Maz's Article - People blaming AJ...for what? For their own failure

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Maz's Article - People blaming AJ...for what? For their own failure

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2014/06/time_to_stop_blaming_pierzynsk.html?p1=Topopage:Carousel_lead_headline

He also questions the Drew signing. Waste of $10.1M

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Re: Maz's Article - People blaming AJ...for what? For their own failure

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2014/06/time_to_stop_blaming_pierzynsk.html?p1=Topopage:Carousel_lead_headline

[/QUOTE]
    For years many in the AL felt that AJ was a very nasty human being.He  rarely played on a winner. The BRS knew this and still signed him. Now  he apparently disrupts the club house if Mazz is correct. Mazz wants to dump players at the trading deadline. The Sox got exactly what they wanted in this signing

Why doesn't the mgmt satisfy Lester and Lackey? They have the $$ and can match the Yanquis dollar for dollar. We know that GM made an offer to Lester which he turned down until after the season. This is truly a season that is all about trying to get younger. As far as Pedroia and Papi, Mazz delivered a cheap shot. We are not KC who waited for years to build a winner. Sox can do it quickly.

boboinfla

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

terrible article.  and i know he posts on these boards under a different (of course) moniker.  but the funny thing is not one thread comes to mind on here that "blames" aj pierzywhatever for the current standing of the Red Sox.  he actually has hit.  his numbers are pretty much dead on target for his historic average. 

mazz - that was weaksauce bro.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

he clearly said:  to blaaaaame    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

terrible article.  and i know he posts on these boards under a different (of course) moniker.  but the funny thing is not one thread comes to mind on here that "blames" aj pierzywhatever for the current standing of the Red Sox.  he actually has hit.  his numbers are pretty much dead on target for his historic average. 

[/QUOTE]

what moniker?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

AJ for what it's worth actually hits the ball every once in a while, I suggest some of the other Sox follow this novel approach---hit the ball.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Mazz gets crazy at times and more than not makes little sense.  A player who actually says what is on his mind?  I like it and too bad for Mazz.  AJ is a better hitter than Ross and I like him in there.  I doubt AJ is back next year and the press knows this so they can find someone to blame.  Mutt on weei was saying last night how bad AJ is to watch.  O well, AJ will keep hitting the ball and the press can approach someone else if they don't want to get yelled at.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to boboinfla's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    For years many in the AL felt that AJ was a very nasty human being.He  rarely played on a winner. The BRS knew this and still signed him. Now  he apparently disrupts the club house if Mazz is correct. Mazz wants to dump players at the trading deadline. The Sox got exactly what they wanted in this signing

Why doesn't the mgmt satisfy Lester and Lackey? They have the $$ and can match the Yanquis dollar for dollar. We know that GM made an offer to Lester which he turned down until after the season. This is truly a season that is all about trying to get younger. As far as Pedroia and Papi, Mazz delivered a cheap shot. We are not KC who waited for years to build a winner. Sox can do it quickly.

boboinfla

[/QUOTE]

Rarely played for a winner? If I'm not mistaken, he won a World Series in 2005 as the starting catcher for the White Sox. Went to ALCS in 2002 with Minn, ALDS in 2003 with Minn, and ALDS with White Sox in 2008. Do you remember how he destroyed the Red Sox in 2005 ALDS. In essentially 14 years in MLB, he's been to playoffs 4 times, a 28% playoff rate. 

Those are pretty good numbers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mazz gets crazy at times and more than not makes little sense.  A player who actually says what is on his mind?  I like it and too bad for Mazz.  AJ is a better hitter than Ross and I like him in there.  I doubt AJ is back next year and the press knows this so they can find someone to blame.  Mutt on weei was saying last night how bad AJ is to watch.  O well, AJ will keep hitting the ball and the press can approach someone else if they don't want to get yelled at.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Full disclosure, Mutt just noted that, even though AJ has actually been hitting, he is sometimes frustrating to watch because you want him to be at least little patient, especially when you've got a guy in scoring position (that particular situation) - but he is always hacking no matter what.  He didnt say he was 'bad' to watch per se.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AJ for what it's worth actually hits the ball every once in a while, I suggest some of the other Sox follow this novel approach---hit the ball.

[/QUOTE]

oh come on, aren't you happy with David Ross and his 100 something average. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Full disclosure, Mutt just noted that, even though AJ has actually been hitting, he is sometimes frustrating to watch because you want him to be at least little patient, especially when you've got a guy in scoring position (that particular situation) - but he is always hacking no matter what.  He didnt say he was 'bad' to watch per se.

[/QUOTE]

I was waiting for someone sitting in the car listening.  I like Mutt so I am not bashing him.  He reads my texts so I am in his corner most of the time.  Mutt defensive comments stand out more to me because of my conversation here over stolen bases being overrated.  Mutt said that AJ actually looks worse in person than on TV, backing up my statement on why to get to a game.  He mentioned how on a steal attempt AJ dropped the ball on the transfer.  Mutt wondered if AJ did it on purpose as to disguise his poor throwing arm, backing up my statement that stolen bases are not overrated. 

