Matt Kemp? Really?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Matt Kemp? Really?

All I said was that statement was irrelevant. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

The way things look for the outfield-----we either DFA everyone but JBJ and give Betts, Coyle and Brentz a chance to win jobs. Brentz is already on the 40--I know he is currently injured--he'll be back soon.

I know Corey Brown has 9 homers and 25 RBI's---that's more power than our entire OF has currently, I think??

Ryan Roberts was in LF last night @ AAA---Brown and Roberts have both been at the Major league level.

I wanted the Sox to sign Rajai Davis while he was a FA last winter. The Tigers might be a good trade partner. How about Jonny and Drew for Rajai or whatever it takes??? The guy knows how to create turmoil on the base paths; I like the sound of it. 

In the conversations I have heard featuring BenC since the Drew signing--I think he wishes he hadn't pursued it.

Drew is a much better player at a position with less talent in the league.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to FriendsofFrazee's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

It's not.

Please explain why, taking into account the new wild card has only existed since 2012. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I keep seeing people suggest how the Sox need to acquire Matt Kemp.  Really?  Kemp?

Jonny Gomes is hitting .231 / .333 / .381 (.714OPS, 98OPS+) with 5 HRs and 43K in 134 AB (32% K Pct), and many Sox fans think he is the problem.

Matt Kemp is hitting .243 / .297 / .407 (.704OPS, 96OPS+) with 5 HRs and 54K in 194 AB (28% K Pct), and many Sox fans think he is the solution.

Do I have that right?

Since the beginning of the 2013 season, oft-hobbled Shane Victorino has only played in 143 games with a .774OPS and 111OPS+.  And many Sox fans think he is the problem.

Since the beginning of the 2013 season, Matt Kemp has played in 123 games with a .715OPS and a 101OPS+.  And many Sox fans think he is the solution.

That sound about right?

What exactly is the appeal of this guy supposed to be?  That he was good in 2011 and 2012?  Back when he wasn’t injured all the time and could field?

Do I have to compare him to Bradley, too? 

Jackie Bradley has been worth 0.1 fWAR this season with a UZR/150 of 4.9.   And many Sox fans think he is the problem. 

Matt Kemp has been worth -0.7 fWAR this season with a UZR per 150 of -40.  And many Sox fans think he is the solution.

Kemp ranks dead last in UZR/150 for all outfielders in MLB.  He is second from the bottom in fWAR this season.  He is not putting up numbers this horrific because of some sort of mini-slump that he will break out of any day now.  Only Domonic Brown has been worth less fWAR this season, and Brown is still pre-arb, whereas Kemp is guaranteed almost $100mill over the next 5 years.

Basically, not only is Kemp not an upgrade at any position for Boston, he is the worst possible suggestion for this team to acquire.  Worst. Possible.  There is not a single outfielder who makes less sense for the Sox than Kemp.  Mention him no more…

The sox need to be sellers, not buyers anyway.

That is looking possible, but it is early to give up, and there are reasons for optimism and pessimism.  And its not like a turnaround would be unprecedented.  Don't forget - the 1967 Red Sox were 42-40 at one point.

And let's face it - the AL East has NO ONE with both good hitting and pitching.  If you are impressed with any of them, it is only because you are easily impressed. Toronto and Baltimore have questionable pitching, to be kind.  The Yankees are basically the same as Boston - some good pitching, some good hitting, utility players  everywhere else. (The big difference - Boston has some starters on the DL whereas the Yankees are counting on guys like Brian Roberts and Kelly Johnson.) Tampa is injured, weak offensively, and struggling more than the Sox.

Who in this group do you really fear? Toronto? They're getting by on some unsustainable hot streaks from their hitters and a career year from a 35yo pitcher.  Do people think that is going to last? I mean, people besides ADG?

It's not a question of "who I fear".

The sox are just not a good team and have 9 teams ahead of them in the WC. Not to mention they have never made the playoffs in their history when they are below .500 this late in the season. You are more than welcome to hang on to a very faint chance that they will right the ship, but I wouldn't bet on it.

That wasn't true last time you said it, and still isn't true today. 

The 1988 Red Sox were under .500 on June 7 and made the post-season.  This is the second time I have used this exact same correction on you.

It's also a pretty irrelevant statement, but that didn't stop you before..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

It's not.

Sure it is. The 1988 Red Sox were under .500 on June 7 and made the post-season.  How does that help the 2014 Red Sox? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I remember in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, there were a large number of underpaid SLUGGERS; today, there's a larger number of overpaid SLUGS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

we didn't want to spend that money on Ellsbury, why would Kemp even be a consideration for anyone? 

As always - 100% correct!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

we didn't want to spend that money on Ellsbury, why would Kemp even be a consideration for anyone? 

As always - 100% correct!

for starters, he would cost a lot less money so right from the start, you aren't comparing apples to apples

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I keep seeing people suggest how the Sox need to acquire Matt Kemp.  Really?  Kemp?

