Matt Garza rumors: Rangers, Indians, Red Sox, Cardinals....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Matt Garza rumors: Rangers, Indians, Red Sox, Cardinals....

The Chicago Cubs have informed right hander Matt Garza that he will likely be traded after contract talks failed to end with an extension according to a report from Jon Heyman of CBSSports. Garza has received interest from the Rangers, Indians, Red Sox and Cardinals.

Texas and Cleveland seem to be clear players while Boston's interest might depend somewhat on the return schedule of injured star Clay Buchholz, which is unclear. St. Louis is believed by others to be a stealth player in the derby for the red-hot righthander......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Matt Garza rumors: Rangers, Indians, Red Sox, Cardinals....

if we want to continue to be a first place team, we need a starter and garza is probably our best bet. Proven in the AL east, top of the rotation guy, 29 years old. Package doubront and prospects for him , he takes doubronts spot. 

Lester

Buchholz

Garza

Lackey

Dempster

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

A starter, and after the last 2 days minor league hitting clinic, another bat. Third base preferred. Thank you Ben! Joe

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

if we want to continue to be a first place team, we need a starter and garza is probably our best bet. Proven in the AL east, top of the rotation guy, 29 years old. Package doubront and prospects for him , he takes doubronts spot. 

Lester

Buchholz

Garza

Lackey

Dempster

You are out of your mind. Doubront is on the verge of having a breakout season ( who only makes $500k ) and you want to trade him for a 2 month rental . Thank goodness you're not the GM ....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I have consistently disagreed with the notion of acquring Garza, but am changing my mind based on the news about Buchholz.  In extra bases Peter Abraham says it is unlikely Buchholz will start a MLB game in July.  Whatever his injury is, it is lingering, and there is no suggestion of forward progress. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Lester

Buchholz

Garza

Lackey

Dempster

Why would you trade Dubie for a two month rental?

I know I was not a Doubie supporter early on but he's pitched well and he's penciled  in to start Friday night against the Yankees. He has become an important cog for the Sox.

If I could get Garza for Lester--I would make that move. lester has an option after this season and the Cubs could flip him easier to another team for more prospects with that option. Make the trade this week and see what happens.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

From what I'm reading Rangers offered Mike Olt so far, so have to believe Middlebrooks would be part of the deal if Sox get involved.
    Now decision time for Ben, Olt is having a terrible year at Triple AAA, Middlebrooks was struggling at the Major League level. Doing so-so at Triple AAA, have to rely on the Scouts and evaluators. Your basically getting a rental, for possibly and impact player for the future, who is having a tough year.

Card swill look internally before they give away any Prospects. Thats why they are always a well stacked team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

first of all garza would not be a 2 month rental, we would extend him if we are able to aqcuire him. we have the money and he is worth extending. fyi doubront is 6-3 with a 3.91 and a whip of 1.41, not much of a breakout. the reason why i say include doubront in the trade is cuz we would need to open up a spot in the rotation. Ideally we would get rid of dempster, give his spot to garza and keep doubront in the 5 spot. (trade prospects for garza). problem is, i dont think any team would take dempster given his contract and how much he sucks. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Garza isn't a true ace, he's a #3 maybe a #2 in his good years.  we have plenty of those guys know.  We have depth we just don't have top of the rotation talent to lead us in the playoffs.  Garza does nothing to change that.  

It's bullpen or bust for me.  If the right deal was there I'd take an ace (but I'm not betting on it) Otherwise I hope the Buccholz is healthy at the end of the year and Lackey can be healthy down the stretch as well.  If those two are healthy come october....I'd be pretty happy with going #1 #2 with 2 out of three from Lester/Doubront/Dempster going #3 #4. 

At the end of the day if we have a stronger bullpen down the stretch we are going to win games.  The starting pitching performed overall as a unit but the bullpen has been very dissapointing. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

You dont trade Doubront if we all not sure when Bucholtz is returning back to the team.  I rather to trade Dempster than Doubront!!!  But it is too late now cuz Dempster's contract is guarantee for two years.  That is the biggest mistake by Ben.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

You dont trade Doubront if we all not sure when Bucholtz is returning back to the team.  I rather to trade Dempster than Doubront!!!  But it is too late now cuz Dempster's contract is guarantee for two years.  That is the biggest mistake by Ben.

Really Dempster a mistake? he was paid to pitch #3 and he's.....well pitched like a #3.  Our probelms with the starting pitching this year stem from a lack of consistency at the top of the rotation.  Yes the #3-#5 guys have stepped it up but I'm not going to blame any of them for not pitching like a #1.

And never underestimate the value of starting pitching at the trade dealine.  The Sox would likely easily be able to trade a guy like Dempster the issue would be what we could get back. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

The Chicago Cubs have informed right hander Matt Garza that he will likely be traded after contract talks failed to end with an extension according to a report from Jon Heyman of CBSSports. Garza has received interest from the Rangers, Indians, Red Sox and Cardinals.

