Matt Garza in the trade market...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Matt Garza in the trade market...

... according to this tweet from ESPN's Buster Olney:

http://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN/status/141233257516773377

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Matt Garza in the trade market...

Via mlbtraderumors, the Cubs wanted bunch of prospects in return.   That is out of Boston's hand!!

But if Chicago says, lets drop the compensation deal, and take Weiland, Iggy and a mid-prospects.  That may work!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It seems to make sense, the Cubs are rebuilding and Garza back to the AL east for prospects means the cubs keep their farm intact and add a few players Theo knows. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Garza for theo comp, and renaudo?  Add Lars?  I would give them theo comp, renaudo, plus 1-2 fringe guys like lowrie, lars anderson, weiland, etc, but not the cream of the farm system other than renaudo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Competitor. But I also said that bout lackey last offseason.

Friends dont let friends eat fried chicken in the clubhouse.
    Fish all year!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Wedgie is a joke! Garza isn't worth more than 1 top prospect already blocked. No way would I pay Ranaudo for 2 years of Garza. Garza has high mileage and is a 2nd tier starter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sti328. Show sti328's posts

Garza is alright, he could fill Wake or Lack's shoe. He can pitch in AL East thats for sure. I do not believe he worths 2 prospect either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

sure garza is worth two prospects. just depends upon which two.

the young SS at pawtucket appears to be more of a national league type shortstop than he projects in the american league.  if he can only hit .240 in triple A he might be a great candidate to field great and hit 8th in an NL lineup and get pinch hit for just about every close game.  he is going to have to hit much better (pretty quickly) to project as a hitter in a red sox lineup.

not sure about ranaudo, but right now he is only a single A pitcher with "potential".  he could turn out to be great or he could turn out to be andrew miller (or worse).

both of these prospects for theo and garza would be good for me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

no way i give the cubs top prospects for garza. he is good and i would take him, but not for top prospects. i would send them weiland and lars anderson and they give us garza to complete the compensation for theo. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Garza would be good, but I doubt the price. We might have an inside track because of the compensation issue. Could be we could get him for slightly less that other teams because of that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

As part of compensation for Inepstein (a true joke), Red Sox should offer Doubrant or Weiland and one other 2nd tier blocked position prospect.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Sound alike everyone is on the same page here....but would the Cubs bite these deals?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

In Response to Re: Matt Garza in the trade market...:
    Sound alike everyone is on the same page here....but would the Cubs bite these deals?
    Posted by GoUconn13

Selig should make them bite on a lesser deal, since he allowed Theo to walk before teams could agree; or he should make them take back any crapy player boston gets as compensation!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

I wouldn't object to him being in the Sox rotation if the price was right.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

no way i give the cubs top prospects for garza. he is good and i would take him, but not for top prospects. i would send them weiland and lars anderson and they give us garza to complete the compensation for theo. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

And this is why if you were a GM, no one would ever trade with you.  If all you offer is Lars Anderson and Kyle Weiland, you would be lucky to get Jason Marquis back in return.

If 2 years of Shaun Marcum (3.77ERA, 1.216 WHIP, 2.64K/BB) is worth Brett Lawrie, then certainly two years of Matt Garza (3.83 ERA, 1.303 WHIP 2.41K/BB) is worth at least one top prospect.  They’re basically the same pitcher.

If the Sox want Garza, expect to give up Middlebrooks, Iglesias or Lavarnway.  The Cubs need Middlebrooks the most of these three.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Please don't give up Middlebrooks.  The Sox need him, too, for 2013 and beyond.

But if Iglesias would land Garza, along with no further compensation from the Cubbies for stealing away Theo, then I think you have to do it.  The Sox need Garza more than Iglesias, who is a year closer to proving he cannot hit ML pitching.  And I don't even like Garza.  I dread watching him spit 49 times between each pitch, like I dread getting a 90 mph fastball directly on the boniest part of my shin.

