1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: McCann, Yankees near deal ...

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I guess the Red Sox have moved from No. 30 to No. 29 in the June 2014 draft order after the Yankees apparently forfeited their No. 18 pick to sign Brian McCann.

I believe McCann is the first free agent this offseason to trigger the forfeiture and compensation.

[/QUOTE]

So, if the Sox do not sign any QO free agents (the other QO free agents all sign with someone else who does not have a protected pick), we could move up from #30 to #17.

Right?

13 QO's:

Beltran, Cano, Choo, Cruz, Drew, Ellsbury, Granderson, Jimenez, Kuroda, McCann, Morales, Napoli, Santana

So, if we decide to sign non Sox QO player, we may lose a pick near #18-20. 

[/QUOTE]

If any team with a protected pick signs a QO we don't move up, and a few teams may end up signing more than one QO guy which would take away their second rounders as well, also im sure other guys will resign with their prospective teams.  I don't think we will move up more than several slots.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I forgot about multiple signings by one team.

The teams that have protected picks may not sign many Qo's though.

We could move up to #21-23 maybe.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

So, if we decide to sign non Sox QO player, we may lose a pick near #18-20. 

But if the Red Sox re-sign a Sox player* who declined a qualifying offer, the Sox effectively would forfeit one of their three accrued compensatory picks (currently at Nos. 40-42, but moving up with each draft-pick forfeiture).

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131111&content_id=63845866&c_id=mlb

* Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Napoli or Stephen Drew

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Woopy woop .. if they signed Martin last yr, they wouldn't be breaking the bank for a hot tempered, beat up, overrated player. Now they have only a kazillion -1 holes to fill -- pathetic given that payroll.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 3h

#RedSox negotiated with McCann. But they were well south of the final numbers. … Salty up next in catcher market?

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe

1h

It's almost hard to explain how much of an upgrade this is for the Yankees offensively compared to last year. About as good as it gets.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly..

McCann is a huge upgrade dispite what has been down years. He's still among the best hittng catchers in the game. 5 years and 85 is top of the market and time will tell if in the last few years of the deal if he's relegated to DH role...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 3h

#RedSox negotiated with McCann. But they were well south of the final numbers. … Salty up next in catcher market?

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe

1h

It's almost hard to explain how much of an upgrade this is for the Yankees offensively compared to last year. About as good as it gets.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly..

McCann is a huge upgrade dispite what has been down years. He's still among the best hittng catchers in the game. 5 years and 85 is top of the market and time will tell if in the last few years of the deal if he's relegated to DH role...

[/QUOTE] Agreed! There has been speculation that he is going to learn how to play 1B, so the natural progression from 1B is DH. They have a catcher they are hyping named Sanchez as he is the heir apparrent to the starting catchers job. Their only huge holes are in the pitching staff. The best chess move for the Sox is to help the Dodgers by trading for Kemp or Eithier it would allow them more room their bidding on Tanaka, though the Sox bidding would be just as good, I don't know if you would be able to get Henry and his group to do another posting thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

A perfect fit for the yanks.  Anyone with the ego to prevent a home run hitter from crossing home plate will fit right in.  Let's see if he will try that with Papi.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:

A perfect fit for the yanks.  Anyone with the ego to prevent a home run hitter from crossing home plate will fit right in.  Let's see if he will try that with Papi.

hopefully you don't know the whole story cause

that's pretty weak, if he was a sox and did it he'd be a legend

here's the vid

and oh BTW

''McCann had raised his mask .........................''

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

McCann now in pinstripes

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

here's the vid

and oh BTW

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

here's the vid

and oh BTW

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What does raising his mask have to do with anything?  Gomez hit a home run, was jawing around the bases and Mcann prevented him from crossing to start a brawl.  The ump should have ejected him.  If he was a real professional, he would dealt with it later in that game or in the next game they played in the form of an inside pitch.  Get a clue pinstripe.  Oh by the way he will be broke down like Tex in a couple of years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

What does raising his mask have to do with anything?  Gomez hit a home run, was jawing around the bases and Mcann prevented him from crossing to start a brawl.  The ump should have ejected him.  If he was a real professional, he would dealt with it later in that game or in the next game they played in the form of an inside pitch.  Get a clue pinstripe.  Oh by the way he will be broke down like Tex in a couple of years.

LOL  U don't know what raising his mask has to do with anything

and U R telling me to get a clue

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

[QUOTE]

LOL  U don't know what raising his mask has to do with anything

and U R telling me to get a clue

[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should raise that bag on your head.  You embarrassed to be a yankee fan?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

The YANK$ never learn .........  A big $$$ for 5 or 6 years to a catcher on the other side of 30 !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Zac is right but it will still be difficult to completely retool. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they wiggle out of the Arod situation though. They probably have enough to make the playoffs again next year but they will be looking forward to dumping some more contracts in 2014.

