Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pike2. Show Pike2's posts

Re: Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head

Two things are possible here:

Georom listens to Gerry on the radio too much and believes every word that he says about Beckett.

Callahan posts here as Georom.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head:
    http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1403449&position=0 another great article by gerry C on beckett's bad att and bloated sense of self-importance  read the sentence about how beckett has never been an ace...powerful, true stuff.... once again proving...
    Posted by georom4

Here's a question, geo...if Beckett is being 'paid like an ace', as Callahan says, how come Beckett is making 17 million and Sabathia and Cliff Lee are making 24-25 million a year.  7-8 million a year less is a lot of cabbage, don't you think?  What are Sabathia and Lee being paid like - super-aces? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1403449&position=0 another great article by gerry C on beckett's bad att and bloated sense of self-importance  read the sentence about how beckett has never been an ace...powerful, true stuff.... once again proving...
    Posted by georom4

Nope.  Nothing powerful about it at all.  Just whining for Beckett to give a big mea culpa, as if that has any effect on anything as far as the Sox moving forward and competing.  Its only guys like you and the lower-brow set of the rabble-rousing press corps that seem to need this act of contrition from Beckett.  

What is amazing is that your boy Jerry C. has such a hard-on to bust Beckett's chops, that he manages to twist Beckett's words into a meaning that no one else on earth has managed to concoct:  Beckett was obviously not implying anything about his teammates not having his back when he made his infamous quip about "what goes on the clubhouse should stay in the clubhouse".  He was calling out the leak, which was obviously not a player.  How could a reasonable person construe that as having anything to do with his desire to have players have his back?  

This articly is meaningless tripe G.  Seriously.  Beckett is an easy target and all the hack writers who can't fathom how to write a meaningful baseball article like your boy jerry C and Mazz are piling on.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head : Here's a question, geo...if Beckett is being 'paid like an ace', as Callahan says, how come Beckett is making 17 million and Sabathia and Cliff Lee are making 24-25 million a year.  7-8 million a year less is a lot of cabbage, don't you think?  What are Sabathia and Lee being paid like - super-aces? 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Exactly.  Beckett gets the going rate for a really good starter in a big market. Not "ace" money.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

Beckett had a decent season last year and was most probably pitching injured in September. I don't really see the need for such strong criticism by the media or in this discussion. It seemed to me that the entire pitching staff had a terrible September.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Callahan says Beckett has never really pitched like an ace, and one of the things he uses to back it up is that Beckett has never won a Cy Young.

In 2007 he finished second to Sabathia in a pretty close vote as I recall.  Then Beckett had a lights-out postseason while Sabathia got shelled.  If you took the postseason into account, Beckett had the best season of any pitcher that year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Callahan says Beckett has never really pitched like an ace, and one of the things he uses to back it up is that Beckett has never won a Cy Young. In 2007 he finished second to Sabathia in a pretty close vote as I recall.  Then Beckett had a lights-out postseason while Sabathia got shelled.  If you took the postseason into account, Beckett had the best season of any pitcher that year.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

There was also a lot of talk about Beckett being in the running for Cy Young last year. His ankle derailed that.

Nothing like February to bring out all the "I've got to generate hits" columns.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Maybe there is no journalistic conspiracy - maybe Beckett deserved to be criticized based on his conditioning, conduct and effort last year.....I know this is a crazy idea for some but maybe Josh himself is to blame for his bad press...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Maybe there is no journalistic conspiracy - maybe Beckett deserved to be criticized based on his conditioning, conduct and effort last year.....I know this is a crazy idea for some but maybe Josh himself is to blame for his bad press...
    Posted by georom4

Fine, he deserves critism for last fall. But why aren't other players geting the same heat? You keep dodging that question.

And for how long do we have to wring our hands over last year? 'Till May? 'Till June?

What can be said about last fall that hasn't been said a hundred time already?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

As for Jerry Callahan; the first time he or one of his fellow hacks get up in front of thier peers and apologize for royally screwing up a story, I'll go along with players having to do the same thing.

I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Posted by georom4

Yes, I believe that his poor conditioning contributed to his ankle injury, which contributed to his ineffective September.  And, yes, it is possible that being in the dugout showing solidarity instead of clubhouse chilling could have made some alchemic difference in the team-wide negative spiral of September.  This is debatable.  

But, the issue isn't that he should not receive criticism for his contributions to the disastrous finish of 2011.

The issue is that making him the scapegoat is crazy.  There were many who failed, on the field, off the field, in the FO, and contributed greatly to the demise.  Beckett, for his part, was one of the primary reasons that the Sox even were at a lofty enough perch that they could take such a mighty fall.  For 5 out of 6 months of the year, he was a total hoss.  That is not excusing his own late failure.  It is just providing a rounder context than your witch-hunt.

The issue is not that there is some conspiracy amongst the press corps.

The issue is that these clowns like Mazz and Callahan seem to think that, as mighty press, Beckett owes THEM some kind of mea culpa.  They go on and on about THAT being Beckett's ultimate sin.  And, for that reason alone, I am glad Beckett refuses to give it to them.  