Jonny Gomes is hitting .231 / .333 / .381 (.714OPS, 98OPS+) with 5 HRs and 43K in 134 AB (32% K Pct), and many Sox fans think he is the problem.

Matt Kemp is hitting .243 / .297 / .407 (.704OPS, 96OPS+) with 5 HRs and 54K in 194 AB (28% K Pct), and many Sox fans think he is the solution.

Do I have that right?

Since the beginning of the 2013 season, oft-hobbled Shane Victorino has only played in 143 games with a .774OPS and 111OPS+.  And many Sox fans think he is the problem.

Since the beginning of the 2013 season, Matt Kemp has played in 123 games with a .715OPS and a 101OPS+.  And many Sox fans think he is the solution.

That sound about right?

What exactly is the appeal of this guy supposed to be?  That he was good in 2011 and 2012?  Back when he wasn’t injured all the time and could field?

Jackie Bradley has been worth 0.1 fWAR this season with a UZR/150 of 4.9.   And many Sox fans think he is the problem. 

Matt Kemp has been worth -0.7 fWAR this season with a UZR per 150 of -40.  And many Sox fans think he is the solution.

Kemp ranks dead last in UZR/150 for all outfielders in MLB.  He is second from the bottom in fWAR this season.  He is not putting up numbers this horrific because of some sort of mini-slump that he will break out of any day now.  Only Domonic Brown has been worth less fWAR this season, and Brown is still pre-arb, whereas Kemp is guaranteed almost $100mill over the next 5 years.

Basically, not only is Kemp not an upgrade at any position for Boston, he is the worst possible suggestion for this team to acquire.  Worst. Possible.  There is not a single outfielder who makes less sense for the Sox than Kemp.  Mention him no more…

[object HTMLDivElement]

Very, very well done, Notin.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

many of us want matt kemp because we know what he is capable of. He’s a middle of the order right handed bat who can drive in runs consistently. Comparing him to gomes is a joke. He has far better career numbers than gomes. Though he has not put up huge numbers this year, I for one believe that by getting him out of LA and into LF at fenway, his numbers would drastically improve. Having the green monster in left would help him out and playing a less demanding position like LF in fenway would take the pressure off of him defensively. And really what are our other options? wait 1-2 years for the marlins to deal stanton? what if they don’t? Kemp is our best bet if we can get him cheap and get the dodgers to pay some of his contract. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Kemp was an outstanding player. Something wrong now. Too many red flags. Better to pass on this.

Stabbed by Foulke.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Oh yeah, don't make a deal. Rely on Hassan...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Oh yeah, don't make a deal. Rely on Bradley.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Oh yeah, don't make a deal. Rely on Drew after you put him in the outfield...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Folks....if the season isn't over it's only because the East is hideous.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

change of scenery? 

[object HTMLDivElement]

There could be something to that, but I still don't like his peripheral numbers.  He never had a good K/W ratio, but it is now well over 3:1.  Steamer and ZIPS both project an OPS for the remainder of the season of about .785.  If he were still a CFer, that would be worth discussing how much we'd be willing to pay of the $107M/5.

But that kind of WAR for LF is kind of pedestrian.  And he has upside, but his injury background gives him a lot of downside.  I don't think I'd even entertain a trade without LA eating $55M.

I think it's like Southpaw said-a lot of people remember who he used to be.  His upside is maybe Victorino, and his downside is maybe Sizemore.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Kemp was an outstanding player. Something wrong now. Too many red flags. Better to pass on this.

Stabbed by Foulke.

why not put him though the paces and let the doctors make that determination?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

Doctors are limited in what they can find and predict.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

then continue to run Sizemore in lf at your #5 man

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

If the SOX medical staff gives Kemp a clean bill of health, he'll be dead in 2 weeks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

If the SOX medical staff gives Kemp a clean bill of health, he'll be dead in 2 weeks.

I was thinking along those lines...just a little less extreme.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Do I have that right?

That sound about right?

Kemp isn't a glorified over hyped one dimensional platoon player like Gomes, Nave, Carp, Holt and company.  With that said I'm not suggesting a trade for Kemp because of the price tag and prior injuries.  Braun is a real player who usually has "short term injuries" when he does get hurt while having a very reasonable contract but probably can't be touched with the Brewers doing so well.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

then get a new medical staff

STRIKE THE ROOT!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

We could theoretically test everyone.  How are you going to figure out where the K/W?  The doctor says his should looks clean, so does that mean his 3-year 3/1 K/W is going to suddenly go fto 2/1?  Or his .400 SLG% over the past two years.  Can the doctor tell you that will come back to .500?

Or say that the doctor says his ankle and should are clean.  Does that mean he gets any of his speed back, or is that gone forever?  His speed was maybe 6.6, now reduced to maybe 5.2.

Like I said earlier, if he were still a CF, a gamble on his offensive stats would be interesting.  And I was one of the ones that said we should look at him in the off-season, but now he looks too high-risk.

• Sections
    Shortcuts