His comments seemed a bit over the top but he had my attention.  I usually switch over to weei around nine and listen to Mutt to 11:30.  He is much more detailed than the nesn post game show, imho.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

AJ P is not the only reason we are doing worse than last year, but his OPS is way lower than Salty's was, and the promised improvement in CERA has not materialized or cannot be proven.

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

I was waiting for someone sitting in the car listening.  I like Mutt so I am not bashing him.  He reads my texts so I am in his corner most of the time.  Mutt defensive comments stand out more to me because of my conversation here over stolen bases being overrated.  Mutt said that AJ actually looks worse in person than on TV, backing up my statement on why to get to a game.  He mentioned how on a steal attempt AJ dropped the ball on the transfer.  Mutt wondered if AJ did it on purpose as to disguise his poor throwing arm, backing up my statement that stolen bases are not overrated. 

His comments seemed a bit over the top but he had my attention.  I usually switch over to weei around nine and listen to Mutt to 11:30.  He is much more detailed than the nesn post game show, imho.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah, I like his insights.  I forgot he was on AJ for those 2 dropped tranfers too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A. J. has probably done about as well as could be expected. The sad truth is that A.J. , Sizemore and JBJ have not been adequate replacements for Salty and Ellsbury. That is far from being our only problem, but it is certainly part of the reason for our struggles.

Stabbed by Foulke.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AJ P is not the only reason we are doing worse than last year, but his OPS is way lower than Salty's was, and the promised improvement in CERA has not materialized or cannot be proven.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

yeah salty had more HR's and 2b's so for me to accept AJ, he had to be better in the field (i think he is) and close to a 300 hitter (he's been a little erratic)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

yeah salty had more HR's and 2b's so for me to accept AJ, he had to be better in the field (i think he is) and close to a 300 hitter (he's been a little erratic)

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

In my eyes, the botch of the off-season was not signing Salty.  If it is true that he would have taken 2 years anyway.  He was a wall ball monster last year.  And, whatever his defensive deficiencies, he a. has gotten much better over the past few years and b. was familiar and comfortable with the staff.  Alas.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeah, I like his insights.  I forgot he was on AJ for those 2 dropped tranfers too.

[/QUOTE]

No problem, I am glad you challenged me because you made me remember the best part of his rant.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Wonder why nobody is talking about Salty anymore?  He still has a decent OBP but as usual his numbers are dropping rapidly, not to mention his 8 errors and 17% caught stealing percentage.  At least AJ has a sort term contract, Salty wasn't worth handing a long term deal to.

Ross is the real problem he can't hit a beach ball at this point which doesn't help our already invisible offense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wonder why nobody is talking about Salty anymore?  He still has a decent OBP but as usual his numbers are dropping rapidly, not to mention his 8 errors and 17% caught stealing percentage.  At least AJ has a sort term contract, Salty wasn't worth handing a long term deal to.

Ross is the real problem he can't hit a beach ball at this point which doesn't help our already invisible offense.

[/QUOTE]

I wanted to give Salty a 3 year/22.5 mil deal.  I would not had risked offering him ARB though (even though he would had rejected it) because 14.1 eats too much into the LT threshold....Catcher has been one of our most controversial positions since 2008.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually...I got the sense that he was calling out the Sox player and management for blaming AJ more than the fans. If there is even a single player in the Sox clubhouse blaming AJ for the team's woes..then that is unacceptable. 

I've been saying for a couple of months that there seems to be issues in the clubhouse. If you watch the players in the dugout..the just don't seem all that connected. There is no leader among the players pumping up the team.

As far as him taking a shot at Ortiz and Pedey..it is well deserved...neither of them has stepped up as a clear offensive leader and since they are really the two "leaders" of the team..they bear a lot of responsibility ( not all)..to light a fire under the offense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

What is Mazz's moniker here?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is my biggest beef about AJ - always hacking away.   And swinging at a bunch of pitches outside of the zone.   I'm not the biggest AJ fan, but he is certainly not to blame for how poor our team's record is.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually...I got the sense that he was calling out the Sox player and management for blaming AJ more than the fans. If there is even a single player in the Sox clubhouse blaming AJ for the team's woes..then that is unacceptable. 

I've been saying for a couple of months that there seems to be issues in the clubhouse. If you watch the players in the dugout..the just don't seem all that connected. There is no leader among the players pumping up the team.

As far as him taking a shot at Ortiz and Pedey..it is well deserved...neither of them has stepped up as a clear offensive leader and since they are really the two "leaders" of the team..they bear a lot of responsibility ( not all)..to light a fire under the offense.

[/QUOTE]

+1.  Mazz was pointing the finger at team members and management, not so much at AJP.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Mazz is a hack and looking to sensationalize for page views so he's not exactly what I would look to as an authority. But, while he does no actual reporting or legit research anymore, baseball is the one sport he probably knows enough to have the credibility to whine about. 

His take on AJP is largely right. And, he was consistent about not wanting to sign Drew, which seems the correct stance at the moment.