Maybe, we are just not as good as we think we are ??????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Maybe, we are just not as good as we think we are ??????

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Yes, Bill, no pitchers ever make it to 35.

Question is, are they still worth NORTH of 20MIL at that age  ?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

lester is asking for 5 years at age 30....thats not exactly a big risk given his body build and past consistency

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

lester is asking for 5 years at age 30....thats not exactly a big risk given his body build and past consistency

key word, PAST !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Yes, Bill, no pitchers ever make it to 35.

Question is, are they still worth NORTH of 20MIL at that age  ?????

Was Curt Schilling worth it in 2004?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Check Clemens after 34 he is the exception but is Lester old at 30? Has he attitude problems or arm problems?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The mind boggles.  First, salaries are down this year thanks to Cherington's willingness to let large cost free agents like Ellsbury go. 

Second, the guys Bill is complaining about are the very same players who got the Sox into the playoffs and then the WS after two absolutely miserable seasons. 

In other words, Bill would not have brought Ortiz back last year and wouldn't have gone after Victorino, etc.  That's right, the logical extension of what Bill is saying today is that he truly wishes Cherington and Farrell had not brought us a WS in 2013.  Amazing.

Third, he apparently doesn't want Lester to stick around despite Lester being hands down our best starter with plenty of good years left and a great start to this season. 

Fourth, and this is an old theme of his, he wants nothing but really young and inexperienced players on the roster.  And, if the can't always get them, he wants really cheap players.  That way, once they really start losing, Bill has something new to complain about.  Why can't Cherington get some experienced players even if they cost a little bit more?

Fifth, the title of the OP implies we all agree this team is a sure bet to win the WS in 2014 when in fact no one thinks that. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Yup this post takes the cake- this is now the dumbest thing I've ever read. Ever. Bill-806: these are the same "twighlight" players that won a World Series. Are you the dude from Memento? Do you remember Shane Victorino hitting a big homerun in Game 7 last October? Did you complain about his long two year deal then?

As everyone else has pointed out- 2 year deals aren't long term, but with your memory issues maybe it is. Cherrington was praised last year for not getting mired down in long term deals and for trading away the bad contracts. Do you remember? Do you remember Carl Crawford? Do you watch any of the games? Do you listen to WEEI?

Please tell me the truth- you are an 8 year old girl from Sweden and this is the first exposure you have ever had to baseball. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

Actually the author of the OP is so short-sighted he deems two year extensions as long-term... and apparently believes that $16 million per season is "big $$$$" in baseball.

Short-sighted ???  Not hardly......  Where is Victorino with his 2 years left ??? What is PAPI doing with his 15MIL+ Extension ???  Oh yes, how many people on this board thinks Jon Lester should get LONG TERM big $$$$$$$'s ?????

Troll

More childish remarks.......   & I thought that this was a baseball forum ???

I call it as I see it. Im sure you understand that....You make no sense and continually post garbage threads like this that make no sense To trash the team. Very trollish.

besides Pedey, nobody on this team has a long term deal. lester is Not in his twilight and Papi earned an extra year after his performance. Try making sense SOME sense please. 

PAPI is DONE & LESTER may not be around in 4 years !!!

Ortiz is tied for the team lead in homers and RBIs and is batting a solid .283. Yet he is the problem?

Lester has a .257 ERA after three starts. 

Your thread title is -- maybe we are just not as good as we think we are.

Fine if that's your opinion. But how does Lester's extension have anything to do with what is happening this year?

How does any of the gibberish about long-term contracts have anything to do with this year, especially when anyone involved in baseball front offices will tell you that three-year contracts are not considered long-term contracts?

And how is Ortiz done when he has been one of the few producers at the plate so far?

Your supposed arguments to back up your title thread have no relation to each it.

You chided someone for his "childish remarks." Well here is a friendly suggestion. Why don't you try intelligently discussing a subject. Show us you have at least a couple of brain cells that can function on an adult level.

If you can answer the three question in bold with even just a little bit of reason and intelligence, I'll lead a campaign to never have you banned again. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Exactly. I have no problem giving him that.

As for the OP, we lost Ellsbury, Drew and Salty in the offseason. Victorino hasn't played yet, and Middlebrooks missed all but four games. All in all, a 5-7 start isn't exactly stunning to me.

Also, to Geo ... saw Bruce last night. Incredible, non-stop, three hours and 10 minutes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

Actually the author of the OP is so short-sighted he deems two year extensions as long-term... and apparently believes that $16 million per season is "big $$$$" in baseball.

Short-sighted ???  Not hardly......  Where is Victorino with his 2 years left ??? What is PAPI doing with his 15MIL+ Extension ???  Oh yes, how many people on this board thinks Jon Lester should get LONG TERM big $$$$$$$'s ?????

Troll

More childish remarks.......   & I thought that this was a baseball forum ???

You need to THINK before you post Bill. For example, how many years, in your mind, constitute a "long term contract"-the kind you said you disapproved of in your opening post? Whats "big bucks"-how many dollars is "big bucks"? And how old does a player have to be to be in his "twilight years"? Give me SPECIFICS. I think your OP is not well thought out and was written solely out of your frustration with the way the team has started the year, a frustration shared by nearly everyone here. However you seem to think its because of the contracts that were handed out; its not. Its simply due to poor execution and poor performance to date. Just 150 games left to turn it around Bill...where is nearest bridge again?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

No contracts over two years? No oldguys over twenty nine.  When a guy has a World Series out of a super hero comic book, dump him cause he is old and fat and whines and is bound to fail eventually.  And , after all the right to whine is reserved to those who whine about people who whine.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

The mind boggles.  First, salaries are down this year thanks to Cherington's willingness to let large cost free agents like Ellsbury go. 