I'll tell you what.  If Beckett starts camp in shape and raring to go (looks like that is the case) and goes out and has a hoss year, that is plenty.

The issue is not that Beckett is not repsonsible for his actions or does not have some cuplability in the horrors of September.

The issue is:  Let it go already.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Callahan had an early morning talk show on NESN before I ditched my NESN for the winter. He comes across like an arrogant, conceited, pompous windbag who will say anything to improve the show's ratings. Much like Felger and Mazz on 98.5.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" Isn't it required reading to read that before coming here?"

Actually it seems to be the other way around. Globe hack writers coming to the forum to get ideas and then riffing on them rather than doing the hard work of original reporting. 

I loved Kimmi's description of Beckett as a "competitor"...really gave me a laugh. Sure, he once was, but where is the evidence of that now? This is a big season for him to step it up. We'll find out soon what he's made of. His interviews so far are hardly encouraging. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Beckett had a decent season last year and was most probably pitching injured in September. I don't really see the need for such strong criticism by the media or in this discussion. It seemed to me that the entire pitching staff had a terrible September.
    Posted by FortMeade

LOL. I love your WC Fields signature line. I used to watch some of his movies and double over laughing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NunciRom. Show NunciRom's posts

" Isn't it required reading to read that before coming here?" Actually it seems to be the other way around. Globe hack writers coming to the forum to get ideas and then riffing on them rather than doing the hard work of original reporting.  I loved Kimmi's description of Beckett as a "competitor"...really gave me a laugh. Sure, he once was, but where is the evidence of that now? This is a big season for him to step it up. We'll find out soon what he's made of. His interviews so far are hardly encouraging. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

Mi casa su casa. Come on over anynight. We would love to have you sample Mama's specialty.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I have no problem with the Sox getting rid of Beckett but I would like to know who will replace him in the rotation.  It won't be anybody down on the farm, and to get a quality pitcher that will deliver 15-17 wins will not be easy or cheap.  Too many teams now realize that pitching is everything and hitting is easy to come by.  I wish the Sox had made just one move to get a quality starter...will still take Oswalt...even with injury prone history.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

" Isn't it required reading to read that before coming here?" Actually it seems to be the other way around. Globe hack writers coming to the forum to get ideas and then riffing on them rather than doing the hard work of original reporting.  I loved Kimmi's description of Beckett as a "competitor"...really gave me a laugh. Sure, he once was, but where is the evidence of that now? This is a big season for him to step it up. We'll find out soon what he's made of. His interviews so far are hardly encouraging. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

201131BOSAL137.6502.8930300110193.01466562215211759067671471.0266.81.02.48.23.37AS,CYA-9
    Becketts 2011 stat line speaks for itself

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NunciRom. Show NunciRom's posts

Hey Spanker, don't believe those stats. Figures lie and liars figure. Brother George is always ahead of the curve.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ooops, looks like another sportswriter has had it with Slosh Buckett...today's Republican...

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2012/02/red_sox_pitcher_josh_beckett_d.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I have no problem with the Sox getting rid of Beckett but I would like to know who will replace him in the rotation.  It won't be anybody down on the farm, and to get a quality pitcher that will deliver 15-17 wins will not be easy or cheap.  Too many teams now realize that pitching is everything and hitting is easy to come by.  I wish the Sox had made just one move to get a quality starter...will still take Oswalt...even with injury prone history.
    Posted by traven

???
    Buckett has won 19 games in two years...at a cost of $30,000,000
    what a bargain!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head : 2011 31 BOS AL 13 7 .650 2.89 30 30 0 1 1 0 193.0 146 65 62 21 52 1 175 9 0 6 767 147 1.026 6.8 1.0 2.4 8.2 3.37 AS , CYA-9 Becketts 2011 stat line speaks for itself
    Posted by RSF4Life234

If we had 5 Becketts, we'd be the overwhelming favorites.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Posted by traven

He's irreplaceable.  He took the mound 8 times v the NYY and TB, and we won all 8.  Like it or not, he's the man.  Everyone else on the RS lines up behind him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In Response to Re: Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head : If we had 5 Becketts, we'd be the overwhelming favorites.
    Posted by Joebreidey

this is solid truth he had a pretty nasty year in baseball in 2011 and was the 9th best pitcher in the american league 2011 as he finished 9th in the cy young voting. I guess some people are just to caught up with drinking the haterade to realise the truth.

But hey Georome, and all you other pink hats on the forum if beckett wins the cy young in 2012 will you admit you were wrong and leave the forum? or will you still  be chugging the haterade?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pike2. Show Pike2's posts

Don't dare call Georom a troll. That would be unthinkable.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Mazz Hits Beckett's Nail Right on the Head : this is solid truth he had a pretty nasty year in baseball in 2011 and was the 9th best pitcher in the american league 2011 as he finished 9th in the cy young voting. I guess some people are just to caught up with drinking the haterade to realise the truth. But hey Georome, and all you other pink hats on the forum if beckett wins the cy young in 2012 will you admit you were wrong and leave the forum? or will you still  be chugging the haterade?
    Posted by RSF4Life234

No, they'll ignore it. Like they do the stats.

Sections
Shortcuts