Texas and Cleveland seem to be clear players while Boston's interest might depend somewhat on the return schedule of injured star Clay Buchholz, which is unclear. St. Louis is believed by others to be a stealth player in the derby for the red-hot righthander......

I wouldn't give Chicago our bat boy for 2 month rental....... No ! no ! no!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Sox should not pick up any rentals and give up the farm....We have pitchers and if we don't win this year ....so be it !!!! Not the end of the world. Life goes on...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He's making 10,250,000, this year, have to be believe he's going to want 15+ in coming years. At least 3 years.
    I'm sure if a Trade is made, you almost have to give an extension. Garza then holds all the cards.

Rather work out a deal with Ellsbury, you know what you got.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

He's making 10,250,000, this year, have to be believe he's going to want 15+ in coming years. At least 3 years.
    I'm sure if a Trade is made, you almost have to give an extension. Garza then holds all the cards.

I am inclined to say if the Sox have all these prospects and they throw them up against the opposing teams in the League they are bound to find 2 to 3 that will have success. They should be able to compete with what they have. Look at the Angels and the Dodgers--they've spent all this money and have learned the same lessons the Sox have.

Garza doesn't get you a pick if he leaves just like Ells doesn't get a team taking him in trade now. I would be inclined to go after Lee or  Hamels or a guy like Norris with Houston or a pitcher on another team that's fallen out of the race that has a year or two of captivity.

There are people out there like Lester that have faded in prominence but might have the desire to have a chance to make it to the playoffs.  James Shields--whatever it may cost--would be a choice of mine if we are looking at a trade. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I heard on a radio talk show in SanAantonio that Garza may be on the PED list of players about to be suspended.

I have not read anything with his name mentioned, so maybe it was bogus.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Hopefully BenC has done his homework--it would be like Theo to stick it to the Sox if he could.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

MLBTradeRumors:

"(David) Kaplan (of CSN Chicago) is hearing that Garza will be moved by Saturday....

A second "significant industry source" told Kaplan that the Rangers, Blue Jays and Indians are all involved in talks for Garza, but that the Cardinals are the dark horse in the pursuit of Garza."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I hope Ben doesn't overpay for Garza and keeps in mind that Garza is #3 starter at best who only will walk away at the end of this year.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

I am inclined to say if the Sox have all these prospects and they throw them up against the opposing teams in the League they are bound to find 2 to 3 that will have success. They should be able to compete with what they have. Look at the Angels and the Dodgers--they've spent all this money and have learned the same lessons the Sox have.

Garza doesn't get you a pick if he leaves just like Ells doesn't get a team taking him in trade now. I would be inclined to go after Lee or  Hamels or a guy like Norris with Houston or a pitcher on another team that's fallen out of the race that has a year or two of captivity.

There are people out there like Lester that have faded in prominence but might have the desire to have a chance to make it to the playoffs.  James Shields--whatever it may cost--would be a choice of mine if we are looking at a trade. 

You would make a great GM......whatever it may cost...... Really smart thinking.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If I could get Garza for Lester--I would make that move. lester has an option after this season and the Cubs could flip him easier to another team for more prospects with that option. Make the trade this week and see what happens.\

Lester's 2014 club option is voided if he is traded.

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beezer. Show beezer's posts

if u want to go to w.s. - forget about garza, the human bandaid, if serious lee. sox need bat & another rp b4 a sp. busch-lack-les-doubs-dem will get u there, workman 6th

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

first of all garza would not be a 2 month rental, we would extend him if we are able to aqcuire him. we have the money and he is worth extending. fyi doubront is 6-3 with a 3.91 and a whip of 1.41, not much of a breakout. the reason why i say include doubront in the trade is cuz we would need to open up a spot in the rotation. Ideally we would get rid of dempster, give his spot to garza and keep doubront in the 5 spot. (trade prospects for garza). problem is, i dont think any team would take dempster given his contract and how much he sucks. 

You cant say we WILL extend him if we acquire him. If Garza knows hes one of the top arms on the market this year, which he will be, he will go to FA and let teams bid on him. Hes looking for an Anibal Sanchez type deal. Hes a 2 month renal and a middle of the rotation arm who has been injured a lot the last few years. is it POSSIBLE we could get him if we are the highest bidder? sure, but thats no where near guarenteed.

You would be giving up a 25yr old pitcher who has pitched like a TOTR starter. For the last 2 months (11 starts) he has a 2.70ERA, averages over 6IP per outing, opponents are hitting .220BA .301OBP .367SLG .668OPS and hes under control for 4+ more years.

The Cubs are said to want top prospects. Your not going to get him unless you part with some top names. If its not a lefit ace type, then BC should not do it. WE need BP help a lot more and if there is a upgrade on the left side of the IF that makes sense, then maybe. Our rotation and our starting depth will be fine.

Sections
Shortcuts