Beckett
    Lester
    Buccholz
    Garza
    Aceves (or Oswalt/Buehrle)

would be pretty strong.  At least Garza pitches a full season, and is ALE tested.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Please don't give up Middlebrooks.  The Sox need him, too, for 2013 and beyond. But if Iglesias would land Garza, along with no further compensation from the Cubbies for stealing away Theo, then I think you have to do it.  The Sox need Garza more than Iglesias, who is a year closer to proving he cannot hit ML pitching.  And I don't even like Garza.  I dread watching him spit 49 times between each pitch, like I dread getting a 90 mph fastball directly on the boniest part of my shin. Beckett Lester Buccholz Garza Aceves (or Oswalt/Buehrle) would be pretty strong.  At least Garza pitches a full season, and is ALE tested.
    Posted by parhunter1

If I could get Matt Garza for Middlebrooks straight up, I would do it yesterday, but post-date it so it looked like I did it 3 days ago.  That's just how I roll.

And Middlebrooks might turn out fine, but his K/BB numbers in the minors are not all that appealing to me. 

The Sox can survive without Middlebrooks if need be.  Kolbrin Vitek and Gerin Cecchini might be along by 2014.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Don't know enough about Vitek and Cecchini to feel comfortable with counting on them as future 3B, especially when it comes to defense.  Middlebrooks could well be playing 3B for the Sox in July, after Youk is traded for the pitching the Sox need at the July trade deadline.  That is why I don't want to see him traded now.  As for his K/BB ratio, I really like the guys who walk more than strikeout, but they are few and far between.  Many the slugger has a K/BB ratio about like Middlebrooks.

On the other hand, I will be very surprised if Iglesias is the starting SS come July.  And I have a very strong sense that Bogaerts will actually establish himself as the better SS next season.  Iglesias has the glove, for sure.  But Bogaerts, who is younger, has quite the glove, and more hitting potential, IMO.  So I would not be concernced to see Iglesias be the one to go for Garza.

But I do see your point, and agree in premise.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Do not offer Iggy for Garza. Offer Lowrie. Garza has high mileage and is a reject for a reason.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

He would be a good addition the Sox lineup - especially since he is a proven winner in the AL East.  He was only 10-10 with a loser franchise last year but had an ERA of 3.32 with a bit better than a 3-1 K to Walk ratio who logged 198 innings without going on the DL - something Sox pitchers have trouble doing.  Sox are looking for a 4-5 starter - he fits the bill nicely.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

It's fine if they want to get Garza, but there has to be a "spitting clause" in his contract. I'm amazed no one has mentioned that to him yet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Don't know enough about Vitek and Cecchini to feel comfortable with counting on them as future 3B, especially when it comes to defense.  Middlebrooks could well be playing 3B for the Sox in July, after Youk is traded for the pitching the Sox need at the July trade deadline.  That is why I don't want to see him traded now.  As for his K/BB ratio, I really like the guys who walk more than strikeout, but they are few and far between.  Many the slugger has a K/BB ratio about like Middlebrooks. On the other hand, I will be very surprised if Iglesias is the starting SS come July.  And I have a very strong sense that Bogaerts will actually establish himself as the better SS next season.  Iglesias has the glove, for sure.  But Bogaerts, who is younger, has quite the glove, and more hitting potential, IMO.  So I would not be concernced to see Iglesias be the one to go for Garza. But I do see your point, and agree in premise.
    Posted by parhunter1

par,
    Here's the skinny from soxprospects.com All three are considered "good prospects"...Cecchini might be the best but has had issues with injury's...