Second, the guys Bill is complaining about are the very same players who got the Sox into the playoffs and then the WS after two absolutely miserable seasons. 

In other words, Bill would not have brought Ortiz back last year and wouldn't have gone after Victorino, etc.  That's right, the logical extension of what Bill is saying today is that he truly wishes Cherington and Farrell had not brought us a WS in 2013.  Amazing.

Third, he apparently doesn't want Lester to stick around despite Lester being hands down our best starter with plenty of good years left and a great start to this season. 

Fourth, and this is an old theme of his, he wants nothing but really young and inexperienced players on the roster.  And, if the can't always get them, he wants really cheap players.  That way, once they really start losing, Bill has something new to complain about.  Why can't Cherington get some experienced players even if they cost a little bit more?

Fifth, the title of the OP implies we all agree this team is a sure bet to win the WS in 2014 when in fact no one thinks that. 

Not TRUE ,,,,,,  It is about "KNOWING WHEN TO HOLD THEM & KNOWING WHEN TO FOLD THEM"  !!!       Ellesbury was/is a prime example !!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Not TRUE ,,,,,,  It is about "KNOWING WHEN TO HOLD THEM & KNOWING WHEN TO FOLD THEM"  !!!       Ellesbury was/is a prime example !!

Except for the fact that you don't know when to fold them. You would have dropped Ortiz before last year. How did that work out for you?

And don't strain yourself from answering the questions in bold in my post above. It requires actual thinking. I don't want you to hurt yourself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Just more bumper sticker nonsense.

Don't hurt yourself, trying to come up with a rational response to any of the previous posts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

key word, PAST !!!

5 years is not too much especially because the sox already have him. The sox know his history and they have rested him when needed.  Lester is a good post season pitcher and the sox should be in the post season at least 3 out of the next 5 years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

The FOURB's... go find a crazy woman pushing a cart in your neighborhood and try explaining baseball to her- you'd have better luck getting through to her than Bill-806 your wasting your time. Bill isn't serious he is trying to get a charge out of everyone. He has been saying Ortiz is done for 5 years. Yes he will eventually be right (see broken clock).

The whole "ya gotta know when to trade em" that's brilliant- please I hope Cherrington reads these posts because he has no idea that one of the keys to being a good GM is getting players in their prime without overpaying.

Next post from Bill will be something like "the Sox need to keep the young kids who will produce but trade away the ones that won't."

Bill any advice on the stock market?

I swear I get sucked back in everytime.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

I never did think this team would be that great this year anyway, so I'm not surprised at all this. I've been dreading the start of the season all winter for this very reason. Sad but true tale. I went into the NY series expecting to lose 3 of 4, so winning tonight would just be a bonus---and I HATE that it's a nationally televised game at NY, because the entire country will be focused on it if we get our heads handed to us. It will be "Yankee signings" and "Yanknee improvements" and "Jacoby Elsbury is a difference maker" all night. 

When you lose a guy like Ellsbury at the top of the lineup and think a couple of platoon guys with no speed will pick up the slack you know the team has injuries but even worse issues to resolve. Pede hasn't helped much at the 2nd slot either but he will get it going enough to help our team on both ends.  I'm not sure what Farrell does when Shane returns but I would have him leadoff off.  He is the closest thing to Ellsbury we have except for Grady who gives the middle of our lineup some hope. 

As far as Middy?  Even if he returns and/or has a a good stretch the guy is inconsistent and in my opinion will land right back on the DL at some point.   3B and SS probably probably won't really be solidified all season, or until hes traded.  I scratch my head everytime a fan suggests Middy being out of the lineup will increase our production or chances of winning.  Why? Because we did it without him all last season, it was Bogy and Iggy who held us up on both ends.

... As I said Bogy will be an all star at some point but he isn't Drew or Iggy at SS

... Roberts is 0 FOR 8 so far which I expected.  He is just another inconsistent bat with a career of weak defense.  Middy and Roberts are not Bogy or Iggy at 3B.

Changes will come but i don't see any drastic changes until next season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

I never did think this team would be that great this year anyway, so I'm not surprised at all this. I've been dreading the start of the season all winter for this very reason. Sad but true tale. I went into the NY series expecting to lose 3 of 4, so winning tonight would just be a bonus---and I HATE that it's a nationally televised game at NY, because the entire country will be focused on it if we get our heads handed to us. It will be "Yankee signings" and "Yanknee improvements" and "Jacoby Elsbury is a difference maker" all night. 

Good article from Boston Globe entilted "Red Sox have their share of Issues"

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/04/13/red-sox-have-their-share-issues/HzDNldZ42duZGVgWca1qLJ/story.html

PS...sorry you have to paste this link into Google or find the article...I tried to submit it highlighted but it wouldn't. You should be able to left click on your mouse & then right click, and box opens up that says "Open Link".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The thing is, you have to keep a balance between veteran players and youth. You don't want to wind up like the Celtics.  A disaster area. A horrible team. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Fifth, the title of the OP implies we all agree this team is a sure betbet to win the WS in 2014 when in fact no one thinks that. 

The thing is, you have to keep a balance between veteran players and youth. You don't want to wind up like the Celtics.  A disaster area. A horrible team. 

^

^

^

Amen to above & thank God for the Bruins !!!

Sections
Shortcuts