McCann is a huge upgrade in the catching position for them. If they can land Tanaka and Kuroda they should be well on their way to make the playoffs. 

[/QUOTE]

Don't see it. This is a panic sign by the Yanks. Good Sign for RS fans. Investing 17 mil @ 5 yrs w/ a possible 6th yr for a 30+ catcher, 1 yr removed from shoulder surgery is almost comical. These are desperate times for Yankees. McCann has a ton of innings caught on those legs, the idea that Yanks can then move him to DH, when the team is loaded w/ DH types makes no sense either. These are the moves that are going to cost Cashmen his job, he has not figured out that signing 30+ players to big $ never works out. IMO McCann has 2 good yrs in him.

As for the pitching part. Bringing back Kuroda who was terrible after Aug 1 last yr does nothing to improve team rather bring back something they already had. But the team has already lost Pettite and Hughes from rotation and Mo from back end. Tanaka for all we know could be another Hideki Irabu? The Yanks problem is they can not continue to throw $ at all of their problems. Until the Yanks can start to develope players from within they will continue to sink. The person Yanks miss most is Gene Michael who was responsible for all those great Yank drafts of past yrs and Cashman was lucky enough to inherit.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Don't see it. This is a panic sign by the Yanks. Good Sign for RS fans. Investing 17 mil @ 5 yrs w/ a possible 6th yr for a 30+ catcher, 1 yr removed from shoulder surgery is almost comical. These are desperate times for Yankees. McCann has a ton of innings caught on those legs, the idea that Yanks can then move him to DH, when the team is loaded w/ DH types makes no sense either. These are the moves that are going to cost Cashmen his job, he has not figured out that signing 30+ players to big $ never works out. IMO McCann has 2 good yrs in him.

As for the pitching part. Bringing back Kuroda who was terrible after Aug 1 last yr does nothing to improve team rather bring back something they already had. But the team has already lost Pettite and Hughes from rotation and Mo from back end. Tanaka for all we know could be another Hideki Irabu? The Yanks problem is they can not continue to throw $ at all of their problems. Until the Yanks can start to develope players from within they will continue to sink. The person Yanks miss most is Gene Michael who was responsible for all those great Yank drafts of past yrs and Cashman was lucky enough to inherit.   

[/QUOTE]

2 me U knocking them for making their team considerbly better

sounds  more desperate than signing him

Andy McCullough ‏@McCulloughSL

One evaluator on McCann: "He's made for New York." Scouts gushing about how his swing will play in Yankee Stadium.

Pete Abraham

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Zac is right but it will still be difficult to completely retool. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they wiggle out of the Arod situation though. They probably have enough to make the playoffs again next year but they will be looking forward to dumping some more contracts in 2014.

McCann is a huge upgrade in the catching position for them. If they can land Tanaka and Kuroda they should be well on their way to make the playoffs. 

[/QUOTE]

Cashman is not to worried about his job, the guys been part of winning 5 championships one as recent as 2009 using the exact formula you suggest as flawed...While it is true the Yankees have struggled in recent drafts and losing Micheals certainly doesn't help. If I've learned anything in my 50 years following the Red Sox is that the Yankees due to thier resources can always spend to acquire players to fill thier rosters...if anything is standing in Cashmans way it's the looming tax hit if he and the yanks can't get the payroll back in line...for one season...then it's back to buisiness as usual in the Bronks..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Exactly..

[/QUOTE]

McCann should be a very good player for the Yanks, at least for the first 3 years of the contract.  Having to go 5 years and give up a draft pick was costly, but McCann is definitely a huge upgrade over what the Yankees had last year.

After how the Yankees offseason went the last time they failed to make the playoffs, I'm not at all surprised by this move, and I'm expecting a couple more huge signings for them, which will take them over the luxury tax.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

here's the vid

and oh BTW

[/QUOTE]

First of all, I agree with you about McCann (I believe that's twice in the same month).  I don't see his actions here as being a punk.  IMO, he was sticking up for his pitcher, which I expect any good catcher to do.  McCann was being a good leader and teammate.

BUT, the reference to Varitek is uncalled for.  Seriously, when two players are in the heat of an argument that quickly escalates into a brawl, the last thing on anyone's mind is "gee, let me pause for a minute and raise my mask before we fight". 

Trust me on this one.  Any insinuation that Varitek was a wimp or that not taking off his mask is bush league is just silly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Anyone know what the expected Arb $$ for the NYY will be this year?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I got 17.2 million.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Traderumors has 14.8 they wont offer to a couple of guys. Stewart and Nix.

Robertson 5.5
    Gardner 4.0
    Nova 2.8
    Kelley 1.5
    Nix 1.4
    Cervelli 1.0
    Stewart 1.0

I like Stewart, as a Catcher.
    My pleasure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I got 17.2 million.

[/QUOTE]

TY sir! I was in the 18M range myself. Just wanted to compare to others.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Soriano is making 18 million, the Cubs are paying 13 Million.

Sections
Shortcuts