Ceccini
    Born: April 20, 1991
    Lake Charles, LA
    Height: 6-3
    Weight: 215
    Bats: Left
    Throws: Right
    Drafted: 4th round, 2010
    How Acquired: Draft
    High School: Barbe High School (LA)
    ETA: 2015

MLB Comparison: Chase Headley

Scouting Report: Tall and athletic frame, above-average all-around tools. Sweet swing from the left side. Excellent batspeed and hip rotation in swing mechanics. Upward swing path through hitting zone and creates solid extension to produce backspin when squaring offerings up. Shows ability to drive the ball to all fields with authority. Plus power potential. Solid-average speed, but not likely to be a factor as he continues to physically develop. Played shortstop and second base in high school, but has begun to transition to third base as a professional. Light on his feet, soft hands, a plus arm. High baseball IQ. Fell to Boston in the 4th round, but had been projected as a first-round pick prior to 2010 before missing most of the 2010 season with an ACL injury.
    http://www.soxprospects.com/players/cecchini-garin.htm

Vitek
    Born April 1, 1989
    Bryan, OH
    Height 6-2
    Weight 195
    Bats Right
    Throws Right
    Drafted 1st round, 2010
    How Acquired Draft
    College: Ball State
    High School: Bryan HS (OH)
    ETA: Late 2013

MLB Comparison: Michael Young

Scouting Report: Thin, athletic build with room to grow. Polished hitting mechanics. Smooth, compact level swing with quick wrists. Quiet on pitch approach and fluid load. Projects as a plus hitter for average. Below-average present power, but projects to have average to solid-average MLB power with physical maturation. Will have to increase loft in swing path to hit more home runs, but produces good backspin presently when he squares pitches up. Solid plate discipline, but can get too far front with hands at times causing him to roll over fastballs. Slightly-above-average speed. Defense is a question mark. Played second base during his junior year at Ball State, but Boston moved him to third base as a pro. Does not look natural at third base. Footwork isn't fluid and reactions can be sluggish. Not overly light on his feet. Despite having a pitchers arm strength, throws tend to fade and he can have trouble with his throwing mechanics. Most likely best suited for the outfield as his bat continues to develop.
    http://www.soxprospects.com/players/vitek-kolbrin.htm

Middlebrooks
    Born: September 9, 1988
    Texarkana, TX
    Height: 6-4
    Weight: 200
    Bats: Right
    Throws: Right
    Drafted: 5th round, 2007
    How Acquired: Draft
    High School: Liberty-Eylau HS (TX)
    ETA: 2013

MLB Comparison: Scott Rolen

Scouting Report: Solid all-around athlete with ideal third baseman frame that has filled out since signing. Despite added weight has maintained athleticism. Plus bat speed with improving upward plane through the hitting zone. Hits the ball hard with backspin when he squares it up. Projects for plus power to all fields at the major league level. Improving bat control and pitch recognition. Aggressive hitter. Needs to learn to be a bit more selective as he progresses through the upper minors. Can over-extend arms during swing, which causes him to be susceptible on the inner third. Must work to improve with hitting inside the baseball in this area to produce average-to-better contact and increase hitting zones. Will strikeout, but improvement closing hole on inner third will help mitigate. Offensive inconsistencies stem from tendency to over-pull during stretches and wrapping the head of the bat around the ball. At best when looking up the middle and using the whole field. Plus-to-better arm. Light on feet defensively with strong anticipation, reactions, and first step. Solid footwork and stays square to the ball. Can stand to improve range to his left by stabbing less at the ball and taking another step or continuing to become comfortable throwing on the move. Rounding towards a plus defender. Hard worker that makes adjustments. Just beginning to learn what he can do as a baseball player. Projects as an everyday third baseman at the big league level with above-average offensive potential during peak seasons.
    http://www.soxprospects.com/players/middlebrooks-will.htm

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Garza is emotional, but Bobby V can handle him ... I think he would flourish on this team.  Give them Iggy and another prospect like Anderson.   Let's do it!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Yes, Kim, he spits like a cobra ... obnoxious at times, especially when he gets nervous.   The camera loves to zoom in on his face when he starts spitting too.  But if he wins, he can spit all he wants.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

In Response to Matt Garza in the trade market...:
    ... according to this tweet from ESPN's Buster Olney: http://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN/status/141233257516773377
    Posted by hill55

hill, at this point and with all the talk about this lack of compensation on the part of the Cubs.  I would be happy just to get Garza in a trade.  Maybe a couple youngsters like Reddick, Anderson and/or Wieland or Doubront for Theo's services.

Sections
Shortcuts