginal in 2008, and poor in 2009 and 2010 which can abe attributed some to injuries and trying to tun on him to change his Japanese training and preparation approach. The Red Sox share fault in DiceK's struggles after 2007 and 2008.

but the bullpen yielded nine runs over seven innings to a team that had scored only 20 runs in its first nine games.

The pitching problems run far deeper than Daisuke Matsuzaka.

Hill, you fail to point out that Beckett was lights out in his last start, and Lester was also quite strong. Last night, Aceves was decent in a mop up role and has the ability to be a marinal bottom end starter. If Buch returns to anything close to 2010 form, the Red Sox will win the division. I want you to make a note of that Hill, as a concerned trolling Yankees fan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeattleSouthie. Show SeattleSouthie's posts

It's not so much a disgrace as it is an inability to play at the level necessary to win. There's nothing disgraceful about not being able to play anymore. Now, stupidity is another matter. The Sox can be accused of that in hindsight for doling out the money they did to get the guy in the first place - oh well! It's not our $$$.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kayfbee. Show kayfbee's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Matsuzaka is a disgrace : I may agree if your english grammar was up to par with your thoughts. 
    Posted by readsocks[/QUOTE

The English looks fine to me, expect yours ... the verb when faced with supposition is WERE, as in "WERE up to par with your thoughts" or "if I WERE a rich man.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingOSmakk. Show KingOSmakk's posts

He's a diva, which is just shorthand for saying he's a "sensitive genius".

I'd send him to Seattle for 3 jumbo Starbucks latte's so he can room with Itchy. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefedsox. Show thefedsox's posts

He is, and if he wants to honor his reputation, his few remaining fans and any chance at playing in MLB again, he should work hard to pitch better. I think the team doesn't owe him another start. He has to prove he can do the job out there or he won't be pitching again in the uniform.

The only reason I wouldn't outright release him is that I don't think he is as bad as that performance last night. It almost seems like he purposefully left all those pitches middle-in, out of blind faith even though he knew there wouldn't be success. He might not be good again until September, but if he comes back then, or has a few sucessful months in the bullpen, its better than nothing.

It could be he just wants to nibble and throw 200 pitches in a game.  That just doesn't work over here. But there's little risk in just bringing him to mop-up, barring a better option.  An injury to give him time in the minors and a DL stint would be better. So would some weird psychological diagnosis that gives him time off, to go back to Japan or whatever.

The team actually has bigger problems right now anyway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingOSmakk. Show KingOSmakk's posts

[QUOTE]Boston media and fans have hated on Dice-K since the FIRST DAY he joined the team! They called him overpaid, overrated, a bust before he ever did anything. Then, when his first two years he won a World Series, finished top3 in Cy Young voting, and had a 6-3 MLB playoff record, these same Boston media and fans were still hating on him! Now that Dice-K changed his entire pitching mechanics and training regimen that his coaches insisted on, he's regressed as a pitcher, and these same Boston media and fans are now HAPPY that he's finally the bust they claimed and hoped he would be all this time. Nevermind that John Lackey and DL Drew both make twice what Dice-K makes, and are both EPIC BUSTS. Boston has always had a major double standard in who it excuses and who it roasts. Dice-K was merely tolerated his first two years due to his success, but now it's open season on blasting him.  Muted silence: Lackey 3IP, 9ER. Up in arms: Dice-K 2IP, 7ER.
    Posted by Observer157[/QUOTE]

157:

Ok, I happily accept your assertion that Drew and Lackey are both underperforming jokes.  I do however, find it comical that you are claiming that the nations and it's media minions were hating on Daisucko even when he was good.  Laughable.

More instructive is the common denominator for all 3 ne'er do wells.

Can you spell T H E O????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScottenJ. Show ScottenJ's posts

The year he won 17 games his pitch counts were too high and he rarely made it past the sixth inning but he won 17 games! The Red Sox then set out to fix him and completely broke him. Dice-K can’t pitch to contact, his stuff isn’t that good. He is “effective” when he nibbles the corners and frustrates the hitters by not giving them anything to hit. Conventional wisdom in baseball is throw strikes, that doesn’t work for Dice-K. Let him do it his way, let him run up the pitch count and maybe you can still get something from him. Force him to do it the MLB way and you end up with a guy who isn’t even an effective fifth starter. What a waste.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 667neighborofthebeast. Show 667neighborofthebeast's posts

Calm down.

The Japanese are very family oriented. Almost all of his family is in Japan.

Do you you think maybe he has other things on his mind right now? Would you blame anyone for having such extraordinary events affect his performance?

This is the major leagues, where the opposition makes you pay for even the smallest lapse of concentration.

Sending him to Pawtucket would make sense, but he would probably not clear wavers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I predicted mediocrity for Dice-K this season. I just hope he raises his game to that level.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

He had a very good 2007 on the championship team. His next year was marginal and he's struggled in 2009 and 2010 and spring training and early this year. Unlike Wakefield, DiceK is young enough to regain at least some marginal form. Valentine was pulling for the Yankees and was gloating about a home run against Beckett breaking the Red Sox backs. DiceK will be DL'd and rehabbed at least one more time before they give up on him like the Rangers gave up on Salty. Aceves is quite capable to be a marginal starter.

The guys who is a disgrace is Tim Wakefield. He should be booed off the field. He has no chance of throwing that goofball in any meaningful roster role and is worse than Lowell in 2010 in wasting a roster spot. The line about how little he makes is completely irrelevant to how old and lousy he is. DiceK has been lousy since 2009, but he has some chance of returning to a marginal starter form. Wakefield is washed up and the fans should turn their oriental rage to the fat man who has been throwing girls softball batting practice at  a near AARP age.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Completely agree with you. Wakefield was great and is involved with the charities in Boston but it is clearly time for him to go as well. The Matsusaka money is gone, maybe you can flip him for another bad pitcher contract and see what happens. This team has to get better and in a hurry before they dig a hole that they will get the bends trying to get out of !

[QUOTE]I agree with most that say cut your losses. As far as the money goes it is gone anyway you look at it. Almost anyone on the mound in Pawtucket would be better right now. Also the Sox have got to stop playing nice with old Wakey. I know he's a great guy in the locker room and does a lot in the community. He deserves great credit for that and I applaud him for it. But that doesn't feed the bulldog on the field. Scott Atchison did a decent job last year and quite frankly deserves the spot in the bullpen. Lastly, has anyone noticed Youk seems to be taking pitches right down the middle. I know he is a patient hitter and draws a lot of walks but when your hitting cleanup you need to drive runs in. He seems to be letting some very hittable pitches go by.
    Posted by grabbo[/QUOTE]